Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Don’t we all love our knives? A good survival knife is a true workhorse. With a good knife in hand, you can baton wood, process meat, help to build shelters, modify your gear or use the butt end, or pommel, as a hammer.

In this little contest today, we ask you to post a review of your favorite knife. Most of us have several knives, but what knife would you take if bug out and you have to pick only one?

Selco already posted his review of the AK47 bayonet that helped him during his time in war, and I posted my review of my current favorite knife the Cold Steel Bushman.

ESEE Izula II Survival Kit

Everyone who submits a knife review in our Gear Talk section enters into a random draw to win one of our favorite EDC knives, the ESEE Knives Izula II Black Knife with Survival Kit.

Check this PDF with details how to use the knife and sheath. The knife has great reviews and if you are not convinced yet that this is a great little piece of steel, you can watch a hands on review on Youtube.

We will also have a voting on the most detailed and best knife review. The winner of this voting will get a Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Set from Spyderco.

The random draw winner will be announced in two weeks on the 1st of May. After that we will do the voting for the best review.

How to post your review

Get started and sign up for a forum account if you haven’t done already. (If you are a member of Selco’s course you have to register again for the public forum.)

After that simply head over to the Gear Talk section of the forum, scroll down and start writing your review.

Here are some thoughts and ideas what you could include in your gear review.

1. Specifications
    2. Official Product Description
    3. Why did you get it?
    4. What do you like about it?
    5. What dont you like about it? How could it be improved?
    6. How did you hear about it?
    7. Where did you get it?
    8. How did it help you in the past? (Personal experience of using it)

Adding your own photos or maybe even a video you recorded is a big plus and we enter you twice into the random draw if you do that.

Looking forward to see your favorite knives! If you do not have a proper survival knife, read some of the recommendations in 1974s thread about “Selecting the Right Knife” or watch this forum for the reviews.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My favorite is something my Dad made and carried as a Ranger in WWII. He took a 12 inch heavy duty file and ground it down to what he wanted and put on a wood handle. Growing up my Brother and I used that knife to edge the grass around the sidewalk. Since then I have carried that knife in my hunting bob. It is not an EDC type of weapon but rides around with me in the trunk of my car.

Robin

Profile photo of pdh8447
    pdh8447
    Survivalist
    member1

I only carry one knife and I carry it in my camera bag (my all the time bag anyway). It’s a Leatherman. I really do like that it has so many tools on it but hate that it’s so heavy and bulky. Some day I would love to get a fixed blade knife but being a lady I don’t want to carry it on my belt or anything. On the other hand I like to be prepared and I live in Alaska AND I’m a tour guide up here so I like to sort of play up the wilderness thing on my tours. I have an edge in a way because I live in a small (14’x20′) cabin. So, I do carry my Leatherman all the time, I use it almost daily either on my big 45′ motorcoach in the summer as I’m giving tours or in the winter when I deliver Meals-on-Wheels and have to cut open milk boxes.

Profile photo of Bmellott
    Bmellott
    Survivalist
    member1

My favorite survival knife is my becker bk7. This knife is super strong and useable for batoning, skinning, daily camp chores etc…. It is a full tang knife providing excellent strength. This knife holds an excellent being of 1095 steel although it isn’t stainless or rust proof. However, the coating that comes on this blade is extremely durable. It is one of the thickest blades I’ve ever seen. The knife is very well balanced and is one of the most reasonably priced good of the “good” knives. I’m really happy with knife and in fact like all of the becker series knives. I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

Profile photo of Soundmantom
    Soundmantom
    Survivalist
    member1

Knives come in all shapes and sizes but are not all equal. The king of survival knives is not a knife at all but a multitool. With the ability to tackle multiple uses and situations, it is the ultimate survival tool for any situation, including the often overlooked urban jungle.
    I present to you the king of multi tools: The Gerber Flik Multi-plier!

http://www.gerbergear.com/Industrial/Tools/Flik-Multi-Plier_22-41054

This multitool with 3 blades, pliers, screw driver heads, scissors, and a can opener, is king of any task it is put too. Being an audio/ video engineer and an avid outdoorsman, I have many a task to perform to keep either the show going, or me living. I have burned through many multitools either from breaking the pliers loosening a hex bolt at work or from breaking a blade on something in the wild. After hearing from my father-in-law on his gerber, my wife decided to give me what would turn out to be the one tool I use almost daily in my professional and recreational life.
    While the compliment of tools is standard for most multitools, there are two amazing aspects that set it far above the rest.
    1. The flik, uses a sliding mechanism that allows the user to “flick” out the plier nose and operate it completely one handed. This I have found to be extremely handy. Holding an object in place with one hand and havering the ability to deploy the tool with the other becomes quite useful. Now being an engineer my original thought on it was “oh no a moving part!” As most techies know, moving parts are almost always more fragile than something rigid. This however was not a concern due to useful aspect number 2…
    2. This thing is unbreakable. The first thing I thought would break on this was the sliding mechanism for the pliers but almost two years later for me and even more than that for my father inlaw, it has held true. The stainless steel construction must me made of a surprisingly hard steel. The scissors have remained tight, sharp, and able to cut through surprisingly thick cables. The screw driver bits have stayed solid through many high torque twists and turns. But what am I saying, this is a knife review, GET TO THE BLADE ALREADY!
    The blade is fantastic. Made out of the same hard steel, it has held true time and time again. If there is a downside it is that such a hard steel takes much longer to sharpen and hone than others. A pain to do but well worth it. The only other complaint is the weight. It is a hearty 8 ounces. Not bad for a multitool but ultralight hikers will wince at the weight. I think the utility of it is more than worth the weight. The weight has come in handy when throwing lines for bear bags!

