Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

1. Specifications
    Full Tang High Quality 3/16″ thick solid 440 Stainless Steel
    Overall Length: 17″
    Blade Length: 12″
    440 Stainless Steel, With durable black finish
    Handle Material: Hard Rubber for a fantastic grip and feel
    Sheath: Heavy Weight Black Balastic Nylon

2. Official Product Description
    MTech Knives – Black Kukri Fixed Blade Knife with Black Grooved Rubberized Handles. Model: MT537. 17″ overall. 12″ 440 stainless black coated kukri blade. Black grooved rubberized handle for a non-slip grip. Lanyard hole. Black nylon belt sheath with hanger ring.Features17″ OverallBlack 440 Stainless Steel BladeNon Slip Rubber HandleIncludes Nylon Sheath

3. Why did you get it?
    I have smaller knives with lighter blades and longer knives and machetes that did not fit with what I want for a survival situation. I wanted a knife with a blade size in between them that can still be easily carried, offering a powerful stroke and cutting abilities with thick strong blade for prying. The steel of the blade had to be the right hardness. I don’t want the blade to be extremely hard because they don’t absorb shock well and break under sudden loads, as well as being prone to breaking when used for prying.

Size does matter and this size knife has been used historically for fighting. In WWI the US supplied the Smatchet. http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-knives/case-oss-smatchet/. . Smatchets are collector items now not suited for my meager budget. In normal utility use the chopping cutting abilities with minimal force is an important criteria being very effective saving energy when in prolonged use.

The blade shape of the Kukri is a highly developed form with a weight forward design improving the dynamics of the swing carrying momentum into the stroke after it hits. The wide blade allows a thick back into a thin entry using a long wedge shape cross section. This eliminates the problem that narrow thick blades have when used for slicing, creating resistance moving into the cut. The curved shape draws the material into the blade and maximizes the cutting action. A straight blade pushes the material away from the blade. The point is narrow enough for effective piercing. The steel is good quality material: Grade 440C is capable of attaining, after heat treatment, the highest strength, hardness and wear resistance of all the stainless alloys. Its very high carbon content is responsible for these characteristics, which make 440C particularly suited to such applications as ball bearings and valve parts

The handle is a grippy shaped rubber with groves allowing excellent control and non slip attributes.
    The price is very low for a knife of this quality.

4. What do you like about it?
    See above #10

5. What don’t you like about it? How could it be improved?
    The sheath is kind of cheap and the closure uses Velcro. I don’t like Velcro because it will eventually wear out. I’m going to add a snap to the strap.

6. How did you hear about it?
    I researched the internet to find it. I knew I wanted a Gurka Kukri because of the blade shape and size.

7. Where did you get it?
    Ebay

8. How did it help you in the past? (Personal experience of using it)
    This knife is new so I haven’t used it beyond some tests to give me an indication of the capabilities. I have included a picture of a box used for this purpose. It was necessary to use a very light swing so as not to cut all the way through the box and have the blade pass through. I have used knives for over 50 years (I bought an Estwing matching set knife & hatchet in 1964) and have developed an understanding of my needs. I carry 2 smaller folders for light work.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Love the Kukri shape, lets you cut small trees and heads.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great review. My next knife will be either a kukri or a parang. Im curious how the handle holds up. It looks pretty comfortable. It is pretty hard rubber right? I’d imagine otherwise the handle would wear out quickly when used daily.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay the handle is like a soft tire compound, it should last forever. It is’t going to work as a hammer against hard sharp objects. The back edge is wide enough to use for pounding things so I’m not bothered. I don’t like abusing the handles of my tools anyway, it makes them useless and none of them are designed for abuse. I’ll destroy the business end of a tool, but not what I have to hold in my hand.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks, yes I was just thinking about regular daily use. Some rubber simply doesnt keep well (like some rubber handles on bikes) and they get these little rubber bits on them. I really dont like that. But this sounds great.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good review, and yea, Kukri shape is just “mean”.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

My machete goes everywhere on the farm with me. It is small like this one. Different brand. Very darn useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.