Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Oh btw, Buck has discontinued the knife. It is listed at such on their website.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&ProductID=3947

Now the question becomes … is three enough ?

Uh Oh, I feel my OCD kicking in …

Haha, I believe the price for the special edition will rise in the coming years. Is there a big second market for special knives that are not in production anymore?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

I’m not sure, I really only know about custom knives. I paid about $370 for the Limited Edition to my door and it’s beautiful. Considering the engineering Ron put in over the years I would rate it at least equal to a quality custom knife.

I would say that a good custom knife would have a better handle. The handle on the LE is perfectly fine but it is not the beautiful sexy finished quality of a good custom. The blade finish however is really great and exceeds what I’ve seen in custom knives. The question is the temper. The factory temper is prolly not the equal of a forged blade from a master bladesmith. However, such a blade would (at least) be 5x this price.

TBH, I really got it on a whim as I would have gotten another normal edition with the bonus anyways. The LE is certainly more beautiful and worth more but I really value utility and the normal edition is more suited to my taste. Not sorry I got the LE but it’s a closet queen.

Big Bears Don't Tree

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

IMHO: This test would be the difference between a custom knife from a master bladesmith and a factory knife:

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

That is the test master bladesmiths have to pass before they get their certification. Before that test though, they have to chop through a 2×4 and still be able to shave with the knife afterwards.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

That is the test master bladesmiths have to pass before they get their certification. Before that test though, they have to chop through a 2×4 and still be able to shave with the knife afterwards.

Is this sort of test standardized? Same test for everyone?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

Yes, It’s an American Bladesmiths Society (ABS) standard test.  They have Jouneyman and Master tests.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of rockfarm
    rockfarm
    Survivalist
    member1

It was Ron Hood’s Woodsmaster vol.9 that got me started making blades, he was an awesome person!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Rockfarm very nice knife.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

That looks to be an excellent blade and a valuable keepsake.

I’m improving on the kit. I have two now, one black and one camo. The sheaths have progressed to kydex from Cleveland Kydex. I have very small Maxpediton pouches that are a little larger than the ones on the Hoodlum sheath. The big main fire steels and magnesion tinder remain in the kits along with fine & coarse diamond stones and Leatherman waves. I’m also looking to add a decent small compass and magnifying glass it I can fit them.

Both have Bark River knives with Bushcrafter sheaths which give me s second, spare fire steel in the kit. They’re all held together with para cord. Each kit weighs just under 6 lbs so I’m adding a condor drop-leg rig to stabilize each kit on my leg. These should come in a few days. I’ve tried some positioning and got some new holsters. for my Sigs. When everything is set-up and positioned I plan to have the Sig’s high enough on my waist and forward whith the knives slung lower so neither kit interferes with the other.

The two Bark River Knives are the Canadian Special and the Bushcrafter. Each has approx a 3.75 ” – 4.0 ” blade and use the same sheath. The main difference is that the Canadian has finger grooves and flatter upper and lower surfaces on it’s handle (more of a square cross section) along with a stag handle. This tends to give it a surer grip that the more rounded profile (rounded cross section) desert ironwood on the Bushcrafter. The Canadian would be for shorter messy chores like skinning and processing game while the Buscrafter would be used for longer tougher chores like processing wood.. I’ve moved Fuad’s knive to the Limited Edition kit which has available to it one of the original Hoodlum sheaths from the using kits and that remains set up in the original configuration pictured above.

I’ve also added two 2″ screw-top tins to the kit in the maxpedition pouches, one for storing tinder starters (Vaseline balls) and the other for making char-cloth. This latter will start out with cotton patches to be turned into char cloth at the next fire.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

rockfarm very nice knife.

Profile photo of rockfarm
    rockfarm
    Survivalist
    member1

Thank you, there is no telling how many people that Ron inspired to try new skills!

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3
    Profile photo of ookoziolno Holland
    ookoziolno Holland
    Survivalist

[b][url=http://www.snkbs.com/da/christian-louboutin-flats-c-16.html]rent sølv Hoops-Sterling Sølv & 14 k guld[/url][/b]
    [b][url=http://www.snkbs.com/da/christian-louboutin-flats-c-16.html]flot og rabat Hoops-Sterling Sølv & 14 k guld[/url][/b]
    [b][url=http://www.snkbs.com/da/christian-louboutin-brude-c-15.html]Sterling Silver Earring butik[/u

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.