Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

After I Install the new boiler I’ll load this one into my van and take it to the scrap yard. I have a set of rollers to take it out to the street. I’ll use block & tackle to pull it along by fastening to the van. The crane lifts high enough to load it into the van. At the scrap yard I’ll roll it of the back using planks to protect the vehicle, Or get them to use a forklift.

Edit: Boilers come in sections that are held together with bolts. Tomorrow I’ll cut the bolts and break it down into pieces. I was going to keep it intact but I have few turns to make and it will be easier then tearing down a wall.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moving day for the new boiler.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great job 74.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Freedom. Tools make the man.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Congratulations. Its not just the tools but also the skills knowing how to use them. Getting something that heavy down the stairs (and the old one up the stairs) is no easy trick. Hopefully the new unit saves you plenty on this winter’s energy costs. Looks like it is going to be a long winter again. I’ve had ice on my pond for several days now.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, All of this cold is part of Global Warming!!!! You know it is getting colder because of Global Warming! I have lived in Miami, Florida for 53 years and I do not remember a Nov that has had days in the 50’s since I have lived here so that Global Warming must be getting us colder.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, its a brave new world. Hot is cold,cold is hot. Do not question Big Brother.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

74… It seems like a big boiler so I was wondering about the btu output and the firing rate on the nozzle. Are you going to antifreeze the lines? Mine is getting close to the end and I may replace it in a year or three for better efficiency although its shut down in the winter. Its over 50 years old. How old is yours btw. Are you replacing because it has leakage problems or its an antique. Mine is definitely an antique. The controls on it look like they would survive emp, very old design, but they were built to last. We only use it for short periods in the fall and spring, so it doesnt make much difference, except I’ll save a lot of bucks not replacing it. I like the thought of new looking though if I decide to sell. I could do the replacement myself and its tempting. But its work. At least 2-4 thousand by the time I’m done fersure. yes no yes no its really a tossup for me. lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    The new one is small 75,000 btu, Weil Mclain uses the same packaging for all of their units so it looks biger then it is. The old unit was over 60 years old. The firebox lining was cracked and it leaked from multiple places. I’m doing a refurb so I can’t have something like that around. The new controls are high tech but I won’t be depending on it after emp. It has 86% efficiency.
    Material costs about 2500 with new stack, auto air vent, auto feed, expansion tank and a new piece of 1.25 pipe +fittings. No labor costs. I had to spend an extra $65. for a new tube cutter that would go up to 1.25″.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.