Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

(This is copied from my site, but thought you guys might like to see it)

This past weekend I finally got a chance to bust out the Kydex equipment I purchased last fall. There were several projects that I had to work on that had become fairly time sensitive. Two of which were IWB knife sheaths for Gunguy that would be more ergonomic and fit his needs better. Considering that this was really the first true project in Kydex, I had quite a learning curve to overcome. Luckily, Kydex is quite forgiving for if you screw it up you can quickly reheat and erase 99% of the evidence.

This is a great example of erasing the evidence.

If you look closely, you can see the Kydex starting to open back up toward the back of the oven. This plastic is actually quite amazing. It has a memory so heating up a previously formed item will literally leave you with a flat pieces of plastic after it heats back up. Admittedly, I reformed several things just to be able to watch it unfold and return to its previous shape. I have no idea what it does to the actual plastic itself, but I can assure you that the shaping properties of this stuff is very amusing.

Once I got the Kydex hot, I used these homemade presses to squeeze the plastic and form it to the knife. As you can see, this is eventually going to wear out and need to be replaced. I do like the design of the locking mechanism. Again, it was made by someone else, but whoever did build these forms really had a good eye for fabrication. I can see myself just replacing the foam when it breaks down rather than buying or making new.

One of the projects I had to do was for my daughter. When her deployment orders were cut I contacted a very talented knife maker to build her a combat/utility knife to take with her. I also contacted a sheath builder to make her a Kydex sheath that would clip onto her MOLLE gear. The knife is incredible, but the $100 I paid for the sheath was a bust. It not only didn’t hold up, but it broke during a ruck march. When I contacted the sheath maker about it he said that he would repair it, but it would cost me if he had to rebuild it. Once I got the knife back from my daughter and was preparing to send everything back to him to be redone, he suddenly pulled a Keyser Soze and disappeared on me. Needless to say, I will be much more careful about having custom pieces built unless I know the maker’s work. Very unfortunate because I have had a lot of custom work done in the past.

Here is the sheath I build for the daughter’s knife. I still have to do the final sand and polish, but I think it came out fairly decent.

Here are a couple of the knife sheathes I made for Gunguy. I still have to do the final sand and polish for his as well, but wanted him to see them before I did. I didn’t want to do all the finish work on something just to have to redo it because it didn’t come out quite right. Notice how he wanted the grommets on the spine side of the knife? This was so he could comfortably put this inside his waistband and still get to the handle without cutting himself. Most of the loops and straps will get in the way of drawing the knife if they are on the cutting edge side.

Here is the other one.

See how I formed it “backwards” so that he could use the grommets to strap on different loops and fasteners? I also made him an adapter for his stock Izula sheath that moves the IWB loop to the other side of the sheath and thus more out of the way.

All said and done, this was actually a fun day in the garage. I will be building other gear out of Kydex as time goes on. Not sure what will be next, but I can assure you that it will be fun!

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very cool Sled,
    I have a suggestion for you. This might be a good application for vacuum forming. I’ve had good success using vacuum storage bags designed for sweaters and blankets. You’d need a heat shield to protect the bag in this application, but vacuum forming allows uniform pressure on complex design features. Anyway something to think about.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Sled … forget about knife sheaths. Start making full face masks. I could buy one of these things off ebay $185 but it would be totally wrong for my face. Its like if you could make a face mould and work from there? I know this is done. These things could be customized almost like a batman mask and they could be made level 2.
    Yes the black fabric mask works for anonymity but its only fabric nomex ha ha. Somebody goes for your face with a knife or shoots you in the cheek with a .22lr its nasty. I remember an aspiring model in Nyc once. Her spurned landlord hired a guy to cut up her face with a box,cutter. Horrible even after plastic surgery.
    So there you go Sled …. business idea of the day.

Btw I added your site to my homepage. Wow good how to. Really nice.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Kydex isn’t ballistic, but it would stop a knife. Hockey masks might actually have some ballistic qualities, but would have to research that.

I could just imagine trying to convince my wife to stick straws in her nose so I can pour plaster or something all over her face to make a mold…. Might be fun to see what she would say and how close to letting me do it I could get…. My ER bill due to feral, angry wife would definitely surpass the $185 mark.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Sled … Body armor including face protection might help her learn to shoot better. I’ve noticed a lot of women are afraid of power tools. Face and eyes and then hands are their weak points.

