Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

This is just fascinating to watch . As a history buff , this gives me an idea of why the Romans were such bada$$es . I’m sure this is not the exact same , but the Koreans took rotating front ranks right out of the Roman play book .

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

My initial impression is that this is training, not the real thing. The riot is completely confined, the rioters initially ONLY go to the ends of the police lines, and this isn’t a street – it appears to have some sorts of sports markings on it, almost.

But assuming it’s not training, if this explains why the Romans were such bad@$$es, I’m not seeing it. If anything, it looks like a whole lot of restraint on law enforcement’s part. When they’re being attacked by some sort of poles or large sticks – things that could cause serious injury or death – the cops simply retreat once the demonstrators do. They meet active force with strong resistance, but not counter-violence. And I saw almost no arrests or detentions in the whole thing. Once the fire bombs started being thrown into their ranks, I’m absolutely amazed that there still wasn’t a violent response. At that point, lethal counter-force could even seem justified in some individual cases.

To me, this almost looked too game-like – thus my impression that it’s just training, and the bad guys are acting as opposing forces. There were obvious rules by which everybody played, with expectations for responses, and everybody pretty much stuck to their roles (script?). Again though, if it was real, it’s very much NOT like riots in other parts of the world (e.g. Muslims in Europe, and particularly certain groups in the U.S.). It’s become much more like guerrilla warfare in the U.S., with no rules – just the best tactics each side can come up with to defend and inflict maximum damage on the other side.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well if it is a training exercise , its still impressive , it might very well be training , their formations look valid . I doubt if many of our burger eaters would be able to run as much as these guys do ? Imagine 5000 troops ( a Roman legion ) with all the noise , screaming , gore of a battle , and maintaining the formation as well as adjusting to the flow of the battle . Obviously they did , and had the discipline . I bet that is what the Koreans are going for , up the ante as the troops get more seasoned .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    It looks highly choreographed to me. I’d expect an organized group like this to be successful against a similarly sized and armed unorganized group. As the ratio increases to favor the antagonists I’m not certain they could hold their lines and flanks.

In wars against organized armies Rome lost many battles. Thy really didn’t become dominant untll Carthage was destroyed leaving Rome with the largest military in the Mediterranean.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I was stationed in Yokosuka Japan for three years. Our “front gate” was the site of demonstrations from time to time. The Japanese Police would use buses to form a “final” skirmish line. The officers themselves were in front of the buses. Each with his/her baton (more like a 6 ft long pole) with which they dealt with the crowd. These folks do not fool around. Once you cross that invisible line stand by for an ass kicking!
    Robin

Profile photo of dillon44
    dillon44
    Survivalist
    member1

Very impressive, the tactics used are very similar to that of the Romans, and they still work very well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.