Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Most of us are fairly well prepared for winter.
    But jow about our kids ?

The highway going east has been closed for over 8 hours.

Not bad for most of us, but we had a middle school basketball tournement today and half a dozen or more teams of teen girls are stuck in town.

Light coats, no spare clothes, no toiletries, and how much cash does one bring when you expect to be home for a late dinner.

Some of these girls only live 30 miles away but it may as well be thr far side of the moon, you can’t get there from here especially in a bus.

Moods were darkening earlier as cell phone batteries were going dead. Just hoping they all found hotel rooms as school busses are a lousy place to spend a night.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

We must always be ready. I hope they will be safe and warm.. and home soon.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interacting with teens can be a test of your personal skills. Why wear winter clothing in freezing weather when you can go in something that looks cool?

Seems to me the hosting school should provide emergency facilities within the school’s buildings until the roads are open. Each attending school should pay for meals until the students are home. School function=school responsibility.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

They were in 3 different schools, that way they could get more games going at once.
    One team left before the tourney was over, that I know of, right after they heard the road was closed, no idea what that driver was thinking.
    Haven’t heard what ended up happening but the road opened around 0130.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I do think that in the cold areas of the country they do need to prepared for winter. The schools that have teams or events that leave there areas need to prepare for this by telling the parents what there children need to take in there backpack including funds. The school bus need to be prepared too, with extra water and blankets.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

NE winters are bad , but one thing I remember a co-worker telling me when I lived in Maine . This guy liked winter , and he told me one time why . ” Winter is a filter ” , and I asked what he meant by that . He then told me that people dont flock to areas during winter , all the noisy summer vehicles like motorcycles , drunks in the street , etc. go away during winter time . Harsh , but things are peaceful lol .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, something that I’ve long thought as an advantage of winter up here is that should SHTF in winter, the BoWash hordes won’t even think of heading north.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL , thats what I was thinking too !!!!!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

After September 30th they’re all gone. When I lived on Mt Desert the place was empty after the holiday.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

This is a good point about how ill prepared our kids are during away games. I remember getting broke down one year during an away basketball game. It was cold, annoying, and there was no plan to take care of the kids on the bus. To make it worse, we were not allowed to take anything more than 1 “school sponsored” sports bag. We had to buy ours from the local sports shop that had our school mascot on it. Our gear BARELY fit in the stupid thing. My daughter wasn’t allowed but 1 bag on the bus when she played (couple years ago) so that hasn’t changed much over the years.

We always made arrangements to follow the bus during away games for our kids, but it was not even close to easy. If we did the 2 hour road trips like we had to do when I was in high school this would have not been an option. It would REALLY be tough to figure out.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Where I used to live there were a bunch of boarding schools in the area. The boarders were from all over the country and the world. Most such schools are grades 9-12. Some start at 7th grade and occasionally you can find them starting with boarders in 5th or 6th grade. Yes, some of the elites do pack their kids off at those ages. My small town had hundreds of boarding school students ranging down to the lower end of that range grade level, though the majority were high school age. I was part of the emergency planning group which at the time was more focused on a pandemic than other potential SHTF events, and one of our concerns was what to do with all those kids who might be stranded in our town. The person in charge of our group wanted the largest of the schools to maintain a year’s supply of food just in case, but of course they thought she was crazy and ignored her. We were also hoping that if we had the luxury of time that we’d want to shut the schools down and get the kids back home with their families so as not to be stranded in our town without resources to care for them, but that is likely just wishful thinking too. The schools likely would not cooperate until it was too late to take action. It costs about $53K per year currently to send a kid to these schools. Hopefully the parents won’t come to find their kids were stranded far from home without resources to care for them.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

When our oldest has away games, we end up packing what amounts to an additional meal in her lunchbox.
    Yup, we are so uncool as to require a lunchbox.

The coat issue is one I struggle with, but generally give in about at least when they’re in town. Out of town, here’s your parka.

The long trips are a challenge for certain, but while they have to ride up on the bus, they can ride home with parents.

The bonus to the bus, there’s lots of room, small teams and extra bags are fine. Next year, high school, we shall see.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, did you say “It costs about $53K per year currently to send a kid to these schools.” $53K! that is a lot of money! Cost more then a University.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well what is there about public schools that anyone likes at this point. My kids played sports as well. Athletic Directors suuck at their jobs, most coaches suuck, 75% of the teachers suuck, the curriculum suucks, ok so I got that off my chest.

Anyway expecting intelligent planning for bus trips is probably delusional.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I Live in small community in the mountains, we get closures all the time when it happens here one or more of the churches will open and the volunteers will provide all the work,food and clean up at a moments notice as a lot of the folks have kids in the high school. we had 60 trucks plus full rental for Christmas 3 days till it was fixed… provided all the meals for everyone, including pick up and drop off of all the stranded truckers (police did it). over 200 meals 3 times a days.

Here some dont prepare, but most do out of necessity as you can go at least a week without new groceries.

It is why i moved here as petty as some people areand gossip mongers they are when it gets hard they pull together, cant say that about the big city i lived in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.