Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Looks like the 6 Baltimore officers were correct about the knife, its a spring assisted opening knife.

By Maryland law, which Mosby said correctly, they are legal.

However in the city of Baltimore, which has its own law pertaining to this, spring assisted knives are illegal as they are considered switchblades, thanks to some overly vague wording. Ain’t lawyers grand?

Local authorities can enact laws more stringent than state laws, so long as they are not contrary to or preempted by state or constitutional law.

Looks like the arrest was legal.

This is not going to endear the PD to the prosecutors office.
    She doesn’t even know the local laws but is going to prosecute them?

Now personally I feel this is a bs law, and should be removed from the books.

However, it does put the situation in a different light, a felon in possession of a dangerous weapon. (By definition)

Lets leave the police bashing to all the other threads and focus on the real issue in this instance, a patchwork of laws that can create criminals just by crossing the street.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Once upon a time, if a man got crossways with the law, he went to prison to pay for his crimes. His rights were, naturally, suspended during this time.

Upon his release, the rights of his that were suspended were reinstated.

All of them.

It’s only been fairly recently – within my lifetime – that we forbid “felons” from exercising their Inalienable rights… those rights that come from the Almighty Himself and that no man can take away.

“But.. But.. But!!” they stutter, “We can’t allow dangerous FELONS to run around with pointy objects or (GASP!) actual GUNS!”

Stripping a man – any man – permanently of his inalienable rights would make the Framers of this country throw up. Then they’d probably stand the stuttering statist thug up against the nearest handy brick wall and have him shot. After due process, of course.

That said, if a man – any man – is deemed too dangerous to be trusted with ALL of the rights allegedly “guaranteed” to us via the Supreme Law of the Land, then he is too dangerous to be released from prison. I will concede that such men do exist, and should be banished from society.

However, to release such predatory types upon the unwitting citizenry, trusting that a politicians scribble will somehow “prevent” him from doing ill is dubious at best and delusional at worst…

Predatory types that are released upon an unwitting citizenry are a problem that will eventually solve itself. That being when the predator tries to prey upon an armed citizen, who shoots his a$$ righteously dead. Proving once again that power should remain with, and belongs in, the hands of the citizenry and not in the scribble of some politician or their enforcers…

First they said they were just taxing certain firearms as a “revenue generating measure”, and the courts scribbled and approved.

Then they said that they were outlawing only “dangerous” types of guns, or guns that were too small, and pointy objects that had a bit of metal in them, and keeping “felons” from having them. And the courts scribbled and approved.

Then they said that they were only keeping guns from those who were potentially a threat – domestic violence, itself a misdemeanor charge based on hearsay – and the courts scribbled and approved…

Then they said that they only wanted to keep guns out of the hands of the “mentally ill”, neglecting to say exactly who gets to define what “mentally ill” is, how it will be applied, when Due Process will be served, etc. And the courts scribbled and approved…

Sooner or later, this country is going to collapse under the weight of the crushing burden of political scribbles we have to obey, or else… and then it will burn…

The politicians are too effing stupid to see the catastrophe they are causing…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

After the Sullivan Act was passed in Ny gun crimes went up 18%. Felony felony felony for everything.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have to echo a bit of Malgus’ post. It does make you wonder how someone can be “rehabilitated” in prison when they are released without any rights or ability to find work. No wonder so many go back to the life that sent them to jail. There is no other life left for them upon release.

http://ageofdecadence.com

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Did some looking around after I posted….. It appears that there are several groups that are fighting knife laws as a 2nd Amendment issue. Not sure I have many feelings about this as a yet, but I do have to agree that they do have a bit of a point. Knives have been “arms” much longer than firearms have. It also makes me wonder how this would affect the legality of carrying a sword around as well.

Knife Rights

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Knives have been “arms” much longer than firearms have. It also makes me wonder how this would affect the legality of carrying a sword around as well.

Sled, Free Men go armed. Slaves do not. Even the ancient Romans knew this.

How he chooses to go armed is not the concern of the Almighty State. If he feels perfectly fine carrying a pointy stick, then so be it and it is nobody’s place to say otherwise. If someone else feels compelled to carry a sidearm of some kind, then so be it.

Blade or firearm, what a man chooses to defend his hearth, home, family and honor with is no business of the state. Over a hundred years ago, a visitor to America – from France I believe – remarked that he had never seen so many citizens walking around sporting sidearms openly… and that he had never seen a more polite society.

