Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The laws concerning what type of knife is legal to carry in each state differ greatly. In some states like Pennsylvania, each local municipality has established it’s own laws for knives. The common clip knife carried in the pocket has gotten thousands of individuals arrested. Police look for the spring clip exposed on the outside of the garment. If you do not know what the specific law is in your local area, or if you are traveling, do not reveal the fact that you have a knife in this manner. I attached the following article as an example.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/02/ny-reform-of-gravity-knife-law.html

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pennsylvania Knife Laws

Pennsylvania knife statutes are short and lacking in clear definitions. In order to determine what the law is, one must look at Court decisions, or case law. This article takes the statutes and the case law and puts it in a clear and organized manner that anyone can understand.

What is Legal to Own
    It is legal to own Bowie knife
    It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly knife
    It is legal to own a penknife
    it is legal to own a concealed knife, such as in a lipstick or belt buckle
    It is legal to own any kind of hunting knife

It is illegal to own a dagger
    it is illegal to own a sword cane
    it is illegal to own any implement for the infliction of bodily injury, which serves no “common lawful purpose”

It is illegal to open or conceal carry a dagger
    it is illegal to open or conceal carry any automatic knife
    It is illegal to open or conceal carry a sword cane

it is legal to open or conceal carry any hunting knife
    it is legal to open or conceal carry any knife that does not open automatically and has a lawful purpose

http://www.knifeup.com/pennsylvania-knife-laws/

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

74 thanks. Thats perfectly clear …. don’t ask to see it, don’t tell on someone if you see one.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for bringing up the topic. It caused me to look up the knife laws in VT, which like with guns, are almost non-existent:

Know Your Knife Laws #14: Vermont
    Posted on October 16, 2013 by Chris Dumm

Image: Wikipedia

Some state knife laws are tortured labyrinths of contradictory statutes, nonsensical definitions and unfettered police discretion in deciding whether your knife will earn you a trip to court (or jail) or a ‘have a nice day.’

Vermont is not one of those states. Long live Freedom And Unity!

The rules for knives in Vermont are delightfully simple: don’t have an automatic knife with a blade longer than three inches, don’t bring a knife onto school or government property, and don’t carry a knife (or any other dangerous or deadly weapon) with an intent to harm another person.

There are no other restrictions on knives in Vermont. Daggers, small autos, fixed blades, Bowies, balisongs, sword canes, bizarre martial-arts weapons, and even pointed sticks can be carried openly or concealed. Unlike many states, Vermont law focuses on a person’s intentions, rather than the characteristics of the knife itself.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you could only have warmer winters it would be a paradise.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The laws chance if you have a CCW so need to look at that. In Florida if you do not have CCW the limit is 4″ long but in the CCW law it does not tell you that it can’t be longer so I will ask that question.

I think in every state this is the same story, if you have CCW the law may change.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, Not in PA. Some may and others not.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes you are right, in Florida it is 4″ max. But it doesn’t have a limit in the CCW.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In PA a CCW is good for handguns only. Loaded rifles & shotguns are not permitted in a vehicle at anytime. The way the law is written only handguns are considered firearms.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The Spyderco catcherman fillet will probably get you arrested. A 4.5 inch thin folding blade and very handy for fish or cutting up food.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>If you could only have warmer winters it would be a paradise.

74, it’s not like PA doesn’t have winter too. Winter is longer colder & snowier in VT than in PA but it is a dry cold because we are far enough from the coast so as to not have that raw damp kind of cold that chills you to the bone. I know when I have visited relatives in NJ in the winter that the damp cold is nasty and I’m always glad for the dry cold at home even if the temps are considerably lower. So, come on up I say. More like minded people up here is always a good thing. We’ll stay inside today next to the wood stove though. 10AM and its still 1 below and the wind is howling & blowing yesterday’s snow around.

….and you can bring your knives with you when you come if you’d like. Its legal here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hmmm yes well it’s zero right now and dry. I spent some time in -35f living in Maine, the cold is easier to take when you’re 25 though. Right now I was thinking more of a southern location to visit like Florida. I like the northern climate in May through October.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is the CCW Florida law,

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I like the way that is written Freedom.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The problem here in Pennsylvania is that municipalities pass laws more stringent than the state law and enforce them with local cops. They can’t get away with it anymore with firearms due to a new law allowing citizens to bring lawsuits where preemption is involved. Cities are removing iillegal laws due to legal costs of keeping the law, as they bare all the costs.
    Knives are not included.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.