Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I think that oil is just an excuse. We have a resurgent Russia, and China is beginning to flex it’s muscle on the world stage. If WWIII starts I suspect we will be at fault. I hate saying that, but I see no other way.

Revolution II would only work if a sufficient number of military and law enforcement men and women join in. Even though the President has purged a lot of good officers from the active duty ranks, many are still serving.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Even though the President has purged a lot of good officers from the active duty ranks, many are still serving.

Agreed that that would be ideal, but even if it happened, neither the police or the military are as unified as they once were on true constitutional protections. I believe we’d see cops shooting cops, and military shooting military, as much as we’d see them fighting the revolution. You could have multiple civil wars going on all at the same time in the same country. Gee! That sounds kind of like Syria, now that I think about it. Does that mean Russia will come over and help Obama stay in office – at least for now – by bombing his opposition (us?)? So then the US and Russia would be on the same side of a war, and on our turf, no less! Is this a weird time in which to live, or what?!? <weak grin>

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Why would he help Obama ? might suit his purpose better to help arm and train the rebels , like in Ukraine .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m with Tolik on this, Putin doesn’t like O.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I don’t think Assad suits their purposes either, long term. I suspect they’ll work to get rid of him if/when they can stabilize that country and help install the next useful dictator. Assad just serves a temporary purpose. Plus I think Vladimir “gets” it, after Iraq, Libya, and Egypt – they don’t need another disaster area with NO leadership where Syria is located. They learn their lessons, even if vicariously through the US’s stupidity (and this country WANTS our former Secretary of State to continue forming foreign policy?!?) Besides, if the Russians helped arm and train our rebels (us?), it wouldn’t be in their best interests. Now, if Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth (0.00005% Native American). Warren were leading the revolution, that might be in their best interests. But that would have to mean a Republican would have to win first, for them to be the “freedom fighters.” Plus, the libs would certainly need a lot of arming and training, seeing as how they’re so anti-gun and terrified by even a 1½ inch plastic Cracker Jack toy gun, or a hastily scribbled crayon drawing by a first grader on a piece of wide-lined writing paper!

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS, I personally think that in that part of the world they are all bad. Some more than others but all bad. That is the US stupidity, thinking that there are good ones there.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Actually, King Abdullah (Jordan) has been a pretty decent friend, as was his father before him, for many decades. I really feared what would happen when King Hussein died, but his son has really done a very decent job for that region, and for us as an ally – not perfect, and he’s got his own internal problems, but he’s a decent guy. Don’t forget a story like this back at the beginning of 2011: “On Tuesday, Jordan’s King Abdullah II fired his Cabinet and ordered a new prime minister to pursue political reforms to ‘correct the mistakes of the past’ after massive anti-government protests regionwide and smaller demonstrations at home.” And interestingly, one of his top government officials personally brought his own children to the US to attend a well known, private university in the US. Things aren’t perfect even there, but at least we’ve got Jordan and Israel still on our side if they have to choose up sides.

GS

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

A nation that is having a civil war , is no longer in a position to maintain external conflicts with any real expectation of winning . Putin understands this well , and why Russia lost WW1 . THe Soviet Union was in Afghanistan for a long time , they failed , and it turned out to be the straw that broke the camels back , and they collapsed . We are not doing any better , and its draining us just as bad . Trump is right , when he said that everybody that goes into that part of the world gets bogged down . I think the Romans had the better idea , and that did not change until the civil war with Antony/ Cleopatra . then it was officially taken over as a Roman Provence . Before that , Egypt was the bread basket of the ancient world , and was an independent , self ruling nation . The Romans had control of it , not by direct occupation , but by the THREAT of military force . Worked out well , Rome got its grain at a cheap price , and Egyptian rulers were able to keep their crowns . THey were free to do what they wished ………except piss off Rome . And if you look at it , the middle east was manageable for quite awhile , until external powers started getting directly involved by physically going over there . Even with the creation of Israel , it was still manageable , because outsider armies were not on their soil . Sure , either the US or the Soviets , sold them arms , but neither tried to occupy , when that changed , you see the mess we have today .

