Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hey Everyone,

Here is Selco’s latest blog post:

http://shtfschool.com/basic-survival/reality-check/

Do you think too many people (overly)rely on information from the internet?

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

As usual, Selco moves the magnifying glass in and out to achieve a fine-point focus – and perhaps jar some back to reality from fantasy. Personally, I needed and appreciated it, and it will generate some excellent internal (i.e. within my own household) reassessment of our plans and preps.

I live near a major military installation, and have occasion to go into town. When approaching the installation, there are multiple billboards erected along the final 2-3 miles of Interstate that ends there, advertising military-related equipment. And the companies that do considerable business in personal military (and law enforcement) equipment line the major highway along the northern boundary of that installation. While needed and providing a useful service with many great products, I more than suspect that veterans of multiple combat deployments over the past 20 years would echo what Selco has to say in the article. It’s “cool” to have all the latest-greatest gear, and some of it could make a critical difference in some situations. But the reality of SHTF brings out the points made in the article. Hopefully that realization won’t occur then – too late for the person in the situation.

Much of it is a mindset, along with very basic skills to be employed. Thank you Selco and Toby. I wish I lived nearer to San Antonio.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Whatever it is people will deal with or they won’t. Its amazing how many new products I see in the stores and for sale off internet sites. I buy magazines and they’re like product catalogs for survivalists and hunters. Better scopes clothing ammo tents food stoves … everything is being reengineered. The old aluminum pot to melt snow in is gone and collapsible cook wear is in. The “bug out bag” has entered the language. Everyone knows what it is now.
    The item in Selco’s article that stood out the most to me was the wrong order of the survival list. It always starts with defense. Knife food fire. Or from the family perspective. Protection safety shelter food water sleep. Survival plans, no doubt because of the incompetence of Obama government have already been put into motion. The rich moving to bunkers and others into walled enclaves / safe areas. The people who really don’t have a clue are most likely statistics. They can’t won’t or are unable to protect themselves. Reality check. Some of us will be spending our last minutes taking out the vermin. Nothing wrong with that.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Just too clarify the list in this article of the Seven ‘pillars’ is not in ‘priority’ order. Priority of each aspect will change depending on event, environment, individual competencies and timescales, to name just a few of the ‘influencers’ on decision making.

Hope this helps

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

1. Intuition

2. Reason

3. Chance

4. Serendipity

5. Fear

6. Confusion

7. Uncertainty

Hi Toby. I didn’t try to write those in any order. But as you know it’s an ugly situation in the US right now and will probably get worse before it gets better. I think I’ll call them … decision points.

Just one further thought. From the tale of two cities. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

This is definitely not any you tube survival advice. :-)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I appreciate Selco trying to hammer some reality into the heads of people. Those who have been in military combat have an inkling of that reality. Most do not.
    I have not, but did have my eyes opened by years of working in the Third World. Learned two things: First: Water, clean water is the first survival priority on my list. I’ve seen the disease and misery from lack of it. Second, you can make do with a lot less than you think IF you use your brain.
    Another cynical note: We in Oklahoma just had a forecast of bad ice storms for the next several days. Walmart shelves are empty and people were fighting over bread, some grabbing it from others’ carts and running. To quote the Bible, if they do these things in the green tree, what will be done in the dry???
    I have no illusions as to how bad it will be when things actually go down. I think and hope that we have a reprieve for a couple of years, but that can disappear in a few seconds of misguided, arrogant decisions from TPTB.
    Trust in the Lord and keep your powder dry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.