Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Okay soo its been a year since I was last here. And for that I am sorry. But lets see.
    In the past year a lot has happened and changed. Been thinking about that lately how things have changed.
    My father is no longer with us, he was our Patriarch. I have been bumped from second in command to first.
    The children are growing. One is now eighteen and moving out on her own with the boy friend.
    The second has started kindergarten. My brother is no longer in St johns, with the woman and boys.
    But is now with a woman who has a 16 yr old girl. We all now live within the town limits but have
    property out side the limits. We have gone from having Sled dogs equaling 8 to 16.
    We still have the chickens and ducks and geese. From six or eight goats to two.
    From one horse to three mares and two stallions.

Our group can cover many areas.
    Two are teccy.
    Two can sell snow to an Eskimo.
    two can grow just about anything.
    At the least three can work with there hands,
    wood, building, mechanic, welding.
    One post military.
    Two can trap and hunt.
    One can cover medical.

So how has your year changed?

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Much of how my world has changed in the past year will remain private on line. But some of the changes may be relevant here. For one, I found the SHTF Forum, thanks to two good members here, with whom I had previous association on an on line forum of which we were all a part since (or very shortly after) its creation many years ago. That fell apart for a variety of reasons. While it did not define me, I did find it to be a great resource to have, and a place to re-ground myself from time to time. It was also a place where I could remind myself that either I wasn’t entirely crazy, or else I at least had others with whom we could all be roughly equally crazy, which thereby created normalcy. <grin>

While that previous forum didn’t include as much prepping, it was still a good group of folks. And I have appreciated an equally good bunch of folks here. PLUS, the additional hints, projects, etc., still provide me with significant ideas and new information as I dig back further and further in some threads. I’m a better, and more prepared person because of the posts here.

We’ve learned to start disposing of more and more things that were not as important to us anymore. They’d just been around for so long, AFTER having been important in previous years (or decades), that it was hard to part with them. And rationality set in, allowing us to prioritize (still very much an ongoing, but fortunately progressing, process).

We added some new “equipment” (nothing implied or intended – just a generic term covering a lot of different things) in the past year, learned new ways of doing things, and more seriously committed to growing a lot more of our own things for personal consumption. It’s better for us now, and will be critical for us later if we’re still around once the SHTF.

We’re beginning to move toward having an alternative electrical source for at least some things, in the past year. That’s still in its infancy, but at least the technical knowledge is coming up quickly, and a little of the equipment is now part of our “inventory.” Having largely conquered the survival water problem, it became clear that power was another area needing considerable attention.

It’s late, my brain is shutting down, and some of the other changes need to stay on my side of my finger tips, so I’ll leave it at that.

Oh – one last thought. It’s probably been in about the last year, not much more at most, that I’ve finally decided that the once great United States is not a constitutional republic, and that our Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land in actual practice. What I learned in school as a kid is now largely a fairy tale. And I’ve moved past the denial as well as anger stages, of that grieving process. Along with that, I’m particularly grateful for this forum for gaining a much greater understanding of what’s really going on in the lives of very real people in other countries all over the globe. This has been a wonderfully eye-opening experience for me here, if only for that one reason (but of course there’s much more).

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Hmm.
    Shut the shop down, only doing firearms training basically, except friends and family.
    Got a ‘real’ job, still up in the air about this.

Just alive and trying to be.

Oh, and have become more grumpy and curmudgenly with age.
    Especially concerning certain subjects, you can probably guess which.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The biggest thing for me this past year was becoming a Town official. It is hard to truly become part of the community when you arrive late in life. Not having grown up here, raised our kids here, or worked here, the opportunities to meet people were very limited. Becoming a Town official changed all that for me. I’ve met more people here in the past year that I did the prior 5 and have both become a known entity and a true part of the community. It takes more than just owning property in a small town to be considered a full member of a community, and you don’t want to be a stranger come SHTF.

The other thing this past year was my new 75’X170′ veggie garden.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Another year of experiences both good and bad. Finally got the water situation on the back of the property under control. Began the steps to move to a slightly more secure location. The gardening seems to be coming along nicely, improving on that skill constantly. Enjoyed the fruits of our labors this year.

