Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Knife Review: Benchmade Nimravus 140S

• Specifications
    Benchmade Nimravus 140 (Old model)

• Official Product Description

http://www.benchmade.com/products/140

154CM stainless steel blade (58-61hrc)
    Drop-point blade style
    Full-tang anodized, machined 6061 T-6 aluminum handle (Earlier models had linen Micarta handle scales)
    Blade Length: 4.50″
    Blade Thickness: 0.115″
    Handle Thickness: 0.580″
    Blade Material: 154CM Stainless
    Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
    Weight: 5.86oz.
    Overall Length: 9.45″

• Why did you get it?

I needed a belt knife that was more appropriate than my custom knives for “duty” use and abuse.

• What do you like about it?

The blade shape is excellent, more than enough straight edge for general use but the serrations for rope/belts are just large enough for real world use.
    The thinner blade will get into the joints of an animal nicely, but it’s strong enough for some serious torque when deboning in the field.

• What dont you like about it? How could it be improved?

The older models (like mine) have a very shallow finger groove for the index finger, and in a serious situation, the hand could potentially come forward on the sharp edge.
    This has been addressed and fixed on the current models.
    For a small grip compared to many others, it’s very comfortable in use and is unobtrusive when you’re wearing it.

• How did you hear about it?

I went into a sporting goods store that specialized in knives and was trying everything under the counter that fit my needs for size, weight and price. I happened across it by accident, it was a bit more expensive than I had intended to spend, but I have come to accept this as one of the best purchases I have ever made.

• Where did you get it?

The shop is now out of business, the owner passed away.

• How did it help you in the past? (Personal experience of using it)

The Nimravus 140 was a constant companion on (under) my duty belt for 10 years.
    Light and thin, it fit on the under belt hiding behind other items on the duty belt until needed.

It was used to cut ropes, seat belts after accidents, to carve away chunks of a drivers seat so paramedics could access the injured driver in one accident.
    It has also carved up more deer and elk than I’d care to remember.
    I started carrying it one year after I got some rust on a custom blade after a fellow hunter used it and didn’t wipe it off. It had been in my truck with a bunch of my other gear that I hadn’t taken inside when I got off shift.

The 140 was originally my loaner for fellow hunters but as I was beginning to carve up my second elk of the afternoon, I needed a sharper blade than I had without touching up anything, and pulled the 140 out.

The 140 carved up the entire elk, minus the rib meat, I use a 4.5” filet knife for that, and was still just as sharp as when I began. This made me stop and pay attention. As we packaged the elk quarters, I got a radio call from another hunter, he had two more elk down. Off I went, leaving my pack and most of my gear including the dull knives for others in our party to bring down off the mountain.

Two elk later, the blade was still arm shaving sharp.
    I did hit the edge with a small ‘steel’ between elk, but that was out of habit not need.
    When I made it back to camp, long after dark and as resharpening the other knives, I had to barely touch the 140’s edge and it was still plenty sharp.

I retired several custom knives that day, not because they couldn’t keep up, but because they were too nice to abuse the way I normally do knives in the field. The 140 has become a constant companion after leaving LE work, it rides either on my belt or in my ‘war bag’ and gets used regularly.

Some 15 years after getting the 140, it isn’t as pretty as when it was new. But it’s not going anywhere either. I don’t even loan it out in hunting camp anymore, I have a couple of Mora’s for that.

The middle knife in the picture is the 140, it’s flanked by a Spyderco Catcherman on top and a 4.5” Rapala Filet knife below. My most used hunting camp knives.

photo 100_2672.jpg

hmm, lucky the 4th try.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I do like the serrations on the blade. They do make it easier to cut rope and many other things.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

That’s a beautiful knife. It’s great to hear about the knife being used so much in so many different situations. My main knife until I got the Bushman was a Mora and it didn’t see much action besides some bushcrafting and cutting open things.

Serrated blades are also quite handy for self defense purposes because they get stuck in clothes and can rip them apart so the sharp part of the blade can penetrate the skin.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have a buddy that was in the Air Force , they issued Benchmade’s apparently , he swears by them .

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the review Whirlibird, it really looks like a knife that could be used for many years.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I have a buddy that was in the Air Force , they issued Benchmade’s apparently , he swears by them .

Wow, considering they are on the pricey side of blades thats pretty awesome. I guess its because its quality that lasts.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I have three Benchmade knives, two folders and the Nimravus.
    Had the oldest for nearly 20 years now.
    Pricey or not, worth every penny.

Others have come and gone, mostly through loss or gifts, the Benchmades remain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.