Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

My take is this , my family helped shape this country , they were here before it was a country , My family fought in the revolution , and have 24 confirmed relatives that fought for the Confederacy . I can understand someone making a choice to leave the country , and go to a place that may be better when hard times hit , nothing wrong with that . But for me , too much blood has been spilled to try to make this country into something , I would rather stay here and fight again , than leave .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I’m stayin’….

I got my reasons… not all of them, I think, y’all would think are good ones…

And that’s all I’m saying about that.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

It’s just an option I hadn’t really explored and thought that it might be worth looking into. Both of my Grandfathers served in WWII and it pains me to think about leaving behind so much hard work and sacrifice by many men braver and greater than I.

Gun control is of course a big problem with many nations, and about 80% are eliminated right there for me.

I totally understand the sentiment of not leaving home, and I am unlikely to leave for the simple fact that I would have one hell of a time convincing other members of my group to just up and leave.

I have my own concerns about just why the United States may be among the worst places to be in the future, but i shall keep them to myself for the time being. Thanks for the input and contributions for those who added them!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Darth,
    I don’t think you’ll surprise anyone :)

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

WhiteKnight, none of us can know the future but sometimes we can look to the past. The town I came from in MA is about 350 years old. It survived devastating Indian attacks twice and a multitude of smaller scale attacks. During one period of the French & Indian Wars those who lived inside the palisade opened their homes every night for those who lived outside the palisade to find safety for the night should the Indians attack. Over the centuries the Town survived the excesses of Mother Nature again and again as well as depressions and economic dislocations. For all of those many generations every year the townspeople gathered as they still do for Town Meeting to discuss and decide upon all of the Town’s business, with all having an equal say and an equal vote. The people are in charge, not Mayors and Town Councils. For centuries volunteers and committees have done much of the Town’s work. Come SHTF I can all but guarantee the first thing that would happen is a Town Meeting would be convened and volunteers and committees would kick in to do what is needed by the community. It is part of the Puritan heritage in which you have community responsibility and individual accountability. It is a typical small New England town. The culture I describe no longer exists in our urban/suburban areas but in the countryside it does. I have only been part of my current community in Vermont for 5 years and I haven’t been as involved with Town affairs as I had been in MA, but the underlying culture is the same. It is what I understand and it is what I am comfortable with. New England is home. Whatever comes our way, we’ll give it our best shot.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Don’t forget, as a ‘foreigner’ from the US in another country, if the US goes down, you might find yourself a target from the locals. Most of us cannot hide our skin color nor our speech. It would take many years, in my opinion, to integrate into another, totally different society and culture. And even then, as Selco has often pointed out, just being the ‘outsider’ can cost you when things get bad.

Here in the US, even though it has gone almost totally down the tubes in the past 6 years (and of course it began years previously)–most of us are familiar with the environment, the resources, the culture, the worldview. And can survive fairly well within that framework. In another country, no matter what it looks like from a tourist standpoint–or someone’s ‘rating’ list–actually living there full time is a VERY different story. Especially if you are not the ‘rich’ short-term foreign visitor, but trying to share scarce resources in bad times.

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

You guys bring up some real good points. Strong enough that you’ve convinced me to stay (although the chances of me having left even if I had the money were pretty low.)

I guess the city life has blinded me to the fact that real communities exist in the rural areas. I cannot wait to move out there. I even picked out a house with some good property in a farming community (probably will get bought before I get the money but there will be others). In 3 years I’ll have the finances to do it I believe.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

WhiteKnight, I thing that is a great idea. As a Cuban that my father ran from the communist like millions of other Cubans he has told me many times that was not the right way. If all the Cubans would have stayed there would have been a civil war in Cuba a long time ago.

This is why I have learned that as an American I will not leave, will fight to the end. We will win this way. God is with us. No to running from evil.

If you where to go to another country and saw what was happening here you would want to be here with all of us to the end. Molon Labe!

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks Freedom

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.