Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

To All,

Lots of good info, thanks. One recurring theme is water, but I find it interesting that no one is talking about the sewer issue.  Raw sewage spread by rains and floods has in times of past crisis, led to cholera and dysentery to say the least, both of which can be fatal.  Here again it seems to me that a BOL far from a city offers the best opportunity to avoid the problem of being exposed to raw sewage, though it is still an issue but simply by having fewer people per square mile, the problem should be of a lower magnitude than in the cities. Also, people in the country commonly have septic systems now which again provides protection from diseases.

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My house is on septic system and it is in the city. Miami, Florida is 50% septic system and the city of Coral Gables were I live is 95% septic.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost,

Sewers are a water volume issue. 1.5 gallons per flush (more or more) If you have ample water, even if it is not potable you can pour the down the toilet.

If you don’t have a sewer system in any form, or a lack of water for any reason, you then must adapt to alternatives.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

*Edit by Admin: Sorry we cant have this sort of link here…

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>
    there is no safe place.

I am still unpleasantly surprised with apparent density of population in coastal FL. Miami is terrible from what I have shortly seen (no wonder, “they” where practicing with military helicopters shooting above the city streets some time ago?).

Do you imply Latinos are lousy fighters? I am afraid of them the most, the other “diversity group” indeed will be easy to disperse with few of their heads on spikes above the fence (no offense implied to anybody at all reading this).

Did you stock up with DEET sprays for 20 people as well, beside your food and ammo? This place is rotten, not meant for regular people to live in absence of electricity and safe running water (yes, plenty of rainfall, try to disinfect that routinely).

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

robin Do you remember what happened when crowds got desperate  when they knew the aid convoy did not have enough supplies…  things they did not show on the media  things that will haunt those who where there. Those where tough people seasoned by hardship….. come to our culture of entitled to entitlements and  you think it wont be way worse add  the militarized police who beat and kill for no reason and give them one, and see what happens.

The problem with urban in my book  is you can never have enough defenders and land to provide the food necessary for long term survival and maintain perimeter security. In a City military bases will be over run when things get bad no way a small inner city group could  take the learning curve losses, emotional  damage and maintain all that it has to.

I and my group have been talking working together for years now and still slowly growing this year we move to BOL and commute only for work, with  meeting points and strategy of how we all can get back  and still have base defended. We are hoping slow burn but really dont know which disaster will befall us just KNOW there is no way for us to avoid them all.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Another point on sewers is that I understand that they depend on power to run the pumps that move the liquid to the treatment plants. Once the power goes, the sewers back up, followed by disease.  There does not seem to be a way around that in the city.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

So much depends on what SHTF scenario occurs in my humble opinion, don’t forget SHTF is not TEOTWAWKI. Selco talks of surviving in an urban enviroment, so does Ferfal although if you have read what Ferfal had to say things could at time be much worse in rural area’s with home invasions and such.

When things get tough in the city it’s not just the prepared and the afraid who will leave the cities, the gangs will also looking for easier pickings. We see it over here now, we have commuter criminals stealing farm equipment, deisel fuel, live stock and poaching game.

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“robin Do you remember what happened when crowds got desperate  when they knew the aid convoy did not have enough supplies…  things they did not show on the media  things that will haunt those who where there” Namelus – I am a prepper because of that.  The problems in Somalia started with drought. Large portions of America are experiencing problems with water. Texas sued Oklahoma over water. Water and food are two things a person can not live without.

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Vadim wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>
    there is no safe place.

I am still unpleasantly surprised with apparent density of population in coastal FL. Miami is terrible from what I have shortly seen (no wonder, “they” where practicing with military helicopters shooting above the city streets some time ago?). Vadim it was funny the way they did that military shooting above! Do they think that the people will not be shooting back! Everyone I know here has an AR 15 or some type of .308, 30-30. Helicopters do go down.

Do you imply Latinos are lousy fighters? I am afraid of them the most, the other “diversity group” indeed will be easy to disperse with few of their heads on spikes above the fence (no offense implied to anybody at all reading this). Vadim, All Latinos are not the same. I do know that the Cubans are armed well. When I go to the range there all there and many are Attorneys and Doctors or business owners and the weapons they own make my weapon look cheap. They go to the range and shoot 1,000 round of .223 when the round was $1 each.

Now some of the other Latins here I am not sure how good they will do. We have a lot of South and Central Americans here, but many do not know what Communism is. We Cubans DO! There are not many Mexicans here. Now you have forgotten that in the South Beach area and up the coast is full of Russian business man with there families too. But this area has changed were now there is Europeans, Canadians, and many Jews in the beach areas.

Did you stock up with DEET sprays for 20 people as well, beside your food and ammo? This place is rotten, not meant for regular people to live in absence of electricity and safe running water (yes, plenty of rainfall, try to disinfect that routinely). I have never used DEET, my wife may need it but bugs run from me. I eat them alive. I lived though hurricane Andrews and can tell you that it was bad but I think in a SHTF it will be bad were ever you are.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

One thing is that Miami is full of South Americans that are not to good with a gun so they will not do good with the gangs.

That gave me a bittersweet smile. Stay safe. We might have a few more years even before SHTF, do you have any relocation plans for the future?

Bottom line is you have to tribe up with others.

This is something that is way too often forgotten. Personally I do not worry much about my preps (the physical side of things and having the right equipment) I will get them simply by living on our little farm, but becoming a part of the local “tribe”, the local community is the much bigger challenge.

When you look at your potential survival group you will also want a group that is a bit structured with people that can endure some stress and get down and dirty if they have to. This is a lot to ask from “civilized” people these days who have soft hands and feet because they rarely use anything besides a keyboard to get things done.

And even if all this works out, like Selco used to say, then the old guy comes with his ancient rifle and shoots you in the back for a can of food. Game over. This is how complicated survival is and no matter how well you prep can always happen to everyone (unless you completely seal yourself in with preps for 10 years of course).

In my opinion, survival in a city is possible but it is a lot harder and something I would probably only be able to accept for a very short time. The ideal scenario for me is with my tribe, surrounded by other friendly tribes who all stick together and form alliances in an area where we can grow and produce enough food to sustain ourselves.

Even if no collapse would come, I would enjoy this for many other reasons as well.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay, If I have to relocate it maybe to Key West were my sister lives. Live off the fishing.

But I am not running there till I have to.

I am happy I gave you a smile. We Cubans do not want to go run any were anymore. We left our Country because of Communism and because Castro had all of us turn in our guns. This will not happen to us again!

We will be side by side with our American brothers to the end! Many of us say that we are not Cuban-American but American-Cuban. American is first to me! I do believe if I have to die that I will die free and for freedom.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have always wondered about the realities of this myself …………………..I have no answers as of yet .

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks WhiteKnight.

About urban vs. rural, yes I agree that it may be different because different scenarios. Ferfal speaks about economic chaos as I understand, law is still there (some kind) but it is simply not enough to “cover” everything.
    So it looks like it is easier maybe to live in city where that law is still able to make some difference then in rural settings “far” from the system, unsecured.

My experience was more of the complete absence of the system (or wrong one was there)
    I still prefer to be in rural settings when SHTF, together with group of good folks, well prepared and skilled, far away from urban centers.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Vadim wrote:</div>
    *Edit by Admin: Sorry we cant have this sort of link here…

No, I am sorry, I was under lasting impression of Selco’s post :-)))

I love books and know how to search for them, use them as if borrowing them from a “remote library” and delete them, occasionally buy them too as a physical copy (if I really like them).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.