Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

I would be willing to bet that everyone here knows someone who absolutely refuses to believe that the so-called “mighty” american economy is heading towards an inevitable collapse. I know several who take that position so I have given up trying to convince them otherwise. For those looking for someway to convince doubters, perhaps the following will help you convince them.

A good friend of mine is a financial professional who has spent over 20 years working in international finance. He was the Treasurer of a Fortune 100 company on two continents, he worked for the World Bank, worked as CFO for a $billion commodities trading company, and holds an MBA to boot. He told me that he is absolutely convinced that our economy is going to collapse and there is NO way to prevent it.

So do what you want with this information, though I hope it may be sufficient to convince a loved on that we really do need to be prepared for what is coming. Consider it to be an insurance policy, one you hope you never have to use but one you realize is a necessity as you would be totally wiped out if the event covered occurs. In this case, it is more than one’s property that is at risk. It is one’s life and the lives of our loved ones which is something I refuse to put at risk, especially when I know there are ways to at the very least mitigate the risk so we would at least have a chance of surviving.

For those of us who believe in God, I recommend that we pray like everything depends upon GOd, and act like everything depends upon us. I do not believe that in any way diminishes the ability of God to intervene nor does it diminish our reliance on Him, for He said we are to be His hands and feet, so what better way to serve Him than to provide for our families?

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Ghost, most people can’t see the future being particularly different than the past. Normalcy bias. Those of us do see a different future world struggle to live in and enjoy life as it is today while trying to ready ourselves for a different tomorrow. This is why I moved where I did despite friends and family thinking I was crazy. It is why I have given over a lot of my time learning new things when honestly there were other things I’d of enjoyed more. Am I ready to be self-sufficient? No, but I am much more ready than I used to be and much more ready than most people. In-between time I do take time to enjoy life and pursue my non-prepping interests.

Will the economy collapse? It certainly is on an unsustainable path but I can’t say what path it will take. High inflation? Major depression? Total collapse and break down of civil order? All of the above in sequence or do we just jump straight to the total collapse? When we go, the rest of the world will go with us. It is all too interconnected. All the more reason to think about where you live, because moving may not be so easy to do when it happens.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think Europe may go first and take us down in about a week or just days after. The Euro is not held up by anything the dollar is by oil which will end too but the Euro will go first so keep your eyes open for what happens there.

This has only one way to go with the debt at more then $18 Trillion and the derivative debt that no one knows that number but some say it is $400 Trillion and some say it is $750 Trillion so whatever it is this will be a total collapse.

I live in the city which I can’t leave right now because of the kids and job. The only thing good is that Miami is a little different than cities up north. Outside of the downtown Miami it is all houses, not many condos around here. The condos are about 3 to 10 miles away and downtown Miami is about 15 to 20 miles. Still bad but I am not in the middle of a condo city.

A total collapse will be a war here even at my location so I hope we will make it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is a very good video update of were the economy is at.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Yes. There will be a collapse. The speed of the breakdown and how soon it occurs are the only questions in my mind.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

You ever try to force a kid to take bad tasting medicine?
    Much like that medicine, one just doesn’t force it down their throat.
    A little trickery, a little sugar coating, mixing it in with other things.

Don’t try to convince them of doom and gloom.
    Talk about job loss, setbacks from home appliances going kaput, go slow, you don’t teach someone to swim by tossing them in a riptide.

Collapse?
    Hard to say.
    Recession, depression, there are as many opinions and definitions as there are people. What is a catastrophic event to some is just a Monday morning to some.

Mystics and sages have long prophycized cataclysmic events with nothing to show for it but scorn and derision because they’re often wrong. Remember Y2K? The Mayans?

Plan and prep for what can happen, and you’re pretty well set for what might happen. I might lose my job, the highway can close for a couple weeks because of the weather, and the Yellowstone super volcano might blow its top. In all reality, which should I prep for?

Little steps, go easy on them, let them have that lightbulb moment on their own, it will have a better effect.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly, I think you should work on your flexibility. Can you bend over and kiss your ass goodbye? Because if Yellowstone goes off you won’t need to do anything else.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Exaxtly my point, nothing I can do about that, so why prep for it.
    But I can prep for extreme snows, unemployment and the like.
    Even Isis attacks.

But certain things are both beyond my control and beyond the scope of my ability to survive, so I don’t worry about them.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, If Yellowstone does go off no one knows how fast it will happen. Studies from the past eruptions show that it may take from 7 to 14 days for the total eruption. So there is some time to go somewhere else if you leave the minute you hear of an eruption. Also if you read the history of all of the eruptions you will find that each one was located in a different area miles away from each other. So it all depends were the eruption happens too.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Staying on topic…

Whirli you are right about the way to go about this. I am currently working on my girlfriend’s father. It is critical to me that I get him in the right mindset. He has the ear of his whole family, and he has financial resources.

I have so far slipped in the following, over the course of half a year:

– I keep $1,000 at home, “just in case my identity gets swiped and I need money while it gets sorted out.”
    – I never let my gas tank go below half, “just in case I need to take a loved one to the Emergency Room.”
    – I don’t think it’s a good idea to invest in things that are digital or collectibles, “in the event of a downturn, they won’t have as much value.”

Technically that last one wasn’t really disguised, but it was sugar coated enough that he didn’t seem to think it “weird.” The best part is that my cover stories aren’t just cover stories.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

WK, your last point could be used differently, those non-digital items are becoming collectable and will hold their value longer than something designed to wear out.

What’s a good wind up watch worth versus a casio digital?

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good approach WhiteKnight. I more or less have given up trying to convince anyone to prep.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I think most of us agree that the path we are on is unsustainable. We don’t know when or how bad it will be. The only thing I can take comfort in is that I have prepared to the best of my abilities to date, try to get better every day, and know that my family is better prepared than most should some SHTF event happen.

Like many of you, I have given up on trying to convince anyone to prep. I have always done it gently, but if they can’t see it, I can’t do it for them.

Actually had one guy make fun of my garden. Said, “That’s why we have Kroger’s. Why waste your time planting you own stuff?” Just smiled and kept on checking the tomato plants. Really bright guy, but will not even notice the SHTF when it happens. Situational awareness absolutely nonexistent.

I wonder how many people like him are out there?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roadracer, He will be the first one at your house when the SHTF looking for your tomatoes!

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Roadracer, I think most of us have encountered similar folks who just can’t connect the dots. No point in wasting your time trying to convince him of anything. Come a collapse, that guy will come running your way for sure and even then he will be absolutely convinced that nobody could have seen it coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.