Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

This is not a full review but an initial impression, I just received the knife today.

First thoughts:

The knife balances well for what it is, slightly grip heavy it stays in the hand when you open your grip.

The grip looks awkward but tucks into the palm comfortably, even for a large hand. The micarta scales are built to last, an excellent choice for hard use.

The blade is just long enough, one can get a fore-finger to the tip for gutting and skinning comfortably. There is a decent factory edge, although a bit steep an angle for my preference.

All in all, a very nice knife so far.

The negatives:

The crinkle finish on the blade is thick snd heavy, we shall see how it lasts, and if it hinders cutting by being so rough.

The grip scale screws are a bit confusing, the blade a matte black, the scales a pepper grey, but the screws are high polished and bright. Highly out of place.

The sheath, is something I’d expect on a $10 knife, crude and clumsy, I will be making a replacement immediately.

The accessories are better than the sheath, the ferro rod throws a good spark for its size, while not as easy to use as a standard bar style it would certainly get one through an emergency. Its a good backup tool size.

Right off, I’d have no problems recommending the knife with the kit, I am favorably impressed. But would recommend replacing the sheath with one from a holster/sheath maker.

More to follow.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I really love my Izzy II. And like you said, the sheath isn’t really the best, but I manage. As for the coating on the blade, mine has held up for quite a while now (about 3 years).

I’m definitely a fan of this knife.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks for the impressions. When I saw the knife I really wanted to get it (thats why it became the price for the competition). Its still on my wishlist, looking forward to more details.

What kind of sheath will you make?

And how do you guys carry the knife? Its a bit too big for a neck knife I guess.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I rock mine on my belt, but I have had it as a neck knife. Tad on the heavy side (I’d rather an original Izula with no handles for that) but I got use to it.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the review.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I keep Izula tucked away in the bag. Good knife for its role. Thanks for review.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, its been a while and the knife has endured some serious abuse.

After putting it through some fairly menial paces, making tinder, opening boxes, basically getting used to the size and shape, I ended up carrying it daily for 6 months.

And I broke a few rules with it, normally I would go and get an appropriate tool when confronted with various jobs, in these instances I just used the knife like so many others would do.

The coating, better than i initially thought. It slides through deer and elk skin and meat very well. It doesn’t however hold up well to being used to scrape caulk from between metal window frames. Imagine that.

I did say abuse right?

The edge, surprisingly good out of the box, a little work across some crock sticks and it became scary sharp. And better yet, stayed sharp through several deer and elk, only needing the fat removed from the edge to restore the cutting ability.

Okay, I’ll say it, I like it.
    Any changes? Tough call.
    As it is, it makes a great neck knife, not overly bulky or heavy.
    As a backup knife tucked into the beltline, again it wears well in a different sheath.

I would like to see a slightly different model, say with an extra inch of blade length and slightly thinner in cross section, for easier deboning of critters and fishing use.

All around a good knife, better than expected by far.
    I have no issues giving this a strong recommendation for anyones jump bag, e-kit or for daily use.

It does not replace a good belt knife, but augments the capabilities of such highly.

Pictures to follow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.