Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

One thing about going out is you house need to have family members to protect your store. The others may want you to go out so one stays behind and goes in you store to see what you have.

The ony why to go out is if you have someone protecting you store.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Freedom, I honestly think that if you were alone, or just had numbers of 3-4, you’d be screwed anyway. Sure, more people means more mouths to feed, but they also mean more hands to work. That is why I think it’s really important to get a group, or at least some people who you know would be reliable in a grid down world.

I’ll make a thread on my ideas when it comes to groups/communities in a grid down shortly. But yes, you are right in saying that you can’t leave your stores undefended.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red, I live in a city my block has 10 homes on one side and 10 homes in front, they are all big homes. The City of Coral Gables is a high value area. So I think that the poor areas will hit us, but this area is armed, everyone I talk to has guns so it will be interesting.

I do think many will get together in a grid down. Next door to me is a lawyer which has talked to me about it and has asked if I will have his back and said that he will have my back. In front I have a doctor that also asked me, he told me he had a one month of food and needed more and that he was armed with rifles so that is the good news.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well , that could be interesting . If SHTF is a long one , with no authorities to speak of , then it might be like Stalingrad in the cities , actually thats not a bad model to read about , many multistory buildings were not controlled by either side , soviets on the ground floor , with germans on the 2nd , with more soviets on the 3rd ….Civillians living in basements or dug out shelters , messed up to say the least . If those homes are large , they could be forts …………for either side , if the defender has no numbers , they gunna die pretty soon if the attacker does have numbers and different directions of entry into the building , its inevitable . The trogs could also take over a house in the same area , then start moving house to house , be hard to unroot them if they do use one as a base . Thats the kind of thing I worry about . Stalingrad to me is the portrait of how bad things in a city could get .

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

In the initial phase of a break down, I would be out patrolling to collect Intel. I just wouldn’t LOOK like I was Patrolling. Ragged clothes two sizes too big, water bottle on a string, probably just a WW2-era bolt-action rifle. The Soviet Moisin-Nagant is available in America for under $200USD, so it’s a good option. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. Grey man. Maybe limp a little, look very stressed, about to cry. Watch everything. Make a show of gathering dandelions, maybe berries. The thing to avoid is the stuff that makes you stand out – military load-bearing harness, black rifle, all the Tacticool mail-order Mall Ninja Gear.

If things are bad, stay home and fortify the castle. DO NOT SHOW ANY REINFORCEMENT ON THE OUTSIDE. Fortify on the inside, where it’s not visible.

Just a note: during the siege of Leningrad (which held the record as the longest in history until Sarajevo) when starvation stalked every street (especially the 1st winter), people developed an ashen gray complexion. Everyone that is, except the cannibals. The Soviet’s deny it, but personal histories make it very clear that cannibalism was rampant. But the cannibals showed a healthier, pink skin tone that made them stand out, and hence they were dealt with quickly. Always try to look like everyone else.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Survival gardening depends greatly on your area.
    One of my customers related what happened here a few years ago.
    He and his wife started a nice garden, but thanks to cruddy soil here, only the tomatoes came up.
    They were going great until they started to ripen.

You guessed it, someone came in and took everyone of them, red or green.
    The next year, same thing.
    Now, no garden.

While he doesn’t live in a great area of town, (too many illegals, they’re everywhere) it does illustrate that people can be ruddy scumbag thieves even in the best of times. Without some form of guard on the garden, it could get interesting.

We plan to have as much put back while we can, especially vegetables, as gardening is almost a waste of time and effort around here, even without the criminals. Meat we can get, veggies are another matter.

Should one ‘keep up appearances’? Of course, for a multitude of reasons.
    First and foremost, to blend in with those that are also suffering. Don’t stand out. Look haggard, lose some weight, it’ll do you some good anyways. That way no one comes looking for your stores.

Secondly, the more you can supplement your stores, the longer they will last.

Thirdly, the intelligence you gather may put you into an advantageous situation. Knowing when to leave, knowing that a better location may not exist.

Many cities have suffered over the years, we can learn from all of them.
    What we see is that those who have the most skills, most information, and most adaptability, generally survive.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I also live in a City. Coral Gables. FL, it is next to Miami, FL. So I can grow a very good garden but if it will be in the back of the house I think that when a SHTF I will have to guard on the garden.

There are plants that many do not know about, I am studying these so I can plant them. The Cities will be interesting and hard to survive.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird,
    If you really want a garden for vegetables use the straw bale method of creating raised beds. No soil needed.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, Were can I get info on the straw bale method of creating raised beds. Do I just Google it? Or do have the info. I have hear about it.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom, no offense to 1974t150v but you live in Florida a huge vegetable growing place! Having lived and gardened there for 15 years (Hillsborough) I can honestly say that IMHO this is not something you need to do to grow a good vegetable garden there. What would be more important is a good system for keeping it well watered and fertilized; and, some provision made for shade cloth over some crops in the highest heat of the summer.

I have and still do sometimes use the straw bale method up here, but for potatoes mostly. This method also really needs a way to water it on a more regular basis than planting in the ground.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, Yes I know. I was thanking of my Florida room. The roof is a flat room and my bedroom has a door that I can walk on that flat roof. If a SHTF happens and there are people getting into my garden in the yard maybe I can grow something on the flat roof were no one can get up there that easy. Just thinking of other plans since the first year od a SHTF will be crazy in the City.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well Freedom, you are so fortunate to be a contractor! You will be able to figure out if your roof structure can handle the weight of sand/soil on your roof – and if it needs help – you are blessed with skills to fix it! Good idea. If you can build something about 4-5′ tall around the edges of it, I would think that would be even better. Why? 1) hide it from street view, 2) the plants will dry out less because it will help block the wind/steady breezes you get the higher you grow and that S FL is so well known for. Also, 3) you will have something to attach, support growing things vertically much easier like vine plants.

You would just need to install a good drip irrigation system. If you can support the roof enough, you could install a rain barrel or two and collect the water from your roof into the rain barrels. If the rain barrels are raised high enough, the gravity will feed your drip system without electricity/pumps.

Here is a video of a rooftop garden that I think, IMHO would work well for you there. With something/structure to attach shadecloth as needed you would be all set.

I know you grow things, but I thought this PDF from Broward County was pretty good for the area, in case in might be of some small help.

Gardening is my favorite subject!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, Thank you very much for the link pdf just saved it and will be reading it on my ipad.

On your question about,
    (If you can support the roof enough, you could install a rain barrel or two and collect the water from your roof into the rain barrels)

I am thinking of a support on a corner of the house higher then the roof to add one or two rain barrels. I will make a steel frame to hold them up so there will not be a problem with the roof. This has two uses, one is for the plants on the roof and the other is for the bathroom upstairs. I just remodeled the bathroom and the feed for the water is on the roof and I left a piper ready for the feed from the future rain barrel so when they cut the water I and the family can take a shower.

I am now remodeling the bathroom downstairs and will plan for the same two rain barrel system for showing.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Your most welcome Freedom. Your family is lucky to have someone who can do these things!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, It’s so easy I can”t imagine way anyone uses dirt anymore. Yes google it. Garden on your driveway anywhere.

https://www.google.com/search?q=straw+bale+gardening&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tL1CU7P5Ne2GyQHGiIHwCw&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1362&bih=631

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.