Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drop bear
    drop bear
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I’ve noticed that life has a lot of minor events, each of which had the potential to escalate, though I’m glad they didn’t.

I once/ had a drunk person pull a rifle on me, and a different occasion had a bag snatcher pull a house brick on me. Different strategies to survive. I wasted few words disarming the drunk. Too irrational to respond to reason. A few calming words, then stepped aside and in and disarmed. I talked the bag snatcher out of the bag using reason and guilt.

Learned the importance of reading the situation correctly and how one size does not fit all.

Used to hitchhike. Total of all trips combined, about 21 000 km. Mostly between inland and coastal Australia, often without much money, food or water. Occasionally ate cactus prickly pear or drank from animal troughs. Learned better preparation skills, especially as per food and water.

As a kid, we moved from the outback to a coastal city caravan park. Before we left, I looked at our rustic caravan park and prepped for the journey and anticipated caravan park life in the city. I packed a folding shovel because the outback caravan park allowed fire pits for cooking. By contrast, the city caravan park was modern, pristine. No fire pits. This was the first lesson I remember, often repeated through life, that I need to research better and be flexible, because the situation on the ground often bears no resemblance to what I thought in the beginning.

One sake short of crazed!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

This is an important insight drop bear. Imagine how many people wouldnt have been in their fatal traffic accidents if they would have simply done something quicker or slower or spent a minute longer chatting to a friend…

Once we get out and actually do things and do not simply spend time imagining we also often realize what is really needed. That’s why many people like Selco’s articles because he actually has experienced something that others just imagine (and most imagine as some sort of an action movie).

I think overall its very healthy to realize how little control we have over our lifes and accept that. Survival is an effort to have more control and it makes a lot of sense but in the end one wrong move or simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time can mean game over.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Bad events often happen from very small incidents, from minor things. It is very good if we can recognize that some event can escalate to the incident, and then do something, or avoid it.

It can stand for street confrontation, but also for big events, like our ability to see that some SHTF event is coming and that we need to leave area.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

You learn from every experience in life and hope when the next incident happens you can use all of your experience to save you and your family.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Drop Bear – great post! I think we can all use a reminder to pay attention to everything we can (keeps the mind sharper too!) and then do our best to correlate those together to make sense of our personal surroundings and situations to be better prepared to make those thousands of decisions we make on a weekly basis that ultimately drives our lives. Being flexible is an important factor – we often create our own misery by not being flexible enough because we’ve created own idea of what we want and don’t want to change that unless we are forced to – when with a different mind set (flexible), we could have been better off in the long run.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of drop bear
    drop bear
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yep. It all comes down to the brain and all the different facets of perception. I mentioned cordage in another post. All the books I have with articles on cordage led me to perceive it as the great mystery, so it was on my to-do list for a couple of years. However, an hour going over a couple of youtubes and it clicked. Seven half hour sessions and I did over thirty foot of Pandani 2 strand twist, ten foot of Pandani braid, twelve feet of polyester two strand, twelve feet of polyester braid, spliced loops in one end of each, and whipping at the other ends.

Oh what a difference a change in perception (from complex to simple) makes.

One sake short of crazed!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Listen to that little voice in your head. If it says run then haul ass! Too many people get hurt because they stop to try and figure out the problem. Do that and you wind up dead.
    Selco tells a story about a guy with a knife and a guy with a gun. Guy with gun was killed.
    Robin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.