Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I fully appreciate a lot of us always want to see/do the fun and exciting training skills when we attend courses, but as a full time instructor I gently remind people that the mundane can be just as vital. Thought I’d share this video I made a little while ago about some thoughts on Latrine Routines- A subject often overlooked, but of significant importance…

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Toby C – thanks for the video. But did you make this only for men? For women, urination in the woods/outside a wc is not the same of course!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby C. Thanks for the video.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good video Toby, it is really important thing, but somehow most people act like it is not.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Indeed. Tragically field expedient hygiene concepts and techniques are massively absent from many peoples minds and skill sets, I see so many just trying to ‘replicate’ modern toilet facilities in their preparation/execution it’s no longer funny. Understanding the fundamentals and having robust solutions to this critical issue is vital. We’re aware sanitation is one of the most influential inventions of the last 150 years, so we know it’s important, but we can’t just approach it with a ‘one option’ mentality…

Profile photo of sargemsb
    sargemsb
    Survivalist
    member1

Great post. As a career soldier who has defecated in the field on multiple continents in all seasons and conditions, I certainly appreciate this video. I would like to add to it from my experience.

Covering the defecation site (How nicely would you put it?) with a rock, log, or bark is something I have done extensively when the ground is frozen. In warmer weather it is usually possible to use the heel of your boot to dig a small hole in which to defecate, then cover it back up.

Burning the tp (if you are using tp) is only a good idea if you use the same caution with which you would build a campfire. You don’t want to start a forest fire just to burn your tp.

If you are going to be in a static position for a number of days, you may want to dig a latrine pit. This can be done even in sub-zero weather by building a fire on the ground after you have cleared away any snow. After the fire has burned down to coals, scrape away the coals and dig where the fire was. Continue burning and digging in the same hole until the desired depth is reached.

Special operators and snipers will carry a supply of ziplock bags into which they will defecate and then take with them when their mission is complete.

Personal hygiene after urination/defecation is of extreme importance in a survival situation. The U.S. military puts alcohol wipes inside each MRE package for a good reason. The Israeli army lost a number of soldiers during the Yom Kippur war because of poor hygiene. An alternative to alcohol wipes is a wet wash cloth and dish soap in a ziplock bag. Carrying this next to your skin in cold weather will keep it from freezing.

I hope these ideas will be useful to anyone who reads them.

I swear that I will defend the Constitution against all enemies - foreign and domestic. Sargemsb

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Some excellent points and guidance given there Sgt, many thanks!

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks Toby. And thanks sarge for your input. Hygiene and sanitation are often overlooked. So many things can go wrong if sanitation is not understood and practiced. Just look throughout history at the many pandemics people suffered through due to poor sanitation/hygiene. Cholera, Typhoid, etc. I wonder how many people would contaminate a freshwater supply by choosing a poor location for a latrine?

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.