Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

It seems all forums have a main divide of people that are where they intend to ‘take a stand’ and those that believe they must make a Plan ‘B’ to leave their current living place at some point. Therefore, some topics therefore are of more interest to one group over another.

Are you already at your retreat/location you plan to stay/BOL? If so, currently, what are the top 3 goals you are working on now as time permits? Your top 3 goals main concerns/potential problems you are addressing?

I now live where I intend to leave the earth. Or at least, in the immediate vicinity. Of all the many things that occupy my brain in spare moments as I live my double life working in today’s world, these are my current top problems/concerns/goals:
    – Figure out the cheapest most effective way to better camouflage my property/outbuildings and pond from travelers on a road. (I don’t feel I can go now drapping camo nets over everything without drawing some attention!)
    -Outfit an existing outbuilding at the far reaches of the property edge of the woods that I can relocate to if the main home draws unwanted people/attention
    -Collecting and relocating things that will make the home look of no interest as Selco advises. This will take some doing. I live in a rural area and there isn’t and won’t be a lot of ‘rubble’ around to work with later.

The first is the one I am having the most trouble with. I feel I have to have a practical, doable plan now. But no one says much that is of specific help where I have been searching.
    You?
    -

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I live at my bug out location. Two water sources, river and lake, and ample wild game (1,750 acres of forest that is sometimes hunted but only with bow.)
    There is a small group of preppers that will use this site. We are also loosely tied to a state wide network. There are buildings here that provide somewhat of shelter (we are rebuilding cabins when possible.)
    If we are found out there is plenty of space we can just “melt away” but still be within short walking distance of this place. Supplies are buried in some locations.
    Plant some quick growing bush and vines to act as a “blind” between your stuff and the road.

Robin

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

- Figure out the cheapest most effective way to better camouflage my property/outbuildings and pond from travelers on a road. (I don’t feel I can go now drapping camo nets over everything without drawing some attention!) –

Ok lets see Might be of a bit of help here in this area. Depending on the size of your pond and how close to the road it is. Planting low to med high bushes and trees could help cover.

When building your outbuilding, I had help with from my contractor father. Use new materials on the inside frame and insides. Use old timber and materials on the out side. You can even go as far haveing straight walls inside but they look as if they are crumbling from the out side.

If your location allows. Let grounds closer to the road over grow, making it look more like there isnt anything of interest here. or build a messy herb garden. By messy I mean plant it in a jumble that you understand whats where. but for anyone else it just looks like a grown over yard.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thank you Robin and Gypsy.
    While I don’t figure, due to my location, I will have to worry about masses of people, I want to do what I can to alleviate any curiosity of the infrequent passerby(s). I already have an outbuilding I am working on at the rear of the property. Because of the terrain/topography I have a problem view, that due to the elevation, would take ancient trees
    to cover and they’d have to be darn huge pine trees! Shrubs and vines won’t cut it. If nothing else the livestock would probably eat it! Ha.

Here is a cropped picture of part of my problem if you can see it in your mind: If you were standing on the road at the bottom left corner you would be about 150′ above the property, be able to easily see over the trees and see the lower outbuilding, roughly that area of the pond and that section of the barn in the lower right. You would NOT see the other outbuilding closest to the pond because of the terrain. This is my puzzle.

Perhaps there is not much to do. Help/suggestions always appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’m living at my “retreat”, but there are a number of things that I need to get done to make it semi-complete.

First and foremost is alt-energy. I’d love to get totally off-grid, but even having just some solar panels, a smaller wind turbine, and a good battery bank will be a life saver.

Become a small scale farm. I need to do more gardening and have animals. I’d like to get some greenhouses set up so I can grow some things year round as well.

Third would have to be just acquiring more supplies. More tools, more things to make other things with. The list on that is massive and ever changing to fit the needs.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva,

The problem: No where to hide.

If I’m hungry, cold, need stuff, I would check out your place even if it was mostly burnt down. The pond is a invitation all by it’s self. A bath, drinking water, maybe food, frogs, fish, cray fish.

A book selco has been quoted in. “Failure of Civility” The authors believe rural properties can be the most difficult to defend because of the large perimeters and easy access. They require more manpower to control.

I wouldn’t think about the problem as masses at your door step. How about 2 pickup loads of men with weapons. What would happen in that situation?

One of the first things I think everyone should do is a realistic evaluation of the tactical defensive capabilities of the property in question and your own group’s skills/capabilities. As selco has pointed out in his blog hiding your presence is good. However you have to know when to fight and when to run.

My house is a modern suburban style house that has the bullet stopping power of a card board box. However I live on a moderately steep hill with woods behind me. Any trouble and out we go, up the hill. We want to be the flankers not the out-flanked. If I have to shoot up my own house to keep some of my stuff so be it. Plus then we can run away if need be and come back another day.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hello Mr. Red – thank you for replying to my question. I don’t have as much need for a bug-out-bag or things related to traveling a distance to try to become safe. And although I very well understand that these are serious needs and considerations of those that must think hard and long on this; I feel fortunate that that is at least one thing I do not have to worry about. I was once there, but now I am not…and my concerns are a bit different in priority.