Look on the bright side. Shorter stay in the hospital for bad guys. DOA

Maybe the $185 is worth it.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Brulen,

Not sure I follow how your idea of me making Kydex face masks equals my wife not being a decent shot or how I should buy ballistic face protection……

$185 for face protection is something I will not purchase. Got body armor and kevlar helmets already. There is no need for us to become walking armor mannequins when the armor will only protect against expanding pistol rounds.

I will be working on making a Kydex holster for my Cobray PM11, however. Probably some sort of drop holster rig. Also will be building a holster for my 1911 that will attach in a cross draw fashion to my chest rig.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Sled,

Did you ever watch that old Tv series Connections by James Burke. Sometimes they seem implausible but … they happen.
    Why do so many cops get shot in the face these days? It is sop for most cops to wear concealed body armor. I went back on ebay and looked for the mask but it was already gone. In its place there was a better version with a 3a level from Taiwan. So I checked out google and found soldiers wearing the black ballistic mask. They must be Chinese Spetsnaz. Really impressive looking. Let me remind you of all the special forces us soldiers whose fotos addresses and identities are now all over the world wide web. oops. No I don’t think kydex will stop 9mm but it might be starting point for using a kevlar composit lining. On youtube I’ve seen these masks stop both 9mm and .40 SW.

Dm 22 my favorite. I look forward to you making a holster and putting it on your site. Its not really
    called cobra anymore though. Only the original receivers have the c stamp. They’re like collectors items now. For some reason these guns are not well liked, probably because of conversion to auto. Not exactly easy without plans and parts. That never stopped gov bureaucrats from trying to ban them.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Mine is an old Cobray that I have had for about 20 years. The PM11 was not well received because of quality issues during certain runs. I got a good one luckily. Do need to put in a threaded barrel and possibly a side cocker with rail on the upper receiver.

The non SMG Macs are only in need of some filing to be full auto. Very easy. Seen it done and the part is simple to swap out to keep it unmodified unless needed as a bullet hose.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mine is a pistol model with a carbine upper unit. The side cocker is more practical. I’ve played around with various sights on the upper: the HK sights, the rail, the rail and HK sights, front handguard red dot sight. For the carbine the red dot is probably the best although the HK sights are pretty much indestructable and can be used either way. With a side cocker it makes a holster useless. Lots of adaptations. Including sten mags. Its a gun thats very practical. lol

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

/The reason for so many head / facial injuries is simple, people tend to shoot where they are looking, the gun in front of the shooters face catches your eye and you point at that threat.

Same reason for so many hand/forearm injuries.

As to any rock and roll discussion, best left at home, not something we want to draw attention to.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Right Whirli, better we draw attention to real technological mysteries like why the Germanair plane appears to have gone thru a shredder.

8 minutes to doom. Another enigma.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Right Whirli, better we draw attention to real technological mysteries like why the Germanair plane appears to have gone thru a shredder.

8 minutes to doom. Another enigma.

You want to draw attention from the bat-****, go ahead.
    I’d rather not face conspiracy charges and the consequences of such.
    I’ve seen what they do and will avoid it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great job Sled, I like it a lot.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Thank you Freedom…….

I will post more pictures as I do more projects. One thing that I did (although I screwed up the slots quite horribly, but it is functional) make is a bracket for my CB out of some thicker Kydex. It really works well and it mounts my CB underneath my cup holder in my truck so I have some concealment of sorts.

I will probably end up buying some upgraded equipment (presses) as I do more and more projects. We will have to see what happens and how far I take this new hobby.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, The more you do this the better you will get at it. Screwing up is how we all learn. I like the way it looks so please post the new images. If you can PM me when you post so that I do not miss the post that would be great. Also try to keep it as a hobby since we all do much better work for our self.

I am very good with my hands since I was a developer/contractor for over 25 years. Built many homes, and small office buildings. I am a very good stain glass artist but I keep it as a hobby. Many have asked me to do work for them but I turn the work down since I love stain glass work so much that if I turned it into a business then I may lose interest in it. Don’t want that to happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.