Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com/logistics-of-the-irregular-force-warfighter/

I found this article (and many others on that page) very informative and highly useful, so I had to share the knowledge.

Cheers!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Red!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Very interesting.

I agree with most of what is said there.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Mr Red.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

My main issue is with this guy bashing the AK so much , he neglects to mention the people using the AK have forced the United States out of several countries . Another thing , and its well documented , Kalashnikov was soviet tankman , he did tinker around while in convalescence from wounds ( it was a national competition ) to make a semi automatic battle rifle , it was not the AK 47 at that time , but his design was noticed and the soviet state granted him resources so he could come up with the AK 47 shortly after , you dont get the Soviet Unions highest decoration with a myth . Like anything else , this ” expert ” should be taken with a grain of salt , and like anything else , take what you want and leave the rest . Americans are the only people in love with the 556 , the Europeans think it sucks , and have been trying to get us to abandon it for years . If the 7.62×39 sucks so bad, how come you will never get any volunteers to go downrange and take a hit to prove their point . Ask any Vietnam vet how much of a bad round it is , especially one that had been wounded , and how many UH-1 helicopters that were shot down with that bad round . ” the 7.62×39 round is a 200 yard round ? NO DUH ! , that round was designed for close in , street fighting , like the Russians encountered during WW2 . It is also well documented that most gun fights are at 100 yards or less …………given that fact , both the AK and 7.62×39 are going to operate well .The 223 vs 762×39 debate is a tired argument . Your will to win for a cause , is better than gear , there are rebels with the will to win that have far less than their opponents , and have indeed won ……..like I said , the US has been forced out of several nation because the rebels have the will , and we dont . Just Sayin

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

That’s the thing when it comes to arguing when weapon platform or which calibre is better, everyone has their opinions. To me, the arguments about which is superior should honestly be irrelevant, since no one wants to be shot by any sized bullet out of any specific gun. If an AK works for you, rock an AK. If you like having a .308 battle rifle, then use that. If you just want to rock a shotgun, go ahead. There is no reason to tell someone they’re wrong because they aren’t using some fancy $2000 set up, if it’s AK, AR, or otherwise.

What we *SHOULD* argue about is what best ways are there to TREAT gunshot wounds and other trauma, since in the end, that is what matters. But that’s another topic all together.

Anyway, lets just not get caught up in those pointless arguments about which things are better than others, but continue to add useful information that can actually help us should we ever have to use some of these skill sets.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,
    One aspect of his weapon choice that is important is the weight associated with the ammo and the gun. He explains in detail that particular point. Being an old fart myself, running with extra weight is not desirable. Well running is not actually desirable. Most 7.62X39 uses 123 grain bullets plus a heavier case, so each round is twice the weight of one 5.56 x45 round using either 55gr fmj or 62gr fmjsc.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

What I did like is that we all need to use all of these weapons because you may have to use one from someone that got shoot. For many reasons that may happen, you run out of ammo for your weapon, your weapon breaks down, or you just have no other weapon around and someone hands you one that you do not own.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,
    “What we *SHOULD* argue about is what best ways are there to TREAT gunshot wounds and other trauma, since in the end, that is what matters. But that’s another topic all together.”

Anyway, lets just not get caught up in those pointless arguments about which things are better than others, but continue to add useful information that can actually help us should we ever have to use some of these skill sets.”

I have a better idea……….let’s not get shot!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Well of course, 74, it’s best to not get shot haha. But you do understand where I’m coming from. Being able to save a life is a skill set that you’ll most likely have to draw upon rather than the skill set of having to take a life.

Freedom, you’re exactly right in that statement. Being able to understand different weapon systems, even if you’ve never handled one or even seen one, can be important should you ever come across it in a SHTF world. For instance, here in Canada the AK platform is a prohibited weapon. That being said, I do have book and manuals on my harddrive for said weapon, should I ever come across it in TSHTF. Same goes with many other types of weapon systems, from little pistols to rocket launchers.

Army manuals are your friend!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,
    Not to be augmentative but “Being able to save a life is a skill set that you’ll most likely have to draw upon” This will mean I did not do this well “rather than the skill set of having to take a life.” If there is a real SHTF I will need to rely heavily on irregular force. I may have to save a life, I will have to fight to keep my own.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

To add my argumentative 2c, the AK keeps on working even if dragged through the mud. Something to like in a battle rifle…

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

74 I meant it in the fact that in todays world we’re more likely to have to use first aid knowledge before that of gun fighting knowledge.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Red, I like the article.
    Of course author have his own opinions, just like any of us. Some of those opinions simply do not stand for me (or you), it is normal, still there s some good info there.

And thing about what weapon (or caliber or similar) is better is hopeless anyway, I like AK for several reasons, some of those reasons may be stupid for someone, it is good for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.