Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I was out visiting the internet world when I ran into the post.  It got me thinking, I hope it does for you as well.

I was visiting a couple of the prepper group meetups here in Washington and in one of these groups the gentleman that was leading the group said to me “you need to get with the 21st century” from that point forward I couldn’t take this group seriously and it really did get me thinking. Keep in mind, when I say technology I am referencing things such as batteries, gps, freeze dried goods, flash lights etc.. *after a year the 21st century won’t exist*

Going through a lot of these so called ‘doomsday, homestead, off grid, SHTF’ websites and viewing youtube I had to start shaking my head, if a good number of folks buy into this technology as their savior and hope then a good number of these folks are in very serious trouble.

My grandfather and his brothers whom taken me under their wing when I was 5 (early 60s) had said many times “man can only provide man made material for so long but nature has an endless supply, learn to build from the stores of nature” I honestly can say people rely too much on technology and not enough on their intellectual capacity or taking advantage of the mind to learn the old ways. When you are the only person that has lights into the night on the mountain that light becomes the beacon for all to be guided to you and your fortress! Batteries of any type anything mechanical will only last so long, parts are no longer available once we are a year into the SHingTF. I like gadgets and technology as much as the next person but I only use it to assist for the short term not as a means to survive in the long term as I am seeing on many sites, water filters, bullets, batteries and canned food only last so long thus without the knowledge to plant a garden or learn the art of foraging for food and obtaining drinkable water people are in very serious trouble.

Technology is only short term not long term, your fortress is a bull’s-eye if exposed as a fortress such as razor wire, search lights, armed patrols, running the quads, yap you’re a target, yes perhaps you can defend against a few but not the masses once resentment sets in, all the guns all the bullets will not stop the hungry, soon resentment does set in then the hungry becomes the masses, it is imperative you become the environment blend in remove the bull’s-eye such as always wearing clean clothes, always shaving and using scented soaps flashing fancy gadgets, my wife who has hair down to her ass knows if things look as if it’s going to last I am cutting her hair to the ears, I will hide her feminine profile, always keep it in the back of your mind you are being watched you certainly don’t want to be followed. Keep it real think long term!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

LOL! they think when the SHTF there iphone will save them! I say first 30 days 50% are dead! After that there will be another 20 to 25% that will make it 60 to 120 days taking things like food and water from others until they meet one that will kill them.

The real store is maybe 20% will make it.

I do not think in the city it will matter if you are clean or not, once there is no food or water they will just kill you for it. Cities will be war zones. The gangs go for the easy homes, they will not go for the homes that are shooting at them. The cities have to many homes with people that will not be ready for them.

I do know that in my block we are all armed to the tee. So if it happens pray for me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,

I do hope you have an escape plan.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t subscribe to the idea that technology will not last.  There are to many senerios for collapse that do not include EMP.  In that case most of the tech stuff and manufacturing factilites will have usable equipment.

I’m not giving up flush toilets because someone else wants to live like primitive man.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, I think even if there was an EMP all it would do is set us back for five years but tech will come back.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

The problem with the tec part is….likely a lot of those tec people could very well be dead though.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy the rich have it backed up some were, to much money there! But it will not come back fast, it will take years.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I’m with ya’ Gypsy.  Can’t keep up with new technology anyway.  Back when I hiked with the PATC I was the one with an Adirondack packbasket while everyone else had cutting edge packs…  Whenever I buy tools for the future, they are good quality (preferably vintage) hand tools and kitchen tools.  (Yes I have a cordless drill for now, but my Dad’s brace and bit set kept safe.)

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I like to pair the two. As I’ve said before, these “advanced” forms of technology won’t just disappear. Many may actually prove to be quite useful, where as others just become history.