Much like Georgia Saint I have moved past getting emotionally involved in the political situation. The republic is gone for all practical purposes. The politico’s view the constitution as an interesting document that has little relevance today. So I devote all my energies to keep my family safe and secure.

have learned so much on this forum, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank everyone here for their insights.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Hmmm, as you get older, change happens inevitably. Turned 73 which amazes me since my father never reached this age. We are still on our tiny lot on the edge of a small city. Have a veggie garden which does well, planted a fruit tree and some berries. Still hunt waterfowl, but this season has not been great–here in OK nor, as I hear from friends, has it been–in Texas or other places due to our winter being too warm. Bought a youth/ladies’ crossbow and have permission to hunt a few places, at long last. Bushrat, my beloved, had emergency heart bypass surgery–was given 3 months to live if he didn’t. So the past 4 months have been spent recovering under my care, and now his prosthetic legs are being refitted. God in His grace kept him alive, for which I am grateful. Bushrat is my best friend and co-adventurer in life, as well as extremely knowledgeable about firearms and defense strategy. OUR CREDIT CARD IS PAID OFF! A major accomplishment–actually a gift from God. Never thought we would see this day. We sold our former travel trailer (old & heavy) and purchased a newer, lighter one–outfitting it for a BOV as well as hunting cabin. And it is ostensibly for traveling to art shows to sell my work. Another gift from God, my artwork is doing extremely well already this year, after having to cancel all my fall shows due to Bushrat’s surgery. So, as long as the economy continues and people hunt/show/breed dogs, I will be making sales and turning the income into preps…;) I know the country and world are teetering on the brink of collapse, but although we are not young and very strong any more, we have many skills and the will to survive. The rest is in God’s hands. I love this forum for the conservative views and practical experiences.

[attachment file=”Alice GooseCr.jpg”]

[attachment file=”Marsh Veteran.72dpi.jpg”]

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by wildartist wildartist.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by wildartist wildartist.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Nice looking lady, and beautiful art work. I love your attitude. Thanks for sharing.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

You are an inspiration wildartist. I admire your can do approach to life.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Great work. I can easily see why it sells so readily. Remember 70 is the new 30. Glad to hear Bushrat is doing well.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Mrs. Tec planted a row of tomatoes behind the new (to us) house in Ohio late last spring, and when we returned after necessary trip “home,” the plants had grown so large and heavily laden, that they had broken down the support stakes, and the tomatoes were tasty. Encouraging! …

Wildartist, those are great photos! I salute Bushrat for keepin’ on, and you for your post-op care, and take courage from your account.

Roadracer, as for 70 being the new 30 — wow! I have more “gearing up” to do than I reckoned.

Whirlibird, Don’t let age make you grumpy — each additional year is an increment of success.

Gypsy, it sounds like your group can survive most situations. Hats off!

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Love the pictures Wild! You are very talented. We have been in a bit of a holding pattern this past year. About a year and a half ago my father in law purchased a piece of property. It was a multi purpose property but mainly it was a place to run to if need be. We have been hunting on it and making improvements. Unfortunately we are finding that the game supply in this area is not exactly what we hoped for. The location is fantastic in relation to other like minded individuals which we have been acquainted with for a very long time. We have preps in place(although we could use more) but now we have to decide if we want to keep this place or find another. Just don’t want to put anymore work into the place if we aren’t going to keep it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,
    If it was my decision the lack of game would not be a major factor, not in terms of post shtf anyway. I expect most of the game to disappear relatively quickly.

You. Might find Small Game like rabbits could be managed to increase the populations and are less observable from a distance. They also do not range far so they would not stray off to unknown locations.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

74 it in fact isn’t ultimately my decision. I can put my 2 cents in but it isn’t “my” place. As stated before it kind of serves double duty. For SHTF it is great; remote enough to minimize major traffic but still part of a small tight knit community. We actually have many allies who are like minded who own property within a few miles in several directions. We also hunt recreationally on the property, mostly deer. Our family has always hunted in areas where deer were plentiful. It was not uncommon to see 10-20 deer in a sitting. Spoiled I know lol. The new place generally yields seeing just a couple deer every other sitting or so. I agree game will dry up fast in SHTF but if there isn’t as much to start with it will dry up even faster. Wild game won’t be our main meat source but every bit helps. So we are left with a dilemma. Mostly just waiting to see how quickly things spiral down. Would hate for things to fall apart mid move.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.