Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OldAccounts
    OldAccounts
    Survivalist

Out of all of my many knives, the one I use the most is my Mora stainless steel Forest (green) Bushcraft knife. It’s got a 4.3” blade and I’m pretty sure a full tang. It’s definitely sturdy. It comes sharp right out of the box. The Swedes really know how to put on a nice bevel too. After an outing, it doesn’t take much to get it to shaving sharpness again.

I have a few Mora Companion knives and got this one because the blade is a bit thicker. I don’t really hesitate to use a wooden or bamboo baton on it when splitting bamboo, which I do a lot. It only cost US$30 on Amazon, so I’m not overly concerned about abusing it. However, it seems to hold up nicely to everything I do to it. Other than some blade staining when I cut acidic fruits or other plants in the jungle, the knife looks brand new

One thing I’m not overly keen on is the way the sheath swivels. I prefer the Companion’s sheath because it doesn’t swivel and because you don’t have to feed your belt through the loop. The Companion has a nice clip with a big tooth. I guess it could come off somehow, but you’d really have to smack it.

The forest green color is perhaps a bit of a concern as it would be difficult to find if you did drop it. My Companion knives are bright orange and lime green.

I really like the Mora plastic sheaths. Leather just doesn’t hold up here in Thailand. Give me a chunk of plastic anytime.

Mora, in my opinion, makes some of the best value-for-money knives on the market. I’ve got much more expensive knives, but I still carry this one instead.

I understand that Mora has come out with a longer version of this blade with a black carbon blade. That sounds interesting, but I’m not sure why I would need a couple more inches of knife.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Paddle. I also have Mora, while it is not state of the art knife it is very reliable and cheap here (around 15$).

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Moras are great. Really light and even though I didnt like the plastic sheath when I got my first Mora, since then I learned to love it.

Their (new?) Bushcraft series looks pretty good too. I really appreciate the better grip but didn’t see it anywhere for sale over here yet.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

I have a Mora Compagnon in my car kit. I’m not quite fond on scandi grind blades but it gives a lot of quality for the price.
    Dave Canterbury has a video on some improvements for the Mora knives:

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Have the Morakniv Companion & the Classic — always handy in the go-bag, camping etc. Great value.

OldAccounts
    Survivalist

When I go out in the jungle I’ve got my Mora, a folding saw (much more useful for bamboo work than a knife) and usually one of my Thai jungle knives. I’ve got a video on YouTube about Thai jungle knives at

I’ve become extremely fond of small meed ito (ito knife) and they’re wonderful for chopping and splitting. The one in the photo came with a wooden handle that got loose fairly quickly, so I removed it and had a steel pipe welded on. The knife cost less than US$3… getting the handle welded on cost about $2. So, for $5 I’ve got a very useful tool that is a knife and a hatchet.

The sheath is just a piece of PVC pipe that I heated and smashed flat… then painted black.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Mora now produce some of their knives in ‘hi vis’ orange as well :)

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

I tie a fluo yellow rope on my glock throwing knives. Very easy to find that way and easy to remove if you don’t want to be seen.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I was at a local outdoor store yesterday and saw the “Light my Fire Knife” from the fire steel brand with the same name. First I thought they copied Mora but it seems it is actually a cooperation.

OldAccounts
    Survivalist

The only downside to having a built-in fire striker on a knife is when it wears out. I guess you can force the rod out and replace it… not sure. If you can, then it’s a good idea. If you can’t, I’d sooner carry them separate.

OldAccounts
    Survivalist

Good idea having the ability to either be highly visible or not! This thinking could easily be applied to a lot of gear.

Where is the ‘thumbs up’ emoticon on here? :-)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

No thumbs up yet. Busy getting so much other stuff on this site going! :D

There are replacements for the fire steel.

I didn’t know it was a real Mora and thought it was just something they modeled after it. If I get back there I’ll probably get one of those.

In terms of colors, I would love to have a knife that has muted colors but just the part of the handle where I grip it has bright colors. That would be best of two worlds. Easy to spot the knife when I have it lying around but not so eye catching when I hold it.

OldAccounts
    Survivalist

Ah, I should have figured that Mora would make a replacement steel. This seems like a good knife to have in this case.

I can’t find on Amazon if this is a modified Companion knife or a Bushcraft knife. The sheath is a companion sheath. I would likely get one of it was the thicker Bushcraft blade.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.