Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have often heard that there is nothing like a Ka-Bar , they are on the pricy side , but after I finally picked one up ….my other knives went on the shelf . This is a battle proven , rugged knife , made famous by US Marines in the Pacific during WW2 .

Specifications:
    7 inch blade , 12 inch overall

Official Product Description:
    USMC fighting utility knife

Why did you get it?
    I had had some extra cash and needed a good all around knife .

What do you like about it?
    The feel , once you have it in your hand , you feel the power and substantial , well , built design . It comes out of the box razor sharp ( seriously , you can accidentally cut yourself ) Its very well made , the stacked leather grip holds fast in your hand , even if wet . The blade is a good shape , and can easily see why it would be a favorite for fighting . The back of the knife can be used as a hammer if need be .

What dont you like about it? How could it be improved?
    The only thing I dont like is the leather sheath , Not a big fan of leather sheaths , it was too bright for me , so I got some black shoe polish and toned it down a lot , then I got fabric glue and pasted some scrap German Flectarn fabric to the side ….then it fit well with all my other gear .

How did you hear about it?
    In the US , ka-Bar is a legend ………..nothing more needs to be said .

Where did you get it?
    Bass Pro Shop

How did it help you in the past? (Personal experience of using it)
    Time will tell , but I am sure it will not let me down .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

This truly is a great knife. I have had one since I was about 11. I remember raking yards for months to save up the 35 dollars I paid for it. That was 26 years ago and you can only imagine the abuse it has seen. It even went through a flood and I did not find it for several weeks. After cleaning it up the only real damage was that the stacked leather washers in the handle seperated a little bit which made the hand guard a little loose. It is my go to knife tucked neatly inside my bob ready if duty calls.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Here is a picture of it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The KaBar never quite felt right to me. Rolls too much in the hand.

The Cattaraugus 225Q Quartermasters knife however, is stronger and has a better feeling grip than the KaBar.

I’ve broken a KaBar (don’t ask) but an old abused 225Q has stood up to all the abuse I can/could throw at it.

The unusual thing about the 225Q, it generally came with a left hand sheath. For carrying opposite a 1911.

225Q Quartermaster knife photo output_zpsuof8sof4.jpg

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Good review, I’sure it will do good service for you.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

USMC Ka-Bar, does make some of the best knifes around.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I like the big guards on this one. Does it have a hollow handle?

I think this knife was known in my youth as “rambo knife” or “survival knife”. I had a really cheap knock off with all sorts of survival gear in the handle. Fell apart after a few weeks and was sharp like a spoon.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Naw , its pretty solid , it would be very hard to get that handle off the knife . I think that if the leather handle needed replacement ( very rare ) , you would have to send it back to the factory , it does have a lifetime guarantee .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, it is a strong knife, even if the handle would ever have a problem the blade on this knife will not. So in a SHTF that is what you want. A handle is the less of any problem in a SHTF, you just tape it up and keep going.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Very true

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.