Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

To freedom,

What a great American you are! You are what our country was founded upon; good people with good values, who loved freedom and were willing to risk their very lives to obtain the freedom they did not have in their home country.  I wish I had a hundred of you and your Cuban immigrees here with me as I would feel much safer. Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos de America!!!

Tu hermano de libertad!Miguel

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

freedom,

The problem I see with a city is that once all the resources have been consumed (food, water, etc) they will not be replaced due to the lack of transportation along with the lack of any currency to pay for anything. That is a prime reason I am leaning towards the country, for even though I agree that gangs will search for food wherever they can, without gasoline they can’t travel, and without food and water, they can’t function. Both of those will be gone in a matter of days once the SHTF, so they will essentially only be able to move as far as they can walk.  Moving on foot, they will be under constant fire as those in the country are almost all armed and not afraid to defend what is theirs. So, if one were to be 100 miles or so from any major city, what chance would a gang of 50, or 25, or 10 have of walking 100 miles through heavily defended territory and expect to come out alive? Then, when they got to 100 miles, they would have to face well entrenched, well armed people who are prepared and will be warned in advance that a raiding party is coming. That does not sound like a gang I want to be a part of.

No, I will take my chances in the country with many like minded, determined individuals who are defending everything they have in life.

Am I missing something?

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

freedom,

I totally agree with you about the shoot first then ask questions later.  When the SHTF, that will be the only way one can have any hope of surviving.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost Prime, Only say is that it depends on many factors. Will the SHTF be an EMP? Yes you are right they will have a hard time going to the country. But if it is an economical collapse then it is a problem because it will not matter if the gas stations are open or not. The gangs will steal cars with gas and take the gas out of the tanks, they may steal gas trucks full of gas. They will find many ways to get to the country farms. They will come in like armies with 10 to 50 cars and trucks armed with weapons we have not seen.

You will have warning but can you stop these killers because they are killers today already so the are harden killers already.

Also one thing that many forget is that many of the federal prisons are not located in the cities and you know that when an SHTF those prisons are going to get over run and the guards are not going to wait around to see what happens. So you will get many hard core criminals going the the farm land because they do not want to go to the cities were they know there is no food and no water.

So I see no real safe place. Numbers is the name of this game. You need a good amount of good people to protect the area 24/7 when the SHTF.

Also which city are you talking about 50 gang members? If it is Chicago you are talking about thousands of gang members. So it depends what city is 100 miles from you and how big is that city and also is there a federal prison closer then 100 miles from you. Big questions? It all depends on what type of SHTF.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There will be hords of people leaving the cities in every mode of transportation possible.  The suburban areas will not be ready for the swarms of looters and a defensible position will be rare. On the Northeast coast of the US there are no areas far enough away to be safe from drifters.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

We have local gangs with members over the thousand mark, with military  grade weapons explosives and now training. Add to this  body armor and armored vehicles…. unless fighting a military unit  they will roll over them like a speed bump.

in town will not be a safe place if they spot you or worse hear you defending your place  let the others soften you  then  finish you.

You also have the  police and government who will come looking  to “liberate” your supplies under emergency management to distribute to the needy…. what will you do?

we have  prisons near  my area (within 200 km) minimum of 1000 each each are at least 50% gang units.

Even though gangs are not the people i choose to spend time with i still know who and where they are as well as  some hierarchy you never know when you may have to negotiate. These are all reasons why  moving permanently to BOL soon. I doubt they will make it that far and if they do it wont be in numbers they have now.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Anyone see “The Colony” Season 1 (Discovery 2009)?  They made two different engines (one generator, one diesel truck) run off of syngas provided by a gasifier from heated wood.  Also in “The Road” the bad guys that came out the tunnel looked like they were driving a similar vehicle.  And this is after the normal fuel sources are dispersed which may still take some considerable time.  Ingenuity will result in differing modes of transportation which the gangs will then steal.  Unless you’re in the vast reaches of a huge area and away from roads (hiked in, ATV, snow machine, horseback) you’ll probably eventually be found by someone.  Desperation will probably send all people far and wide in search of food.

Namelus – to avoid (or try to) anyone “liberating” your preps one idea is to set up “decoy preps” that you’re using at the time.  Move small amounts of preps from your hidden locations to the decoy site and then when they come in and find it they’ll think that’s all you have – remember, 97% will only have the minimums so unless they have a reason to keep looking, they’ll believe that’s all you have.  Probably a good idea to keep preps separate if possible so if one is found, not all is lost.

Agree with the gang getting military grade gear – as can anyone else at the nearest National Guard post or other if it’s overrun or abandoned.  No doubt even some military members will trade gear and/or vehicles for necessities if a last resort.

Good idea on getting to know the heirarchy and some information about local gangs just in case.  With all but the most secluded areas, everyone will eventually have to deal with unsavory characters – sometimes whether you want to or not.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Gents and ladies, we may be looking too deep into this one.

Much is going to depend on the nature of the situation.

EMP, natural disasters,  war, they all create a different answer to the where is better question.

