Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

The story below got me to thinking what I’d be willing to eat in SHTF. Traveling in Mexico I’ve eaten all kinds of interesting foods. It’s a wonder I’m not dead. One of the more interesting animals I’ve eaten is rattlesnake via South Texas (my father and I had a ranch there). Turned out I liked it fried with cold beer. I think most of us would go outside our comfort zone to eat in SHTF.

Bon appetit :)

“LA Health Officials Take Action After Local Supermarket Sells Raccoons As Food” « CBS Los Angeles http://cbsloc.al/1Me6uU0

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well there are many in the everglades here in Florida. Alligator taste like chicken. I believe they will eat each other! Not joking.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Raccoon is good. Just boil it in apple for a bit then either stew it or smoke it with apple chips. Very tasty.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well didn’t know sledjockey, there are a lot of Raccoons here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

They sold possum at the local stores on the eastern shore of Md when I lived there. Coons mostly were just for hides, they brought $25.00 each.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

I remember me and my brother hunting when we were teenagers. There was more than one time we discussed whether or not to shoot something as food. It generally went like this.

“You suppose that (points at animal) would taste good if Mom fried it?”
    “Lets find out. Shoot it.”

We ate lots of racoons, turtles, squirrels, rabbits and deer.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Coon baked makes a great meal.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Eating coons as food out there? The drought must be really bad. Overpopulation is a bummer. They’ll compete with the rats for food. A lot of foraging and house invasions going on fersure. They’re nocturnal. As for the explannation they’re a delicacy in China…. LOL

everything get eaten in china. $ 9.99 a pound …. outrageous. Dog will be next.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Someone will get a big fine for market hunting. Makes me wonder how many they sell a week. I should check into China town and see if there is a real market.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

most British people don’t have a clue where their food comes from, in some cases not even which animal, most have seen “Bambi” too many times to eat Venison or “Watership down” in the case of Rabbits. once the food deliveries stop most will starve. we had a “scandal” a while back where horse meat was labelled and sold as beef and there was an uproar about that.

British Survivalist.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>Eating coons as food out there? The drought must be really bad. Overpopulation is a bummer. They’ll compete with the rats for food. A lot of foraging and house invasions going on fersure. They’re nocturnal. As for the explannation they’re a delicacy in China…. LOL

everything get eaten in china. $ 9.99 a pound …. outrageous. Dog will be next.

Turning ones nose up at good eatin ain’t healthy survival wise.

Spend some time in a depressed area and you find that a lot of things are simply meat.
    A friends mother growing up was a cajun.
    What’s for dinner? Dinner was her reply. Didnt matter what it was, it all tasted good.

We used to go hunting as kids.
    Our motto? If it flies, it dies.
    Means we didn’t much care what we saw, bird or critter. If it was legal or in season, it most likely would end up in the pot.

Much like roadkill. People turn up their noses. What difference does it make, bullet or bumper long as its fresh.

For ten years I got to go finish off injured critters off our local roads because our wildlife officer was too lazy to come out after 5 or before 9. Seldom was any wasted, we had a waiting list for fresh venison especially. They had to come pick it up themselves, and when we called or the next person on the list would get the call.
    Beat paying a couple of road and bridge guys wages and gas to drive around and take em to the dump.

Raccoon reminds many of bear.
    Possum, a little greasy for my tastes but it can be done well.
    Groundhog braised in a little red wine is a delicacy.
    Turtle, what a pain to clean but for soup, amazing.
    Rabbit, a little dry but everyone knows its good eating.
    Squirrels, same thing. A friend turns his nose at these, but only because he ate them 3-4 times a week until he moved out at age 19.
    Wild or feral hogs, better flavor than farm raised and generally free.

With a few traps, snares and a good .22 rifle (and pistol) one can eat extremely well, you iust have to get over the attitude.

How many go into a fine restaurant and order the squab but turn their noses up at pigeons in the park? Same thing, different packaging, ones just got a fancy name and is already cooked.

Growing up where I did and when, there were a lot of families who only made it because of a .22 rifle and a couple fishing poles.
    Poaching? We had a great game warden, if you were hurting he’d turn a blind eye, or even drop off some confiscated meat from some horn hunter he’d caught.
    He is still spoken of in revered tones by a number of families. Cursed by others.

Something to consider, Will Shakespeare was not just a playwright, but was also known to keep meat on the butchers block for some coin of the realm. His target, the kings deer.

FYI, fresh young coon is easy to work with, the older larger ones work better pressure cooked to tenderize them.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

have had some good eating off roadkill, mainly pheasants, at one time the local council picked up all roadkill but because of budget cuts they don’t do it any more, all labour is outsourced so unless their told to do something it dosent get done.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have eaten sea Turtle many times when I have visited the islands and it is very good. Rabbit too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.