Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Every day, possibly hourly a new thread appears online about the ultimate,  the best, the end all-be all survival gun or guns.With this comes the ever present arguments, Glock vs 1911, AR vs AK, 9mm vs .45, .22 for…..And so on.

What most forget is that most of the arguing at least in the self defense arena is about trivialities.  Caliber? Triviality.

Make and model? Triviality.

Capacity?  This can vary but for most its still a triviality. What makes me say this?
    Simple. Whether I carry a Glock or 1911 is not as important as the fact that I’m carrying a handgun.

Same applies to carbines. It matters little to the bad guy which I just shot him with, AK or AR. All he cares about is that he no longer feels good. 
    FerFAL’s recommendation of the Glock pistols is not a bad one. At the same time, the XD and M&P serve the same purpose and may work better for some. In all reality, there’s little practical difference between them. They shoot the same ammo, are about as accurate as each other, and do the same jobs.  

Many years ago I tucked away a little Star PD .45 Auto. It rode many a mile in an inside the pants holster. Over the years its been replaced by a multitude of other handguns, but I can’t say that any were more or less effective,  they all kept me safe and secure. Granted some carried more ammo than others, some were more accurate,  but they all worked and would continue to do so. 

Anymore I don’t make general recommendations because so many have different needs and locations. And as such, there are always difficult choices.  What you choose is less important than the fact you chose to have and carry defensive firearms. To each their own. 

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

With your love for certain makes and models, dislike for others and tendency to direct people towards one type firearm or another this post really surprises me.

I will have to say that I am in 100% agreement with you on this post. As long as you can safely and effectively use the firearm it is purely preference after that. That is why there are so many options. …

Good post and thread….

http://ageofdecadence.com

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Oh I do prefer certain makes, models and more.
    But that’s my preference for me. I’ve spent countless dollars and hours learning what I like and dislike, and more importantly, why.

I try to steer people towards a target or goal, even if its not one I prefer.

I do put forth some strong opinions about certain makes/models, and that’s in part because of the extremes that some people are willing to go to without being able to either justify or qualify their choices.

I am a 1911 fan, no question.
    Why do I carry a Glock?

I don’t like the AK.
    But there’s one in my wifes closet.

Much of what I say comes from nearly 30 years of fixing guns.
    Other parts from 10 years behind a badge. Seeing what works and doesn’t and both reading and being present for autopsies.

Certain features lend themselves more appropriately to “survival” than others. Digging through all the bs is the challenge to finding the answer.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree 100% , it doesnt matter . Just have one , know how to use it , and have enough ammunition to operate it , and supplies to keep it clean and running ………..yes , even an AK should be cleaned .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I agree Whirlibird… words spoken from years of experience. When folks seek my advice I always suggest find a platform you’re comfortable with and you will have available when you need it. Moreover if not already get quality training with your choice of weapon and have that training include shooting under stressful conditions if possible and at night. Keep in mind ammo availability (and cost for practice) and have some stock on hand. In a handgun choice don’t get too caught up in caliber debates like 9mm vs 45ACP. Shot placement is big deal particularly with modern self defense ammo…a lot of development in self defense ammo over last twenty years making 9mm a more viable choice. I’ve committed to Glock and 1911 platforms and enjoy my revolvers but a lot of other good choices out there. I have experience with both AK & AR platforms and own both. Just can’t say enough for folks still looking into this topic — find what platform works for you and commit to the practice and training of using it and taking care of it. Having spare parts is a good thing too. I’ve learned a lot by talking with good gunsmiths.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

There is a real lack of options here in canada when it comes to weapons. 95% of un restricted are aimed at hunting.

Even if you had a home intruder here in canada, and you blasted him, or heaven forbid he slips and smacks his head. You can be charged with manslaughter, and or in the case of the latter, he could sue you, the home owner.

****, if you even point a weapon, unloaded or not at a home intruder, you could be going to jail for some time…

I read a story about a guy having a dispute with his couple mile away neighbors, who one day decided to fire bomb his house with molotov cocktails. He fired warning shots over their heads, after they fired his house… Guess who went to jail?

Sorry that was off topic

Shotguns have actually become my least favorite weapon. Not because they are undependable (they are very dependable), but because after 25 yards you might as well be shooting blanks. I know that may rub some people the wrong way, but let me ease those feelings by saying I believe its probably the best home defense weapon, for those who live in places that allow citizens to defend themselves in their homes…. Slugs and 00 buck will pretty much stop a bear on your staircase instantly, tho your ears will be bleeding.

They tried to make a move to restrict shotguns here in the last few years, what an uproar that was. They will try again tho.

Being a gun noob myself, I dont think I qualify to say much past what I know.

I know I love my 10-22 ruger, and I love the looks on peoples faces when they go shooting, and I pull out that little dinky rifle and take out pine cones at 30 yards in quick succession, when they have been blasting at them for 5 minutes.

Love that rifle, accurate as hell at 100 -200 yards, quiet, hardly ever jams (depending on ammo, which I still cannot get much of… managed to get 2 boxes of 222 lr hp .22 yesterday, they sold out of 700 boxes of 500 rounds at one store instantly, and the big main store had more than that, and was on the verge of selling out when i picked my boxes up. wish i could afford more…but allas I am poor.)

The only thing I do not like about the 10-22 ruger, is that it looks so un intimidating lol.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Good post Whirlibird. Still like your opinion on the .45’s and AR-15.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Having spare parts is a good thing too” nothing wrong with spare parts to keep a gun running, but having a spare gun as well as parts that is ready to go if your primary fails is better. It takes time to strip a gun, put it back together and get it back in action.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

KOS any gun looks intimidating when it’s aimed at you.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS,
    You can buy an after market stock for the 10/22 in any configuration you want.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Whirli – thanks for the post. I agree, choice of a firearm is like choosing a wife, given careful thought and how the two of you “bond”. Although I will say that an old .44 caliber won’t mind if you trade it in for a couple of .22’s if you get tired of it! ;)

What’s that old cowboy saying? “Be wary of the man who only owns one or two guns as you can be sure he knows how to use them!”

KOS – sorry for those of you in the far north without the 2nd Amendment to give you some protections. How about a baseball bat? Tire iron? A solid fist? Or are you just supposed to let them do what they want without figting back at all? Just curious.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.