Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I should have wished everyone a Happy Loyalty Day yesterday. For those not familiar with it, here is an article from the local paper a few years ago that gives a good synopsis.

In 1958 Congress declared the first day of May “Loyalty Day,” a day for people to reaffirm their loyalty to the country and celebrate the freedoms of being American.

Sunday in Rutland, the VFW hosted its 49th annual Loyalty Day Parade — filled with marching bands, fire and police departments from neighboring towns and many other organizations. Over 100 groups in all participated in the two-hour event. Organizers say almost anyone can march. Governor Peter Shumlin showed up for the celebration. But organizers say there is one rule — no political or advertising messages can be displayed.

“It’s a great turnout for the people to come out and enjoy themselves without worrying about what’s going on in the world. Just come out, have a good time, meet friends you haven’t seen for a while and have all these people come out and display what they have,” said Ron Fairbanks with VFW Post 648.

Next year will be the 50th anniversary for the parade. Fairbanks says he wants to make it the best one yet. He even plans to invite the President, whoever that may be, and kick off the parade with a flyover from the Green Mountain Boys.

This year’s parade will be on Sunday. It is kind of nice to know that this is still celebrated these many years later. Not sure if it is done anywhere else anymore.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Meine Ehre heiBt Treue.

Well intended MB. And truly an extrordinary group of individuals in Vermont.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

With so much focus these days on what’s wrong with the country, I thought it was refreshing to see people expressing some patriotism.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I am loyal to the old America , but not the new Америка .

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Well I went to the parade and it really did give me a good feeling. I think if all of the big cities with their cultural rot and corruption somehow disappeared that small town America could rebuild into something closer to what used to be. Every branch of the military was represented, the VFW, American Legion, police, fire, local politicians, high school bands, a military band, Boy Scouts, pageant queens etc. All the usual players. The Revolutionary War (which is far bigger here culturally than the Civil War) was prominently represented very early in the parade with all of the wars since WWII following later. Patriot music of different eras, and the downtown area was packed with people lining the streets. An old fashioned parade with old fashioned people watching it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Cities are the cancer killing the rest of the nation. We should perform radical lumpectomy.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I didn’t even know this existed.

“Loyalty Day” sounds rather… Soviet. Don’tcha think? I read the post heading and had mental images of a parade of tanks and trucks carrying missiles in Red Square. Pass and review in front of Soviet generals with so many medals on their uniforms they could deflect a bullet. Really big hats.

Then I read your post, and I find out it’s an American thing…

Approve of the original intent, as well as the apolitical stance, but it puts me in a strange place ideologically. I fully support the Old Republic – the intent of the Framers, etc. But I detest what we have become.

Sooo, I guess I’ll just stay home and keep my mouth shut. That’s the most neutral stance I can think of.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In my view loyalty and patriotism are constantly under attack. Nationalism by populations is concidered a detrimental force blocking social change. One world order, agenda 21, etc, etc…..If people don’t care about their country then it’s easy to take it away from them through new policies, laws, or by force.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, perhaps you can take as a good sign the fact that the Revolutionary War marchers were prominently the first military group in the parade. The symbolism wasn’t lost on me.

I agree with 74. Those who wish to tear down the country do not like displays of patriotism. They want loyalty to their political agendas rather than to the ideals upon which the country was founded. They want to make the past irrelevant except for when it can be distorted to fit their agenda. The parade gave me a good feeling that small town America still believes in what we stand for.

As an aside there was a big 4X4 truck competition in the mud at the fairgrounds yesterday too. When I drove past it a lot of the trucks had either the American flag or the Gadsden flag flying from the back of their trucks. I took that as a good sign too.

Lot of luck trying to see anything like this in Baltimore.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

You ever notice those who criticize patriotism are the first to be all up in arms about their rights?

Happy belated Loyalty Day!

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I didn’t know about this! Happy Belated Loyalty day to everyone.

I detest what this nation has become too, but we’ve got to keep in mind that many Patriots are quiet these days… but they are indeed many. The American spirit is still alive. Want proof? We still don’t have giant missile parades and mass graves despite TRILIONAIRE funded well organized commie evil. That’s a true display of the strength of America even at Her weakest hour. America is extremely ill, but still alive!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

You ever notice who are the first to stick up for those that trample on your Constitutional as well as human rights , are the first to deny that the abuses occur , and make excuses for them ?
    My father fought against Nazism , and now our nation supports those that have ties to it , and there are those in government that would like the American version of it , and are doing their best to eliminate the document our forefathers created …..the US Constitution .
    I stand by my original statement . I would also remind everyone that the founding of our nation was not built on trust of government , the Constitution was written the way it was written , because of DISTRUST of government , so it is indeed patriotic to criticize and question those in authority . That is what helps keep free men , free . Those that do not are part of the problem , and in effect , have become an enemy of liberty , and the American way of life .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.