Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Can never practice enough Freedom – and as you get older your eyesight makes changes, even slight, so you are always having to adapt

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, you are lucky because you can practice right there, here in Miami there are not many places to go shooting.  I go to the Trail Glades Range but that takes 40 minutes to get there if the traffic is OK so it is an all day even.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom I know and can sympathize, was the final determining factor form e getting this place. Tired of the drives, tired of the lines/waiting…most gun clubs around here have 2-3 year waiting lists and you have to be referred by a member.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sporting clays is good for rapid target acquisitions and shooting moving targets. I use to shoot with a bunch of good ole boys from the Eastern Shore. The guys that grew up hunting ducks & geese were usually pretty good shots. 45 – 47 most days. We had 3 good courses to shoot at within 45 minutes.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I got sort of turned off by the snotty guys at the range with the high end Italian shotguns. I showed up with an absolutely pristine 1930’s vintage LC Smith and an equally pristine 1940’s vintage Ithaca 37 and they looked at me like you would look at the bottom of your shoe after stepping in dog shyte… I don’t even remember what I shot, only that I missed once and how those guys looked at me. First and last time I went.

Since then, all my experience with shotguns has been… well, people-shooters. The old LC Smith and the Ithaca still sit in the safe, still pristine, clean and oiled. My go-to defensive shotgun is a Winchester M12 trench gun (with optional bayonet) stoked with #1 buckshot. For critters, we have a little Mossburg in .410, but it doesn’t have the authority of the 12 gauge. Even running #4’s, it takes two shots to dispatch some critters, where #4’s or #5’s out of a 12 gauge will drop them DRT. I only use the Mossburg at night, since the report of the big 12 tends to wake up the neighbors, even though they’re hundreds of yards away… the little 410 just makes a “pop”.

I got a SxS coach gun I usually use for critters. Rabbit eared hammer gun. Keep the left barrel with #5’s, the other with buckshot. Sort of accidentally mixed them up once dispatching a possum… oops.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I throw knifes with my son, this video is very good. We test all the time. I can throw about 15 to 20 feet away on target. After that at 25 to 30 feet I will still hit the person but not always on target, maybe the legs or bottom part of the body. Throwing knifes takes a lot of time to learn but with my son it is a lot of fun.

Same here. The throwing technique in the video is the one that makes most sense but for me it is pretty hard to get enough force and not too much rotation when I try to hit anything further than 5 – 6 meters (20 feet).

This video was my inspiration to go no spin.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I got sort of turned off by the snotty guys at the range with the high end Italian shotguns. I showed up with an absolutely pristine 1930′s vintage LC Smith and an equally pristine 1940′s vintage Ithaca 37 and they looked at me like you would look at the bottom of your shoe after stepping in dog shyte… I don’t even remember what I shot, only that I missed once and how those guys looked at me. First and last time I went.

Is there name for this kind of crowd? That’s ridiculous. “Range queens” being cocky.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Range queens! Haha I like it! Makes sense for those who have the “safe queen” rifles and other firearms.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

.410is a great teacher. My older daughters(1 is 12 the other 14) have been dove hunting with me the past few years using a .410. They have gotten pretty good considering they are single shots. Last season I let them use the 20g. That was a mistake. I didn’t get to shoot a damn thing. NOTHING made it past them for me to shoot at lol. My 12 yr old looks at me and says” aim small miss small right dad” I just shook my head and smiled.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Range Queens” = Equipment Snobs = Yuppies they’re everywhere. Hey nice Perazzi you got there chump.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, My daughter is 19 and she shots much better them me, I tell her it’s my eyes. I can’t see as good as her, LOL!

Jay, the throwing knifes are a good backup if you run out of ammo. At a close range I can hit the target but the target may shot back!

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

Try shooting clays with “00” out of a social gun from the low ready.  It is actually real good practice – got to be quick.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

osagemarine, I am going next week to the range to shot the shotgun with “00”.  Shotgun ammo is all over the place so that is what I will use. My 22lr  I will save, I have from  when ammo was cheap purchased about 8,000 rounds. I do not want to use those till 22lr are in the stores again.

Profile photo of eldarbeast
    eldarbeast
    member1

A very good friend of mine’s father fought in WW II with the 82nd Airborne. He spent some time showing the two of us how to successfully throw a knife ~ any knife, up to 30 feet away – and stick. He used any kind of knife we handed him to throw, and he would sink the blade at least half the blade’s length into the wood. At thirty feet. He would tell us that everybody had to do this in order to belong to the 82nd Airborne during WW II.

His favorite knives to throw was a Mauser bayonet or a Ka-Bar. He told us that these two blades had the best balance for throwing. But, to him, the kind of knife really didn’t matter.

We even chopped up pieces of 1/2″ rebar of various lengths and he would bounce the painted end off of the target.

For fun practice, he prepared a target made of a tree trunk sawn 6″ thick and about two feet across hung so that the tree’s rings were the striking surface. Your blade would almost automatically stick because you were striking the target with the grain.

This kind of target works well with tomahawks, hand axes, and felling axes too. Felling axes, due to their lengths, usually require an underhanded toss.

I miss that old man.

eldar

Bestaie sumus, ut non beastiae simus

O.o ~ I drank what...? Socrates

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.