Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I once read a mention on another site that touched briefly on how to keep up appearances as a prepper when SHTF, especially in urban environments. For example, the only tip I recall is that you must go out every day to forage for food, just like your neighbors, or else they will realize that there is a good reason (your stores) that you don’t have to do that, and will come knocking at your door.

I would definitely be interested in other peoples’ views and thoughts on this, including any ways you plan to address this. For instance, how far do you go? When they eventually form a loose organization and start taking shifts on things like that, do you go out on your shift and put yourself in danger to find food for the group, when you really don’t need to do so in the first place? That seems like a dilemma to me, because letting on that you don’t need food is also dangerous.

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Sage advice.

My experience is probably not representative of a real SHTF/WORL scenario, but in my experience, everyone pretty much knew what everyone else had. It was more about defending it, and having a select few you could count on who could, in turn, trust you. You also had to be prepared to lose whatever it was, and to do what needed to be done to show that was unacceptable. That wasn’t always violence–most often, it was ostracizing that person from the group–but never in excess; only to get the point across.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

For us we would go out. We live on a 9 mile by 3 mile Island. and with that being said, those who dont get off the Island would soon be out doing such things. So yes for us fishing would be a big thing every day we could, wether we had to or not. But we do also have a large family that it could be shared with as well.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Tommy Kaira
    Tommy Kaira
    Survivalist
    member1

I would go out and search for food too. Just because you have preps doesn’t me you should stay indoors and munch your way through them. I would use them in emergencies for when other food sources run out not instead of other food sources. Sure, you may not have to take the risks that those without food might but you should still look for other resources anyway. Save your preps for when other resources run out.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Truth is that keeping the low profile is very important, so it is dangerous if people think that you have lot of food or whatever.
    It does not necessary means you need to go out for food even if you do not need it, you need maybe to LOOK like you go out for food.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

This is sort of the idea of the whole “Grey man”. Basically look like everyone else, not being bold/threatening, but still out in the space to see what is going on in your area. Pretty much what you’re doing is gathering intelligence and, somewhat, providing security/defence.

To put it more simply (and this is just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth), your defence needs to be like an onion, in that it has several layers until you’re at the centre. Think of the centre of the onion as your home or where ever you’re at. If you’re group is out in the space looking like joe/jill average, kinda dirty, beard in full effect, looking a bit tired, bit hungry, BUT they’re seeing if there is any threats making their way around your AO, then you have the upper hand in that you KNOW they are there, but they don’t know that you are. Get what I’m saying?

If they are a clear threat, you would want them to not be close to your home should a fight go down. Mind you, your intel gathering team should not be the ones to engage the threat. Make a plan, do it right, so you don’t get caught flat footed against something bigger than you (again, thats where the grey man/look like everyone else comes into play).

Intelligence is a key aspect in this type of environment. Knowing what is happening around you is vital for security and defence.

Anyway, hope you all understand my idea of the grey man and of being out in the space to gather intelligence while being the average joe. Questions?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thank you all for the good input – these are quite valuable information to have and to ponder!

Profile photo of skidmark
    skidmark
    Survivalist
    member2

Daily excursions are also a way to develop intelligence – knowing what and who is going on around you. It is done differently in an urban setting than a rural or wilderness setting, but it needs to be done.
    If you have already developed a network of contacts (something you need to start doing now, not when SHTF) you need to keep in touch with and cultivate them when S does HTF.
    I was able, as a white dude, to walk pretty much freely and unmolested through a few of the urban riots of the 1960s because I turned my contacts on all sides into being a go-between. I started that role before the SHTF and kept it up after the last glass was swept from the streets. I knew what was about to happen before it happened and on a few occassions kept things from becoming really ugly. During overseas tours (before they were called deployments) we not only sent out combat scouting patrols but ones to establish and maintain contact with the locals (even when the nearrest locals were many miles away). At night when the local farmer turned into our enemy it was often possible to know what/where/when/how he was going to try to mess with us, and thus do something to disuade him or beat him to the punch. The same goes for those living/operating near you.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Also excellent points, Skid – intel-gathering would be a very legitimate thing you’d need to do anyway, so batching it with “fitting in” and foraging (and, like someone else pointed out, no need to dip into your stores before time, so foraging would be a good idea anyway) would be the perfect solution.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

IMHO, I would go out to look for food along with everyone else. So you do have some stores on hand, they will not last forever. You will need to suppliment those stores as you go along. As time goes along, you will end up having to consume things that you would not have considered before and you will learn how to fix them. Some weeds are poisonous if consumed as is. However, they are quite tasty if you boil them with several changes of water. When I was in High School, I had a Biology teacher that had been a Marine in the South Sea Islands during WWII. They had been blockaded by the Japanese and their food stores ran out. He told us of turning over logs and eating the Grubs underneath. He said that they weren’t very tasty but they did sustain life.,

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

although I have food stores, I will be supplementing them with any food I can find, that way my stores will last longer, also being out you can see who else is moving about and what their doing-very important intel I think.

British Survivalist.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I would stay home and tend the garden. You are visible and guarding at the same time. Forage when you must.

Robin

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Don’t put on too much weight. That will be a dead give-a-way I would think. ;)

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

That reminds me of a bit of dark humor I once read, bushrat: (paraphrased) you don’t have to last forever on your stored foods… you just have to last long enough for the unprepared to die off. Then all the resources will be yours.

TheRumpledOne
    TheRumpledOne
    Survivalist
    member1

Beat them to the punch… Ask anyone you see if they can spare some food before they get the chance to ask you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.