Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If I were to come across bodies in this condition it would encourage me to hunt the mad f..k who was responsible an drop a big f..king bomb on his head.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

I’m building up to 400 days worth of food for myself and the dogs.  This will require 40 cases of Mtn House @1-3 cases per month over 2 yrs., 20 large bags of dog food (1 extra bag per month), rotate through the dog food.  I’m also going to build sustainable water (manual water well) and a garden of sorts. I can grow some veggies (not enough) but the main problem is what to do when the protein runs out ?  My current plan is to build up my barterables (weapons and ammo).  I’m looking into fruit trees, maybe 6 or so (already have 3 walnut trees)

Big Bears Don't Tree

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

SharpDog,

I would have a mind as to what you trade. Weapons and ammo as trade? Erm… ain’t telling you your business, because your business is your own, but if you trade off weapons and ammo to “allies” one day, maybe a year later they ain’t your allies anymore… and you might find that ammo coming back your way (if you get my drift)…

Just throwing that out there… everything else sounds like you’re rockin out loud. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, I do understand you. If I was you which is what I would do my self is all that I kill to defend my family I will bury and put a sign on it saying this is what will happen if you enter my area. That will make them think.

There will be some gang member that do not care what you do, they will go anyway. I think God will be OK with this, you buried them.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

well, there’s not much you can store that folks will want as much as food except water.  Anything of value I have I’ll have to defend.  It’s not like everyone won’t have weapons and ammo anyways.  I have about 25% each of center-fire pistol, center-fire rifle, .22lr and .22 and .25 cal pellets.  Any hunting I would do would be with the pellets for stealth purposes (I have a high quality pellet set-up).  I was thinking to trade the .22lr.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974 – Thank you – that I could do.Maybe I need to make the signs now – have them handy. Or, have some Halloween type hands/body parts on hand to have coming out of a fake burial mound!

Profile photo of CrankyOldFart
    CrankyOldFart
    Survivalist
    member1

Don’t think rural areas in the USA are going to fare much better. Most of our food comes from mega farms in the mid-west, the California central valley, and places like that. Most rural areas, at least east of the Mississippi river, though more spread out than urban areas, are still quite populated.

I live in a small town in rural Northeastern Vermont. If we were cut off from re-supply by a major SHTF situation, the food would hold out longer than an urban area, but not that much longer. The small farms dotting the landscape would quickly run dry. Most people in rural areas do the same kinds of jobs as urban populations, still get most of their food and dry goods shipped in from far away, and shop at Amazon.com and Walmart.

Hunting and fishing would quickly deplete the available game. After that, what you would have is a lot of hungry people, a large percentage of which have a hunting rifle and a few boxes of ammo. And as Selco points out in his “Blending in and Survivalist Hate” post, they will not be very friendly.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

CrankyOldFart, You are right on this, many in the farmlands are not ready for a SHTF and would hit the ones that are since what they all have is guns. So the rural areas will start just like the cities three to four weeks into a SHTF. The farmers that make it though that will then face the gangs and criminals that get out of all the federal prisons. The Cities will be out of food so many will be going to the rural areas.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Location, Location, Location” – Another factor in deciding on a BOL is the surrounding neighbors. It is impossible to get everything as we want it for our BOL but we have to settle for the best of what is available. For sure you do not want your BOL to appear as an oasis to others.
    Don’t make assumptions.
    Robin

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

What you want to give the impression of is a well armed mean old crazy person or family with nothing to steal. What you don’t want to look like is a rich soft suburbanite, soccer mom, etc.Thing is, if you survive long enough, say more than a month, someone will figure out you have supplies. Even so, OPSEC and vigilance will be key.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

SharpDog, if you survive the first 30 to 60 days then it doesn’t matter what you look like anymore everyone that has survived will think you have food and ammo. So everyone need to be on the look out then. Have a plan and shoot first and ask latter.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

There are two stories in Selco’s course that hit this subject on the head:
    One story is of a man Selco knew that lived in a multi-storied building. All the lower floors were trashed. Following the guy Selco was led through a serpents trail to get up to the floor where the guy lived.
    Second story about a family that lived in an apartment. They trashed the front part of the apartment to make folks think the place was not worth the time.
    Robin

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Survivalist
    member1

Hello all. New to the forum but am up to speed. I agree with Maltus (hope I spelled that correctly). Everyone with any kind of family or home to hold will require a tribe. We will need the help of some good neighbors. And in planning your defense, be sure you have the firing lanes worked out in advance. In the event of an alert, every adult and big kid must know their responsibilities. Everyone must hurry to their assigned post, and their duties might vary, depending on the alert. Does your lookout detect 3 armed men approaching? A dozen? A small family with a cart? Practice your defense constantly. Place watchmen on the perimeter. Try go gain the element of surprise and overwhelming force. Watch your rear and flanks and expect the main thrust to come from one of those.

Also bear in mind that your positions and training might have been scouted out in advance by bad actors. A former tribe member might have sold you out, or even a current tribe member. Layer your defense and be creative. Remember to have one or more snipers in strategic locations, and teach them how to get to secondary firing positions without being observed by your attackers. How many of you have 2-way hand-held ham radios? How many of those radios are currently stored in a Faraday cage? Buy them cheap on Amazon, along with an adequate solar charger. Comm is vital.

Are you prepared to successfully engage an armed group in the dark? In the rain? Both? I expect most assaults against lightly fortified positions to occur in the wee hours of the morning. Personally, I prefer to strike around 4AM in the rain. Rain is an attackers friend, but unfortunately we cannot always have rain come with us.

Final note: dogs make good eating. Cats, too. And both breed quickly so if you don’t have a cow or sheep or goats or rabbits, find yourself some ******* and breed them as fast as they go into heat.

God foretold of these days, and the USA just might be the “Mystery Babylon” that collapses “in one hour” as specified in the Holy Bible. I expect sudden, catastrophic calamity on the USA, so I prepare for that. Pray for wisdom and understanding.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

JD,

It’s “Malgus”… but close enough. :)

My namesake’s image is included below.

Us creaky old vets still have a few good miles left in us… experience and treachery will beat youth and strength every time. All the dirty assed “unfair” tricks we know will be passed on to others in the hopes that what we know will save lives. You can’t plan for everything, but you can make it so untenable for the Bad Guys that they move on down the road…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I told my troops: I may have taught you every thing you know but I did not teach you every thing I know.
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.