Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

… having passed 60, not so likely anymore.

Ahhh…. Age. Interesting phenomenon once one has experienced the majority of it. <grin>

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, the mind agrees with you wholeheartedly. The body is not so willing however. I would reiterate the potential danger for any would-be loggers though. A guy died in a logging accident around the corner from me last year, maybe 1/4 mile from my place.

GS, it used to be I could work sun up to sun down and not get tired. I had endless energy and was pretty strong too. Now I find myself taking Ibuprofen afterwards and going to bed early and exhausted when I put in a day of manual labor. I still do more than most my age would even contemplate, but I have to push myself harder than maybe I should. It is tough for me to have something on my to do list that doesn’t get done and so I push myself. Slowing down doesn’t come easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    I’m right there with you. I need a dose of ibuprofen each morning, my coffee and an hour to get warned up before I can move without pain and stiffnes. After that I’m good for the rest of the day. Today is actually cool enough to cut wood so I’m off to get a few loads of firewood.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Yep, been there, doing that for a while now. I have also learned just this year that I’m more heat sensitive than ever before. Doing yard work in 98-100° heat in the sun simply dehydrated me before this year. But this year it finally “got” to me while helping someone roof a house – almost had to be helped off the roof. That was a real blow to my ego. And through the rest of the summer, cutting the lawn (large lot) with a walk-behind but self-propelled mower was more of a chore than previous years. I attribute at least part of it to letting myself get out of shape last winter though, and don’t intend to play that game again this year.

By the way – homeopathic Arnica 6c or 9c once you come in, and again before bed, can be quite helpful. I still use ibuprofen when I really, really need it, but try to stay away from it as much as possible. If you can’t find Arnica 6c or 9c, 30c should work ok too. Just make sure you know how to use homeopathic remedies so they actually work for you (nothing in your mouth at least 15-30 minutes before, or at least 15 or so minutes afterward). And stay away from mints, including toothpaste. It MAY antidote some homeopathic remedies, but I don’t specifically know about Arnica. It’s a great remedy for bruises and overdoing it with muscles (some women swear by it just before and then after childbirth, but we didn’t know anything about homeopathy when my wife was having our kids so I don’t have first hand experience with that).

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS,
    I had to look up Arnica, never came across it before.

“Arnica montana) A daisy-like mountain flower
    Used for: Bruises, sprains, soreness and swelling/muscle spasms from sports activity; arthritis set off by seasonal change; general muscle and joint pain.
    Available In: Tincture, homeopathic ointment, cream, salve and pills
    Herb Drug: Some people are sensitive to the compound helenalin found in arnica. If you develop a mild rash, then you are probably helenalin-sensitive and should stop using arnica.
    Interaction: Arnica is toxic if it gets inside the body. Never apply arnica in any form on broken skin or on an open wound. Never take arnica internally unless it’s in the form of homeopathic pills that contain too little arnica to cause harm.” http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/REM00027/Arnica-Dr-Weil-Herbal-Remedies.html

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, come SHTF, I imagine most of us will be doing more physical labor than we do now. In summer heat dehydration is an ever present danger. For me at least, becoming salt depleted is an issue as well. Not sure why I get salt depleted quicker than others but I do if I sweat a lot in summer heat. I add salt to most any food all the time. When I used to go for long bike rides (100 miles or so) I would take salt tablets proactively in hopes of avoiding charlie horses during or after the ride. You can buy salt tablets in most pharmacies very inexpensively

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.