Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

As I changed out the snow plow for the mowing deck today I was thinking about how many times I use some aid to lift or move heavy items. I have various jacks, a motor cycle lift, 1 ton shop crane, 1 ton chain hoist, and a couple sets of block & tackle. I have this stuff because it is needed to move things and not just up and down, sideways as well.

A jack can open or push apart almost anything you can fit it into. They are commonly used in emergencies as the Jaws of Life to pry open cars after an accident. Well I was thinking how someone might need to open some doors after shtf.

One day I was at a inner city business and the owner had cement barriers across the front of the steel garage doors in his warehouse. When I asked about them he told me that was the only way he could keep thieves from using car jacks on the doors. They would poke a hole in the door and then jack the door up. It didn’t matter what kind of lock he had on the door. The door was going up or getting bent and destroyed. Virtually every car has some type of jack to use if need be.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, There you go, something that I have not been think about at all. I need to invest in some. Which one do you think if you had to have one in a SHTF?

Profile photo of MidSouth Mitch
    MidSouth Mitch
    Survivalist
    member2

Look into “farm” or Hi-Lift jacks or Porta-Power hydraulic ram sets. Good old bottle jacks are more compact and can come in handy as well.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Don’t forget to add some good pulleys to your list! Very handy.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Thanks for the links, I have a Harbor Freight about 2 to 3 miles away from my house.

tweva, I will look at the pulleys too!

It is a beautiful sunny day in Miami today. Will be going to a family dinner tonight.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Happy Easter to everyone! My God Bless You.

Profile photo of Kiwi25
    Kiwi25
    Survivalist
    member3

http://www.tractel.com/us/series.php?id_serie=47

I was going to post about these wire rope haulers.. when I had to pull out my SUV which I nearly put over a bank… long story ..:-(….. Anyway they are great for all sorts of uses …expensive , so look out for them 2nd hand. I got 2 that way over the years.. a big one and a small one which is more portable.
    They pull with a slow controlled pull, much safer than pulling with a vehicle… which all happens fast. Ideal for pulling up a windmill tower I am told.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kiwi25 Thanks, I will like my eyes open for one.

Profile photo of Kiwi25
    Kiwi25
    Survivalist
    member3

Another great use for long cable haulers is when you are felling a tree and you want to ensure the direction of fall.. maybe against it;s natural lean… or because there is a building nearby. If you use a ladder you can attach the cable high up the tree and get great leverage, and get far enough away so you don’t pull the tree on top of yourself. As you cut the tree leave a good hinge of wood.. and work the cable hauler.. and the tree will bend where you want it to fall.
    It is really a high tech tool… which is still worked by human power.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kiwi,
    The uses are nearly endless once you start using equipment like this. We used similar designed equipment in construction for man lifts. You can go as high as your cable. In this case about 300′

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Kiwi, what you use is similar to the simple cable puller usually called a “come-along” in the U.S. I use one too, which I got at The Sportsmansguide. Harbor Freight carries them as well. I can pull my truck out of a ditch with mine. BUT …

… Heaven help us if the cable should snap when it’s tense. A metal projectile would come at our skull at hundreds of miles an hour.

That’s why I favor an electric winch with a control that allows me to stand 20 feet away from the tense cable, to one side.

I love my come-along but am wary of it. Does your device have some trick that would make it “go limp” if it snapped?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Anselm,
    I believe the cale puller Kiwi uses is a more versatile tool then a come along as it does not reel the cable on a spool but pulls the cable through it. This allows you to use unlimited cable lenght.

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Thank you, 74. Yes, that is much more versatile.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Anselm,

Couple things…

When you’re winching, take something large – like a wet beach towel or something similar – and drape it over the line. This will act as a brake in case something lets go. Really.

If you’re still worried about breaking things, prop open your hood. If the line breaks, at least it won’t blow out your windshield..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.