But that was back when the world was still sane…

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Sled, Free Men go armed. Slaves do not. Even the ancient Romans knew this.

lol…. Just so you know: You are talking to someone that even CCW at least my NAA .22 mag while at the gym and is never without a knife.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The Roman resettled barbarian tribes inside the empire and took their weapons. When the Romans started treating them as scum the barbarians rearmed themselves and the revolt was on. The Romans lost Legions because of it. Books on cops have been written in the U.S. referring to the cops as the Praetorian Guard. The weapons are slightly different but the people are the same. On some metaphysical level you could call it reincarnation thru time. lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In the end the knife will end up as a legal instrument. Baltimore’s law is preemptived by state law. This will only go to prove lots of other individuals were wrongly accused.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Depending on the state constitution, it may not.

Here’s the other side to this.

Baltimore PD has been using this interpretation for how long?
    Supported by who? The District Attorneys office who has prosecuted the cases.
    If this was the legal action at the time, supported by training and prosecutions, they are going to have more than a hard time going back and saying it was illegal.

They have set precedent previously.

And if the officers training and policy/procedures have this in them, the officers are off the hook and the department and DAs office is.

Again, if they were following department policy and procedures, the blame falls on other shoulders.

The laws may be changed tomorrow, but they can’t change them retroactively to fit the will of a lynch mob.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If I had a knife business in Baltimore I’d start selling premium switchblades. There’s opportunity in chaos.

The Gray memorial avenger. Special $100

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

You gotta love this…

Baltimore PD has been using this interpretation for how long?
    Supported by who? The District Attorneys office who has prosecuted the cases.

Selective prosecution. DA’s always desire higher office. Always. And the only way to obtain that is on a road paved with prosecutions. Lots of them. For anything and everything. So long as they can point to a “conviction rate” of close to 100%, they can crow about being all about Law and Order (shyeah…), so it’s in their personal best interest to destroy as many lives as humanly possible.

But no, there’s no conflict of interest here, is there? Nooooo… nothing to see here. Keep moving you proles…

If this was the legal action at the time, supported by training and prosecutions, they are going to have more than a hard time going back and saying it was illegal.

A pack of statist thugs puts their scribble on something and that automatically makes it “legal”… feh. A bunch of guys were hanged in Germany back in ’45 and ’46 for doing things that were perfectly “legal” at the time…

They have set precedent previously.

Individual cases should be tried on their own merit and circumstances, not based on some similar thing that happened before, possibly in the distant past… end up making decisions based on the decisions that other people made under different circumstances rather than treating the case as unique.

And if the officers training and policy/procedures have this in them, the officers are off the hook and the department and DAs office is.

It’s not MY fault! I just enforce the law, I don’t make it. You don’t like the law? Then change it.

That pretty much how it goes? When the SHTF, “just following orders” will get about as far as it got those same guys in Germany back in ’45 and ’46…

Again, if they were following department policy and procedures, the blame falls on other shoulders.

Ah yes, “qualified immunity”…. the “Get Out Of Jail Free” card for the enforcer goons and the DA. Do whatever you want working for the Elites, under color of law, afforded all sorts of perks and protections… but “qualified immunity” has got to be the best one. It is literally you being able to do what you want, to whomever you want, how you want, no matter how egregious or incompetent, and so long as you claim you were just doing your job or following orders or following precedent, you can’t be touched…. you can destroy anyone, for any reason you can conjure up, and you cannot be held accountable…

The laws may be changed tomorrow, but they can’t change them retroactively to fit the will of a lynch mob.

Isn’t “changing them retroactively” closely related to “setting precedent”?

Loving how if you work for one side, you get to apply things that happened before to destroying someone’s life, but then disallowing the other side to apply the same reasoning to obtain freedom or relief…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

If I had a knife business in Baltimore I’d start selling premium switchblades. There’s opportunity in chaos.

The Gray memorial avenger. Special $100

So you’ll be selling at a loss?

You obviously haven’t priced premium auto knives recently.

I just sold a used one for $175

Are you going to sell Trayvon memorial Skittles and Brown memorial cigars also?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Are you going to sell Trayvon memorial Skittles and Brown memorial cigars also?

Why not? There’s loads of chumps who will buy anything… poor taste notwithstanding…

I had a theory once. I wagered that I could go out into the back yard and scoop up some dried dog sh*^, spray paint it flat black with a can of Krylon, hot glue some velcro to it and call it “Tactical”… sell each tactical poo for about 30 bucks… plus shipping…

I know some damn fools will buy it… make all sorts of bank off of my dog’s poo…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, you are missing the point.

The same DAs office has set precedent previously by prosecuting these cases, their sudden flip flop because of the lynch mob will make the situation untenable and possibly invalidate any prosecution

Actually the blame and liability would fall on the department if the training was faulty and/or incorrect.

Your nazi comparison is hardly appropriate, but expected.
    In this instance its more akin to the city fathers of Tombstone saying people couldn’t wear guns in town all those years ago.

No setting precedent is not retroactive, you should understand that.
    Much like the Commiefornia SKS ban where they changed their minds and made the now registered SKS’ s illegal retroactively. However those actions may set a precedent for future legal actions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.