Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

What’s this, old guys rule?

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, somebody has to so why not old guys. Of course I say this feeling the effects of having taken a sledge hammer to two large but rotten stumps this morning, then an axe to chop out a few smaller stumps, and finally a shovel and hard rake to break up a couple mounds so as to smooth out the last part of my stone wall area. None of this has any prepping value whatsoever but was rather just aesthetic. I have now cleaned up my entire frontage (about 500′) on both sides of the stone wall. When I bought this place you couldn’t even see the wall in the dense growth, grape vines etc, plus there was an old farm fence on the inside that I have to cut away one section at a time to remove it. This space was roughly 10 – 15′ deep on the inside and 5 – 10′ deep on the road side, so a very big project overall. Lots of stones that had tumbled over a couple centuries had to be put back in place too. So yes, old guys rule.

Profile photo of Selene
    Selene
    Survivalist
    member1

Us not-quite-dead-yet chicks ain’t so bad either! Got 25 acres, 2 horses, fences to maintain, pond to keep up, etc. etc. All down here in the deep, deep old South!
    Mid-life is WAY more painful than I expected (since I didn’t expect any of it) & I remember fondly the days before my curves had a few curves of their own. Truth is, I need to get in shape. But, I’m willing, not too bad a shot, grew up on a farm so my gardening skills are there though in truth my 32 yr old son has the greener thumb. Between the two of us, tucked back off this little country road 20 miles from the nearest WallyWorld, it isn’t such a bad life. Still, it’s time to face prepper reality. Time to train up a little by putting some hay bales in the barn!
    Think I might lay in a larger store of ibuprofen (Motrin) than I’d originally bargained on :-)
    Selene

Profile photo of Gwyddone
    Gwyddone
    member2

Just managed to check it – and yes, I’m quite effed, mainly with the physical side. I have a bad health (several allergies and migraines), and while I am in a fairly good shape for being myself, I’m asthmatic, and have a light build (48 kgs, tops, for 158 cms). My sisters are more physically capable, but we are without valid combat experience – just a few years in martial arts, no real shooting skills, and while I know how to throw a grenade, and assemble a gun, like my father, my little sisters never bothered to learn it.
    My family has some experience in maintaining a garden, and canning food – in fact, we have quite a big pantry from this. We have a few animals (rabbits, and we are planning to get some ducks), but my father is unable to slaughter them – until they look like bunnies, chicks etc, he cannot be forced to even chop them up! My mother and I have no problems with this, but my sisters are like my dad. We are better off when it comes to chopping up wood, and heating with fire, and currently, we are dealing with a water pipe burst, so we know how to use as little water as possible. We are storing a great amount of food, and have a small stock of necessary drugs and bandages, besides the usual products (candles, lighters, coffee, cigarettes, gas masks, you know). But the physical and mental side of the things… I think the author of the article was right. Definitely have to prepare for this, too.

"just a little girl"

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.