Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

My wife and I started watching National Geographic’s ‘Life Below Zero.’ We have built a connection with Alaska and enjoy it there (but not this far north!). The folks NG follow are an inspiration for surviving in what at times can be very challenging conditions. Here’s link if you’re interested…National Geographic is doing pretty good job.

“Life Below Zero follows seven people as they battle for the most basic necessities in the state with the lowest population density in the United States. Living at the ends of the world’s loneliest roads and subsisting off the rugged Alaskan bush, they battle whiteout snow storms, man-eating carnivores, questionable frozen terrain, and limited resources through a long and bitter winter. Some of them are lone wolves; others have their families beside them. All must overcome despairing odds to brave the wild and survive through to the spring. Only the mentally fit will be able to endure the extreme test of isolation and endless work required to survive the many months of winter in the Alaska bush.”

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/life-below-zero/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LifeBelowZeroTV

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/life-below-zero/collections/meet-the-cast-of-life-below-zero/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, when the SHTF these families will not even know it happen. They go though extreme weather everyday.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hahaha they’ll look at the news and scratch their heads and say ‘what’s with the panic down there??’

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Oh they’ll notice,  when gas is $50 a gallon, bullets are not available and there is no milk.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

When gas is $50 gal all you’ll see on the roads will be the Amish buggies and 30 speed bicycles. It’ll be real quiet lol.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>chester, when the SHTF these families will not even know it happen. They go though extreme weather everyday.

Totally incorrect. There are very few people up there who are 100% self sufficient. Yeah sure they may be more well off than others, but that is the same everywhere with some who’ll do better than others.

How many of those from the show could go a full year or two without ANY outside help or resources?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes it is hard even for them but they are more prepared to live with less.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Chester – I knew I was missing one of these AK shows, thanks for reminding me!  Actually, I’ve been addicted to all of the AK “reality” shows.  Sure, some of it is probably staged, but the fact still remains that these people do live there and they do survive by their knowledge, tricks of the trade and determination.  Besides, being filled with a bunch of characters that live life to the fullest, I find myself gleaning nuggets of self-reliant living from them while being entertained a bit.

We watch all of the below –

Alaska’s Last Fontier (Discovery) – Mountain Men (History) – Yukon Men (Discovery) – Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

Agree that they aren’t completely self sufficient, but much more than most.  Add to that they live already in a remote area where the self sufficient lifestyle is a must, thus reducing the amount of leeches to be encountered when things get rough.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Alaskans can’t be totally self-sufficient because it is VERY hard to produce carbs there.  The only grain that is grown up in the Interior is some barley near Delta.  They can grow potatoes south of Fairbanks where we used to live.

The Interior Athabascans used to live on the brink of starvation during the winters, before civilization and Sam’s Club came to Fairbanks.  The Inuit on the coast had a lot more due to bounty from the sea. Most of the sea creatures had lots of fat which kept the Inuit warm (internally and externally) during the winter.  (And the Athabascans could dry and store salmon during the runs. It takes a lot of work all summer to prep adequately for winter.)

But, yes, Alaskans will fare better than most of the world, provided they have the proper tools and equipment to do so, and the strength and energy–and foresight–to work very hard all summer.  Not many do that any more so people will die there too, esp in the cities.  (Anchorage is where half the population lives–and many are on the dole.)

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Novus Ordo, my sentiments exactly. We also picked up on new show ‘Kodiak’ via Discovery Channel. We’re heading out to Kodiak Island this summer to check it out.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Chester.
    There s still can be find shows worth watching.
    I think everyone will “notice” that SHTF, nobody gonna miss it, but point is who is gonna have harder time on going to some other techniques of living.

People who are living more connected to nature gonna definitely have less problem with adapting to the new problems.

Profile photo of chris.alaska
    chris.alaska
    Survivalist
    member2

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

If you’re in to Alaskan wilderness living, you need look no further than Dick Proenneke.

It’s not shtf stuff, but pretty incredible just the same.  And even Mr. Proenneke relied on external supplies.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Chris – Agreed.  Saw them and then collected them – great story and well documented by Mr. Proenneke himself back then.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks Chris. My wife and I will check it out.

Profile photo of chris.alaska
    chris.alaska
    Survivalist
    member2

If you enjoyed it, you might enjoy this as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XP30aG8bE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.