Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you are going to go out looking for food you better have someone at home protecting the the stored food you have. If not someone will hit your home to see if you have stored food and are not telling the truth.

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

I sure hope I don’t have to go looking for food for a while. I would imagine though that at some point gardening would be out of the question, especially if water is an issue.

I know that there are truckers and such that are planting potatoes off the sides of small highways and cashing food for others to find along the way.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

One thing that an old Korean war vet told me stuck in my head , this guy said , that if you are in a building , to open a window or so , and set off some smoke bombs , as people are not too keen to go into a building that they think is on fire .

Profile photo of skidmark
    skidmark
    Survivalist
    member2

Tolik – you might want to think through that plan. It’s all in the timing. Too soon and the smoke goes away before anybody can think the place is on fire. Too late and everybody sees it as a signal as opposed to a building on fire.

A pro tip – if there is smoke coming out windows and there are no scortch/burn marks then a) the fire is far away from the door/window the smoke is coming out of, or b) the smoke is a ruse. Recon of the other sides of the building (which you should do anyhow) ill give you a good clue as to which it is.

Another pro tip – the technique only works with white smoke. Most folks these days seem to carry every color BUT white smoke.

Final pro tip – if you are in area with even semi-organized units it helps to know what meaning they have given to various colors of smoke. Short story short – we needed smoke to cover movement and somebody threw purple. We had mortars raining down on the area where we were. (Unless broadcasting where/why you were using it, purple meant “Dear supporting arms (mortars or artillery), the enemy is here. Please shoot whatever ammo you have at them.”

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think that the first six months of an SHTF gardening would be out of the question since the garden would be seen by many that would want to take it all.
    You may find some things that can grow in side the home like bean sprouts. I grow mung beans in five day inside the house. They can be added to rice which would add protein. This is just one of many that can grow inside the house for the first six months to a year.

You need to save water and can foods for your family for a year.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Good points, freedom. Another is green onions (also can grow in water like mung beans, though they need some light – not a lot of nutrition, but a nice flavor option).

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom, I don’t think anyone should put off or stop gardening because you are worried someone will come and take your produce. You will need as much as you can get, as often as you can get it so you do not reduce your storage unnecessarily. In Florida you can grow almost all year around. But in more northern states that would mean going almost a year without producing any of your own, fresh, food. I for one would prefer to have to eat canned, freeze-dried and dehydrated food as little as possible, if possible.

The answer is to try and find a way to enclose/hide/camouflage your garden and place it where it can not be seen; garden in movable containers; or grow/blend your plantings of vegetables etc in with the landscape so it is not so noticeable as ‘food’. Visit permies.com or read about permaculture for ideas. If you would like some ideas for SFlorida for your place, since I grew there for 15 years, be glad to help.

Yes grow what you can indoors if you have the correct temps (but if power out and no backup heat in winter/live in north – nothing will germinate ;and light. But many would opt to cover windows and light sources with blackout material so might not have light. Without alternative power to power grow lights? Couldn’t grow much. I can grow mushrooms in a box in my closet, sprouts,micro-greens, tomatoes if I hand pollinate, and yes, my favorite potatoes now. But, if SHTF, I’ll probably at some point be pulling the curtains and putting stuff over my windows and skylights – so there may not be the needed amount and length of light most would need; and limit what I could grow. (sprouts and mushrooms)

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Huh…BIG type from post above…prefer NOT to have to eat only canned, etc.

Here is a picture of a small part of current garden from 1 year ago. From any side it is now very difficult to see even the fence from the outside. I use this picture so you can see what is the building basic structure I used. There is also now solar powered hot wire across top of fence and bottom and razor wire blended into part of what is now disguising the outside of the fence. The only way into the garden is to go through the area where you see the roof…of the very large dog house in the large dog pen – and only then if you notice that there is a gate there (disguised that as well) If I could do this so could you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

In all honesty, along with what we grow already foraging/trapping/hunting feature as a part of our prep plans for many scenarios, you often won’t know how long your stores will have to last you and I’d prefer to keep stores/preps for times of serious hardship. Foraging in the winter is a real pain for example so if I can supplement our stores with foragables all the better.

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva Thank you for the image of your garden. I do have some ideas to hide the garden but I live in a City called Coral Gables. The City is right next to Miami on one side, West Miami and South Miami on the other side so it is were homes are close together so I know the first six months in a SHTF will be hell with a lot of people that have guns but no food saved. They will hit the stores first but that will be the first week. After that they will go house to house looking for the food that we saved and prepared for.

I think that out of 100 houses maybe 5 are prepared the others do not think that they need to. They do not believe anything will ever happen. In the City out of 100 houses 90 have guns so here is the problem waiting to happen.

The first six month you have to not go out much, stay in the house with all my family members doing 24 hour lookout.

I am prepared for 20 person food for one year, water for two months and I do have a hand well and two 55 rain barrels too. I am working on many other things. I am saving seeds that do grow in South Florida that I have tested.

You do not want to be out to much in the first 30 days.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom! Your family is so fortunate that you have been thinking, planning and doing so much, to do your best,to keep them safe in the times to come! It is a lot of extra hard work on top of regular life. Sounds like you have a big family! Your are very lucky. Lots of helping hands.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, Yes I do have a big family, some are preparing but some are not. So I have to save for them too. It’s OK with me. God has given me so much that it is my time to prepare to save the ones that are not preparing. I know that when the time comes they will be the helping hands that we will need to make it though the SHTF.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

All solid ideas! Thanks for the insight everyone.
    Hannah

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Agree with the point of not going out in the first period, that period is chaotic, and usually people die then because “they go out to check what is going on”:
    Point of prepping here would be to have as more as you can, so you minimize risk of going out, but you still need to go out, to interfere with things, just if you are prepared you can choose when and how etc.
    If you are not prepared you may be forced to go out to find resources when it is really dangerous.
    It is about melting in everything around and looking like you are going trough all of the phases that other around you going trough, you don t wanna look like pepper.
    And it goes for everything, if everyone is scared, you need to look scared too, if everyone is dirty you need to be dirty etc.
    It is about keeping low profile (yes, again)

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Mr. Red has a good point. The Grey Man concept has always been helpful for me. Here is one way to look at the concept but not necessarily the only way: http://www.survivalthinktank.com/2011/11/grey-man-directive.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.