Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Specifications:

Blade Length: 7″
    Overall Length: 12 1/4″
    Steel: SK-5 High Carbon
    Weight: 9.8 oz
    Blade Thickness: 2.5 mm
    Blade Detail: Plain Edge
    Handle:Hollow
    Sheath: Cor-Ex™ Survival Sheath

Official Product Description:

For the money, the Bushman knives might be the strongest survival/outdoor knives in the world! Unlike most hollow handled survival knives, there is no joint or seam between the blades and handles that requires a mechanical fastener. Instead, the Bushman’s blades and integral handles are each expertly cold forged out of a single piece of 2.5mm thick SK-5 high carbon steel. The resulting knives are expertly heat-treated and tempered to RC54 and, when subjected to our tests, have withstood over two tons of pressure on their blade/handle transition!

Why did you get this knife?

The Cold Steel Bushman is my “around the homestead” knife. I wanted a strong and sturdy tool for all sorts of work from cutting some fruits to splitting wood for small fires (to get the grill going for example). I like knives that can take a beating and Im not overly worried about using and abusing.

I also learn stick fighting right now and the Bushman has a hollow sheath that is easily fastened onto a bamboo stick. This also really helpful to cut down some fruits higher up in trees.

This is an interesting tidbit I came across when researching the knife:

Coldsteel generally hardens their blades to 59RC so that they’ll hold and edge better than the 56RC-58RC in your average kitchen knife. This is one exception. In order to make the blade tough (able to withstand abuse) they’ve only gone for a low hardness (down in the 54-55RC range according to some posts on the net) which doesn’t hold an edge well, but keeps the blade from breaking when used for throwing or as a spear head. It also makes the blade easy to put and edge back on.

What do you like about it?

It feels really solid, is very sharp and easy to re-sharpen. The knife feels well balanced so it is also a pretty decent throwing knife. Even hitting a wall when throwing it doesn’t break it. The sheath has a small extra pocket to hold stuff (I usually have a lighter or small fire starter in it).

What dont you like about it?

The nylon sheath is a bit too big. A leather sheath would have been nicer. Other than that, I love this knife!

Where did you buy it?

I got this via amazon.com shipped to a friend in the US who took it along for me when he visited Asia. (Amazon does not ship knifes overseas unfortunately). Also available on the Cold Steel website.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I love all my Cold Steel knifes. I think that the hollow handle is a very good idea.

Profile photo of spoke
    spoke
    Survivalist
    member1

They take a great edge, easy to re-sharpen, and what you put in that hollow handle is only limited by your imagination. Oh yeah, and the price is excellent.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats one thing about Cold Steel , they make quality knives , some are as simple as it gets , but damn near indestructible , if its one of their Carbon blades .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.