I do like the idea of having the knowledge to be able to transition in some forms back to the days of old. Honestly, what it really comes down to is if you’re able to produce electricity. If you can, you’re going to have an edge to your survival. If you can’t, it’s going to be tougher going, but it’s totally 100% do-able.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

1974, I think even if there was an EMP all it would do is set us back for five years but tech will come back. – free

Dude, really? I disagree. I think if there’s an intentional nuke-generated EMP that hits us, it will blow us back to the Dark Ages. I mean, think about it. We’re in the 21st century. How many people have access to working tech from the 20th century? Early 20th? Late 19th century? Early to mid 19th?

Example: Think about how much effort goes into just making a single candle.

Someone needs to be the beekeeper and harvest honey and wax. Wax needs to be filtered and poured into blocks. Then there’s the wick – made from cotton. Someone has to plant and grow the cotton to maturity, harvest it, etc. Then, someone else spins it into thread. For simplicities sake, lets say they’re using a drop spindle instead of a spinning wheel. Then you have to find someone who knows how to flat-braid the cotton into a wick. Then comes mordanting, which is soaking the wick in water and dissolved salt or borax to impart some flame-retardance. Without mordanting, the wick would be destroyed, so it’s critical. Then you have to find someone who knows something about soldering and/or tinning and have them make you a gang mold. Melting wax today is usually done in a double boiler to keep from scorching and/or igniting the wax. Today’s release agent is usually silicone, but cooking oil or mineral oil could probably be used satisfactorily…

NOW you’re ready to make your candles…

And this is just a simple candle. Even back in the early 19th century, they had treadle powered lathes, drill presses, etc.. not anymore. Most folks are so dependent on modern tech, they would be babes in the woods without it. And not only are they unfamiliar with previous generations of tech, they have no idea how to duplicate it if they had to, even if they had the means.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I vote Melgus in charge of candle making. (I’m not nominating you for in charge of me though)

Necessity is the mother of invention so the things people need will get made. It will come dowm to how do we power our machines to make stuff.

Melgus if you find a steam turbine your golden.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

My 2 cents. I think the entire subject will depend on what events occur, when they occur, where they occur (and how widespread) and in what sequence. For I do think there will be sequences. I probably think more like 1974. That said however, my ‘gut’ tells me l better concentrate on learning ways to do things without electricity or reduced electric capability for some time whatever sh*t may happen. I don’t think I will be living again in the cave man era. There is too much knowledge out there. And if the knowledge is preserved, society can still once again progress.I do think that there are alternative energy sources under development, or already developed, that we don’t hear much about because it would disrupt the way things are and the income/interests of powers that be. If you think about it,our reliance on coal, gas, oil,nuclear is really archaic. Heck I knew a guy in the late ’70’s that had built and drove his own hydrogen-powered car.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

OBTW – 1974 – read this book. You’ll like it! I started it last night. Click here. ‘The Knowledge – How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch’ by Lewis Dartnell. You can get it for a kindle.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I vote Melgus in charge of candle making. (I’m not nominating you for in charge of me though) — 1974

Yeah, yeah. Har, har, har… Malgus, King of the Candles… :)

You know, back in the original Dark Ages, only the very wealthy could afford candles – the genuine article – because they were so time consuming and labor intensive to make. Everyone else had to make do with betty lamps filled with rancid, rendered pig fat. Betcha that smelled good. Some snackbar type biffs us with an EMP and folks like me will become right popular….

1974: “Hey Malgus! I heard you make candles. I’ll take 3 dozen.”

Malgus: “Sure thing! That’ll be 6 gold eagles, 5lbs of salt, 2lbs of sugar, a dozen canning jars with lids and seals and a written promise for 10% of next year’s harvest…”

1974:

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, The only way tech will be gone is if there is a very large solar flare that covers the earth! But dude do you really think that China which makes almost all tech is not going to sell more to us or the rest of the world! And EMP only cover us, not Europe! Not India! Only us.

So yes five years it will start and by ten years we are back, who ever is still alive. Yes the U. S. will not be the same and China will be 100% world power.

Remember EMP only takes out a zone, if big enough maybe the U. S. but dude you still have all the rest of the world using tech!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.