Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Specifications:

Mod. F1
    Total length: 210 mm (8.3″)
    Blade length: 97 mm (3.8″)
    Blade thickness: 4.5 mm (0.18″), tapered
    Tang: Broad, protruding
    Weight (knife): 150 g (6oz)
    Steel: Lam. VG10
    Blade hardness: 59 HRC
    Handle: Thermorun
    Sheath: All-covering leather / Kydex

Official Product Description:

With this knife a new world standard is being set! Important factors such as technical design, ergonomy and economy are brought together within the model F1, and represent the foremost concept available today. The knife meets and surpasses by far established international standards for strength, personal security and value for money.

Mod. F1 is the official survival knife for pilots within the Swedish Air Force since 1995.

Mod. F1 represents an entirely new philosophy with respect to knives for survival use. At the same time it combines the experience of generations of knife manufacturing with modern technology. The handy size, the well thought-out design, the incredibly tough laminated steel are only a few of many details making this knife something you can rely on.

Mod. F1 is a handy knife and is tremendously versatile. The safe, pleasant grip together with a very hard yet tough laminated steel, makes the knife very useful for all kind of daily work but also demanding tasks. You can choose from two kinds of sheaths – an all-covering pouch type, which safely houses the entire knife or an extremely tough double-safety, one hand operated zytel sheath.

Why did you get it?

I was previously using the Fallkniven A1, big brother to the F1, but found it to be too large and cumbersome for a lot of the tasks I’m actually using a knife for. Given the excellent reviews and increasing popularity of this knife within the European Bushcraft and Survival market I thought I would get one and try it out…

What do you like about it?

It is a simple design and basically bombproof. It’s size and weight is such that I can wear it all day and pretty much forget it’s there until I need it. Folks need to understand, here in Northern Scandinavia we are pretty much constantly carrying a knife/axe combo. With SO much wood processing to be done it makes sense that you would not rely on a knife to do so much heavy work, to the extent if you told me I had to choose between carrying an axe or a knife (here) I would choose the axe, every time. Back to the knife, the handle scales provide a positive grip in all conditions, and despite it’s relatively small size, the thickness of the blade is still enough that you can do heavy duty work if you need to. The fact this was purposely designed as a military survival knife also means a great deal, there are no tricks or gimmicks with this blade, just pure quality and functionality.

What don’t you like about it?

I have an older model of this knife which came with an open top, friction, leather sheath. Being able to access and re-sheath your knife while wearing multiple layers of gloves here in the Arctic is a critical consideration. The newer models now have either a fully enclosed leather sheath or a friction kydex sheath. Fiddling with press studs and fastenings is not a desirable trait of a sheath for me, and the brittleness of synthetic materials at extremely low temperatures is a concern, so while I personally have no concerns on my set up, anyone looking to buy a knife now should take this into consideration.

How could it be improved?

In my mind there is no improving this knife, but adding a third sheath option (Open leather) would be good too see.

How did you hear about it?

As well as online reviews I actually don’t live far from the factory where the family that makes Fallkniven knives are. So Fallkniven are well known, established and trusted in these parts.

Where did you get it?

You can buy online, or through various distributors http://www.fallkniven.com/en/wheretobuy. I actually got mine direct from the factory :)

How did it help you in the past?

The most ‘help’ this knife provides is the fact it is a blade I can completely trust and rely on. Working professionally in the outdoors, this ‘psychological edge’ is essential. Having equipment you can rely on in all conditions is vital. This knife has proven to be of practical use on so many occasions it is impossible to begin to list them. While this knife comes at a price, certain equipment is really worth investing in, just as a carpenter would buy high quality tools, I take the same approach to some (not all) of my outdoor equipment.

A picture of my carry set up with this knife is attached, and more details on why I carry it in this configuration can be found in my ‘knife belt’ post:

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/knife-belt/

I should mention I have recommended this knife to many students of mine, and those that have purchased it have no complaints or criticisms at all :)

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Knife Picture

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby C, Very nice Knife!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good review Toby, and good knife too.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great knife and setup. Do you have a picture of the blade as well?

Being able to access and re-sheath your knife while wearing multiple layers of gloves here in the Arctic is a critical consideration.

Those are the little things that make or break a good knife / sheath in the cold.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for sharing. I love this knife and along with my ESEE choices good-to-go.

http://www.eseeknives.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.