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I’m not convinced that the world’s “leaders” are worried that the earth will suddenly run out of oil within their lifetimes and/or terms of office. If anything, just like many of our domestic high-cost fracking operations, Putin’s temporarily sweating a worldwide glut (from Russia’s economic POV), since they can’t match the Arab competition at their cost of production. (Also, nobody ever ‘splained to me how those dinosaurs managed to get a mile or two under the oceans to decay into petroleum, which floats in sea water — but that’s a different discussion.)

Cooler heads than Zero’s don’t want the world to go up in flames, just now, and i think that includes even Putin and Xi. Do they want to hold on to power? Of course. Would they mind conquering us, if they thought they could do it? Not at all. Do they feel particularly froggy, right now? Probably not. I think they expect us to do ourselves in, given the kind of “leadership” we’ve been “electing,” and the way our national fortune has been falling, lately, and they’d rather wait, and haggle over the remains, than get all covered in radioactive dust. From my standpoint, both Putin and Xi played the “communist” game, when they needed to, but neither of them has tried to return to a textbook Marxist/Leninist/Stalinist/Maoist economic model.

They’ve evidently learned (by watching us, or by listening to Henry Kiss-of-Death?) that sheep-control can be maintained without slaughtering the whole flock, and you can sleep a whole lot easier when your “associates” are econo-weenies instead of bona fide torturers and assassins.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Excellent post, Tec. Nothing I’d even want to add to it – just wanted to say, “Amen.”

Had to LOL about the dinosaurs, though. Always wondered that myself – how those massive layers of decayed dinosaurs got way down there, and remained – under pressure – just waiting to be found by Jed Clampett, who fired some birdshot into the ground and up came a bubblin’ crude.

GS

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Jed Clampett LOL

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS is right about King Abdullah of Jordan. He is very Westernized having spent his formative years (grades 7 – 12) at a couple prep schools where I used to live. He maintained many friendships from his school days and has come back to visit when he could. He even started a school in Jordan modeled after the prep school he attended and hired away some of the staff to run it for him.

I don’t want to get us going on dinosaurs and oil deposits but over the eons continents have risen, fallen, moved, broken up, and merged. Basic plate tectonics. Parts of the ocean floor were once dry land and vice versa over spans of time we can hardly comprehend. That said, start a new thread if anyone wants to get into a dinosaur discussion. The prospect of WWIII is too serious a topic to get sidetracked.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

That said, start a new thread if anyone wants to get into a dinosaur discussion. The prospect of WWIII is too serious a topic to get sidetracked.

Sorry, MB. I just laughed when I read Tolik’s post, and was being a little light hearted. I do agree that we don’t need to see a side-track of this discussion. Thanks for keeping us on topic.

GS

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well either way , we have no control over it , I’m more worried about economic collapse and the rise of the Fascist state at home , than the idiot in chief pushing the button , even tho its a possibility . Given modern warfare , and the combined strength of our enemies , we will loose such a showdown . I dont believe we will ever be invaded by foreign militaries in combat action , for the same reason we cant invade Russia or China and hope to win , but rather we would most likely be isolated and contained . I dont think Europe will get involved at all , except for the UK , because of the situation there , and some have voiced that they would like to be free of US interference in their affairs . One has to remember the realities of getting things from point A to point B , in a timely manor and in enough strength to do any good . Even in modern day , invasions of countries the size of Russia , China , and the United States are not practical for all intents and purposes . We cant get enough over there , fast enough , to fight that kind of an enemy , they have the same problem . The EU’s internal strife , is going to make them have difficulty with doing a whole lot . Sure , we will get crap countries like Romania , and other worthless slivers of land on our side , but the big boys may choose another route , rather than have their countries devastated . Germany remembers the devastation of WW2 . Dont count on NATO , its a joke and always has been , it basically the US , when all is said and done . Given all of that , as a nobody citizen , my worries are strictly here at home , with the Fascist dictatorship looming overhead , waiting to let loose the Waffen SS .

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Perhaps WWIII will indeed be an asymmetrical war. With a cyber war, the radioactive dust will be minimized. Though I suspect that just like the nukes, the US, China and Russia have the capabilities to cyber nuke each other, there by creating another detent based on mutual assured destruction. Can anyone say, “Welcome to the dark ages.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.