This knife is my everyday carry in daily life and survival. I would stake my life on it and I hope others can too. You can pick it up on amazon for about 65$. I would easily buy it again and again if I ever lost it.

Bumbury
    Bumbury
    Survivalist
    member1

My go to survival knife that i use regularly and have been using since i got it as a kid in 1970 from my dad who just rotated home from Vietnam is a standard USMC KaBar model 1217…
    1-standard KaBar model 1217 is a fixed blade with a Blade length 7″ and an Overall length of 11-7/8″
    2-Full-size USMC KA-BAR, Straight Edge
    model: 1217, 5017 with a retail cost of $107.77 – $117.59
    The most famous fixed blade knife in the World – “the KA-BAR” – was designed to serve our troops during World War II and is still doing its job, with honors, 70 years later and Made in the USA.
    3-I got this knife as a kid when i started the in the scouts when my dad rotated home from vietnam.. we were stationed to sukeran Okinawa then and we started to do the useal scout activites so he gave it to me as a hiking all purpose knife which iv treasured and used since than to this day..
    4-The KaBar is a hardy full tang knife that is solidly built has a little weight to it so you can use it as a small hatchet to chop down small trees and break up/split wood for firewood.. It keeps a sharpness good enough to use to field dress a deer and strong enough to chop thru bone and the steel is sturdy enough to be re-sharpened in the field with a few stroke of a wet stone..
    5- I have to say their isnt anything i dont like about this knife and as far as improving it i do believe the new handle series of kydex is a nice change from the leather but dosent improve it just gives you other choices for an exceptional knife.
    Iv used this knife consistantly year after year since i got for camping, fishing, hiking and hunting along with all the activities associated with those events.. at 52 years of age now my KaBar has been used by my dad, me, my kids and now my grand son who likes to hit wood sticks with it to put in the fire… this knife if it is the only one i can carry will be the one that goes with me peoriod…
    In summery i have to say that yes im might be a little partical to the KaBar but i know from my many years of hard use and experience with it along with a great reputation and a long line of military use you cant go wrong trusting your life with this knife..

Profile photo of Dinky_Dau
    Dinky_Dau
    Survivalist
    member1

My “constant companion” in my BOB is the Cold Steel Trailmaster.<p> Blade Length: 9 1/2″
    Overall Length: 14 1/2″<p>
    Steel: O-1 High Carbon <p>
    Weight: 16.7 oz<p>
    Blade Thickness: 5/16″<p>
    Handle: 5″ Long Kray-Ex™<p>
    This thing is a beast. It has adequate weight to make chopping relatively easy. It’s been used for chopping branches for shelter and fire, digging for fishing baid, cutting everything from string to wire. The steel retains its edge well, and when needed, sharpens to a razor edge quickly. I’ve owned many Cold Steel blades and have never been let down by their products.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Nice

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

I’ve tried to post the same review twice now but it seems to be disapearing ;o(

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Profile photo of Samoyed Destruction
    Samoyed Destruction
    Survivalist
    member1

I carry a Leatherman all the time. The animals around my place are always finding ways to get to the other side of the fence.

I also have a Cold Steel Kukri San Mai III which I’m pretty disappointed with.  Had a tree fall across my driveway and used it to chop it up, because it was in my truck at the time.  The blade dented.  I’m not sure what I hit that caused that to happen.

nighthawk
    nighthawk
    Survivalist
    member1

I too favor the time ,and combat, proven Ka-bar. This is a knife that was born in battle and has been in every American war since it’s birth in WWII. During my 20 year military experience, a Ka-Bar was always in my alice pack. Carried it for two tours in Viet Nam, and on numerous hiking, canoeing, hunting trips without it ever letting me down. My brother (the lucky fool) was canoeing the Colorado , alone, when his canoe capsized in a rapid. Losing all his gear except what was on his person. His Ka-Bar helped him start a fire, dry out, and hike out. (2 days) Always said that knife saved his life.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If you carry a gun for self defense the question of what is a survival knife as opposed to a tool seems obvious. A knife you can use to kill someone is a survival knife. Hands down I would take a Fairbairn Sykes knife any day of the week. It has a thin long blade meant for stabbing. The handle is small and feels good in the hand. The history of these knives is well documented. They were used for special operations and undercover work in ww2 and later. There are many still available. The quality can vary enormously though fro ones make in Pakistan to excellent made in Japan. Price will be proportional to the quality of the steel.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.