1) Understand alt-energy is #1 concern. It is a big, constantly-changing, multi-opinion subject. While I’m sure you have more knowledge and experience than I, if you feel that my own experience in accomplishing this objective in a cost effective manor would be of use, please kindly just say so. I would be happy to share what I have found to work for me, a middling beginner, as I have been working to refresh/relearn/learn skills and keep a firm hold on living happily, with positive thoughts, today. Currently dependent for refrigeration/freezing and well pump only (soon to be rectified)
    2) I have been a gardener or small farmer all of my life. I am more at home with nature, than with most humans have met in my life! Have experience with greenhouses (have), most animals (since beginning to ride at very young age on farm) – and have carefully selected animals for my own purposes now. They are a large consumer of time/often emotions as well as resources so, knowing that I was careful of what I am willing to be responsible for. Again, any help/bouncing off of ideas may be helpful, glad to oblige with my cheap 2 cents.
    3) Chuckle – as you indicated – this is often the universal desire of those of us than look and think ahead!

Best to you

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hello 1974t150v! Seriously, I can’t thank you enough for your time in reading my post, much less taking the time to comment. Life is very busy. Time is precious. Again, thank you.

Yes, the pond is an acknowledged draw if seen from this one vantage point. I knew that going in. As well, made it a point to get to know something about the ‘neighbors’ that join the property. Most fortunately for me, the majority are basically of a like mind. They are more than willing to assist in ensuring the pond is not a draw (as they do not have such a water source, other than the wells, themselves and they know I have stocked it/fish there themselves). For the one much younger couple recent from the suburbs, they support the idea simply because they feel it is a hazard for all those young toddlers that roam the countryside without their parents these days that might make their way through 3 acres of fields and fall in it and drown. So…ah, that said

The tactical difficulties of securing this acreage I feel are, mostly, well in hand. There are a couple of handfuls or so of people, with skills, and alert/barriers to impede in place. A few very large felled trees and there is no vehicle/pickup, but a tank that could quickly or easily get on to this property without us knowing it well in advance. Now a horse/rider or horses/riders – yes if they are able to stay mounted over 3 foot jumps (not that hard).

But the issue of camouflaging the pond so not to attract people on foot from this viewpoint remains. A few friends today made some interesting/creative suggestions. If I take my neighbor up on his offer to use his Bobcat or backhoe (which he taught me to operate a while ago)..they might work. But, I am still not convinced of today’s suggestions.

This property is long and deep. Given my background, early-on I ensured escape from the main residence or outbuildings to a place further back/unseen from all but one other place on property can be done relatively quickly with very little chance of detection. This is accomplished mostly by the use of ha-ha’s with a few additions, (thank you Mr. Bob-Cat neighbor). A sort of ‘prep’ I could do now without raising any eyebrows overtly.

Again 1974t150v – thank you for your time and input!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva,
    Sounds like you have thought this thru a few times.
    Evaluate your manpower requirements to secure the property.
    It seems to me that you and your nieghbors will need sentries to keep wandering souls from this vantage point.. You will not want someone up there studying your property with the intent of taking it from you. The elevation above your house is a great tactical advatage. If you haven’t done so invest in good radios for communicating with each other. Dwellings that are not in view of each other are tacticaly difficult to defend with mutual fire. Does this hill over look your nieghbors as well?
    Personally I have a load of problems with nieghbors and a man power shortage.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi1974t150v- Thanks for your help and consideration of my problem and things you are pointing out. It is hard for me, not having been in the service, to think ‘tactically’. I have hunting experience but that’s a bit different.

Sounds like you have thought this thru a few times. Yeah – waking up with a stranger in your room once is enough for me
    Evaluate your manpower requirements to secure the property. This I have to figure out how to allocate. Niece married in to a really big, long-time local family of mostly young men(well to me) -all are excellent marksman/hunters/woodsman – but a bit rowdy at times. Not sure really the basics of figuring that out yet. Do know if I don’t have a plan they’ll be roaming around on their electric ATV’s waving their guns or something ’cause they think that will be fun! Well, that’s an exaggeration perhaps….they do all regularly practice their stealth/quiet movement skills for all the hunting they do. None have been in the military)

It seems to me that you and your neighbors will need sentries to keep wandering souls from this vantage point.. You will not want someone up there studying your property with the intent of taking it from you. The elevation above your house is a great tactical advantage. If you haven’t done so invest in good radios for communicating with each other. Dwellings that are not in view of each other (oh good…didn’t realize/think…they are) are tactically difficult to defend with mutual fire.

Does this hill over look your neighbors as well? Yes, there homes are on the small section of road leading up to it.

Personally I have a load of problems with neighbors and a man power shortage. – Sorry to hear that because I have been there. But things can and do change – hopefully this will too.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well it sounds like you can muster a small army. Woods craft and hunting skills will help you a lot. See but don’t be seen and all that…

Well I’m no expert but this is not rocket science. Switch rolls and think about how to attack your place. Then solve your attacks. Night or day, one, two or three points of attack. Distractions and feints, fakery. Fire bombs. I’l be backers.

As I write this I think you could use hedge rows of green brier and wild rose to steer traffic to fire zones. Stuff with big nasty thorns. Labyrinths are the in thing anyway.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v – Thank you – gives me a thought process to attack developing a plan for this issue.
    Talking to Mr. Bobcat neighbor more think we are going to test out a plan for at least protecting pond view etc.first. Guy down road emptied is large pond to dredge it out. The years of letting cattle around it have made it too shallow/cattails have infested it. Going to have lots earth he wants to put someplace. He’s agreed to come dump it here. If we dump the big loads in a certain area (as if we intend to spread on pasture there to improve soil for appearances sake) and then move it around with Bobcat we can make it fairly elevated – make it blend in. After it settles a while can plant on TOP of the mini-hill area and it should do the job, look natural. Has about 8 of the big double axle dump trucks worth coming he figures. Comments welcome?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.