Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Gardening, cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

MB, good points which is not surprising as you clearly have a good head on your shoulders.

Freedom, the $18 trillion debt is just the hard debt. There is another $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities (SS, Medicare, ETC) which is absolutely impossible to repay, at least not lawfully. That debt plus the pending replacement of the USD by another currency(s) will almost necessarily doom America. That is why I came here as Selco has some personal info that might save the lives of some of my family members that dreadful day when the SHTF.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Its not if , its when . Some good might actually come out of it in the long run , when people are forced to see the REAL enemy , it will force the US to mind its own business militarily , instead of being the first to eagerly drop our servicemen into some unwinable crap hole . We may actually be forced to respect the concept that other nations have the right to run things their own way . We may be forced to bring our industry back home , we may be forced to actually build working , reliable transportation infrastructure outside automobile dependance . We may be forced to give up the disposable mentality and make things to last . It will be painful and ugly , but long term , it may fix some problems that would otherwise be ignored .

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

A collapse is inevitable, not just in the US but all over the western world including here in the UK. the trouble is that most of the population is oblivious to it and if you bring up the subject we are called, mad, bad, sad, and just plain paranoid. even in the “prepper” community most are only preparing for minor inconveniences which are short term in length, no one (else) seems to have even thought about “the longer term” and what that means.

British Survivalist.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I hate to say it but it doesn’t matter arguing the if a collapse will happen.
    Its what kind of collapse.

The WROL collapse that some fantasize about, is unlikely with all of todays safeguards.

The long slow grind shown by zimbabwe and South Africa is the most likely, in part because of those same safeguards. Those same naysayers will keep the system going longer than one might expect, because that’s how life is done.

However much will depend upon where you are, people in Greece will experience a different collapse than a person in northern Idaho. Same for a person in Chicago versus Wyoming.

Look at England.
    Compare London and Liverpool to some of the northern areas.
    While the rural residents may notice a mass of shortages of goods and such, the same risks are not there.
    However note I didn’t say there are no threats, just different ones.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I disagree about WROL, it will come…eventually. I have always said SHTF wont be one big bang and everything gone, more likely to be a “domino” or “Cascade” effect, one thing affecting another which affects something else and so on. once the power goes off-no more fuel-no more deliveries to the shops that’s when it will really start.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

I agree with lonewolf, it will be a domino effect that will bring the human race to its knees.I’m of the opinion that it is not “if” or “whether” there will be a collapse, or even “when”. I believe the collapse has already started.

Take SA as an example, since 1994 we have had a “Democracy” and all people are supposedly equal, yet we now have more poverty than ever before, the government made promises they couldn’t ever dream of keeping and now the people are coming to take what the government promised but could never deliver.

We have a state owned electricity provider (Eskom), that can’t keep up with the country’s demand, we have actually lost power generating capabilities and now produce less than what we did in the 1990’s, equipment was never maintained and ran far past their abilities and all of this is now coming back to bite us in the behind through load-shedding. For crying out loud, we have load-shedding apps to download on our phones, to plan around the times spent in darkness.

The load shedding has already had a knock-on effect, as a while ago, one of Rand Water’s main plants went down, so no water for a part of Johannesburg, at least it was not to severe. Our water infrastructure is also falling apart and there are regular reports of pump stations having problems due to lack of maintenance.

If there were to be a national blackout, I believe it would be approx. two weeks before a total collapse and anarchy broke out and the only reason for that long is because the majority of businesses and warehouses have already invested in backup generators, including filling stations, so they would be able to run until no more fuel is available.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

WK, your last point could be used differently, those non-digital items are becoming collectable and will hold their value longer than something designed to wear out.

What’s a good wind up watch worth versus a casio digital?

Not bad! Thanks Whirli, I might just use that.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Watching tv last night we see stories of the collapse on cnbc. The show is called American Greed. Why do people invest with crooks? Because the system is helping the crooks fleece people. The concept of honesty has been abandoned for liquidity.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.