Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Spending as much time outdoors as I do I prefer to carry a fixed blade knife with me most of the time (I have folding for Urban carry) I much prefer to carry my knife on a belt of it’s own, as opposed to placing it on my trouser (Pants if you’re in US) belt, I thought I’d share with you all why :)

Firstly, 6 months of the year is winter here, so I am typically wearing many layers of clothing, I always want my knife to be over the outer most layer for ease of access, so having it on a separate belt makes most sense.

Given the nature of operating in extreme cold, you are pretty much constantly looking for extra pocket/storage space for items, especially things you are removing/replacing frequently, (e.g. Hats, outer gloves, scarves etc) By having my knife belt fixed around my outer most layer it creates a big ‘bellows pocket/dump pouch’ type set up if I unzip my jacket a little way, with all these items being able to be stored inside the jacket as opposed to placed on the floor (which is exceptionally undesirable!) As a side note this ‘belt over jacket’ was and maybe is also extensively used in parts of the British military for stowing empty mags at times when rapid magazine changes are necessary, but I digress!

In addition to my knife I also carry 2 extra items, but have the capacity to add more if deemed necessary. You can see the setup in Pic 1.

You can see I have my knife in a friction retention seat (preferred in the cold) I also have a small diamond dust honing stone (I know only use diamond stones on my knives) this is so I can keep ‘touching up’ the knife during use, meaning it is constantly sharp. As we all should be aware a dull knife is a dangerous knife! Like my idea detailed in my Tiny Trauma Kit post, if I am carrying the means to cut myself, I carry the means to treat a (serious) cut, so I have taped a first field dressing to the belt, and put a slight ‘nick’ in the tape (Pic 3) meaning it is easy to ‘tear away’ if needed (again used to be a common military practice)

As I am constantly looking to maximise the effectiveness and versatility of everything I carry. I always use a leather belt, this can then double up as a tourniquet, can be used as a ‘strop’ for even greater edge sharpening, and you see in pic. 2, I delineated both a centimetre and inch scale along the length of the belt, so it can also be used for measuring. With all the items removed it makes for quite a field expedient slingshot as well! :)

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Apologies, the pictures were too large in file size, here they are individually:
    Picture 1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Picture 2

Attachments:
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Picture 3

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.