Everybody seems to think they can high tail it into the woods, mountains, boonies, etc., and make a go of it, these are called refugees. No home, no future. Sorry but not a good option for most.

Again its gonna depend on the situation.  Ever try to hide from a FLIR unit?  At least in the city, there are other bodies to confuse and distort the results.

It also depends on where you are. You may be able to gain mutual assistance easier when you are all in the same boat.

Looking at all the possibilities,  Katrina, Bosnia,  Argentina,  etc., again, there is no simple answer.

Is it WROL? Is it economic?  Is it food shortages?  All have different answers yet are SHTF situations.

No matter your choice, good luck.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

There will be hords of people leaving the cities in every mode of transportation possible. The suburban areas will not be ready for the swarms of looters and a defensible position will be rare. On the Northeast coast of the US there are no areas far enough away to be safe from drifters.

Like you said, I believe there will be bad, worse and worst and all things in between. A “good” place is a hidden underground bunker stocked with food but Im not sure if I would even like to live like that. I think the only thing that is for sure is that the rich neighborhoods will be the worst place to be because that’s immediately where all the looters want to go to.

Everybody seems to think they can high tail it into the woods, mountains, boonies, etc., and make a go of it, these are called refugees. No home, no future. Sorry but not a good option for most.

Absolutely agree. I think a lot of preppers and survivalists are very naive when they build their INCH (“I’m never coming home”) bags or bug out bags and feel good about themselves or have even a BOL but never really lived there.

That’s why I believe like Namelus, it makes sense to move to your BOL if you enjoy the simple life anyway.

Even though gangs are not the people i choose to spend time with i still know who and where they are as well as  some hierarchy you never know when you may have to negotiate. These are all reasons why  moving permanently to BOL soon. I doubt they will make it that far and if they do it wont be in numbers they have now.

In my case, I wanted to live more surrounded by nature anyway, so Im not doing this just because our system is going to collapse sooner or later. Moving to a BOL is of course much harder for many people, depending on their job, their family situation and so on.

There are no easy answers. I think everyone just has to first imagine their “perfect BOL” and then try to take steps to live there. If I would be very attached and fond of city life, Im not sure if I would move to a BOL if this would mean I feel bored and isolated somewhere in the woods just because the collapse is looming on the horizon.

I like your perspective Whirlibird, imagine there is just a slow economic collapse (like whats happening now) and you give up a well paying job to move to the woods and you put yourself into a much worse situation because you believe there will be an EMP or civil war.

Prepping should be really aligned with what you want in your life and not just focus on what you try to avoid or you can’t move towards your goals but keep running away of something that might happen like you think it does.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Great discussion here. It is clear that there will be very few places that will be safe from the many threats that will arise.  It seems to me that being far from a city will offer one of the best opportunities to survive, though even in the country, I acknowledge there will be threats. So we come back to my theory which is the more weapons one has pointing downrange, the more likely it will be for a group to survive.  Even if a well armed gang finds a well armed group, doesn’t it make sense that they would rather bypass that target for a target that is more lightly defended?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is matter of how much they can gain and how much the can loose because that.
    So, first they gonna go to the easy to get and more valuable targets. Best combination of defense is not to give them reason for attacking, and when they finally attack then show them that it is gonna cost them a lot.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

As a general rule the more gunfighters the better no question about it. What if you have the goods, the light weights don’t have anything worth stealing and your opponent knows it.

Against an aggressive trained opponent I could foresee events/tactics that would mitigate a numerical advantage. Like exploding ordnance and multiple coordinated attacks, infiltration through the defense perimeter. Lack of training and poor coordination of responses. No com’s. Long range sniper fire combined with infiltration. Fire bombs. Opponents with night vision. Just to name a few.

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

So I hear the tribe concept offers perhaps the best available approach to building a survival BOL. Even more, the idea of having multiple tribes in a confederation with a mutual defense agreement makes a great deal of sense as it will not make a major target for gangs/marauders, but it will offer the ability to come together in force to defend against a sizable, well armed force of marauders.  10 tribes of 20 to 40 people in relatively close proximity to each other would make a formidable defense. Of course having the group well organized with good comms would be mission critical as the group would have to have to ability to respond to threats rapidly.

Extending this concept even further, is it not possible to build an alliance of 10 confederations comprised of 10 tribes each who will defend each other simply out of the need for self-preservation? Yes it would take time to forge such an alliance but it would be extremely valuable as it would allow for several thousand armed citizens to be fielded simultaneously, which of course would be a force to reckon with.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Starting point is to have strong group with close connected members. You call it tribe. In my case, from my experience that “Tribe” is best to be made from blood relatives. Of course if that is not possible it can be made from close and good friends, but it is process that take time.

Alliances between groups or tribes like you mentioned it are possible,I mentioned alliances in order to make street security and similar, but that was very loosely, and based on circumstances.

Everything is possible to consider once when you have good organized group.

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Selco, thank you for your reply. It is encouraging to hear that you agree as it gives me hope.  Of course it also means a lot of work but considering that our lives will be at risk, the work is well worth it.  God Bless you Sir.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.