Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, agree that it is hard to tell by just looking at them, they may say the same by looking at me. But I do think that after 30 days in the cities the amount of people not making it will be more then 50% maybe as high as 75%. So the first 30 days will be very bad then after that you have to deal with harden survivalist or preppers that may not come out of there homes for 60 to 120 days since they have the food to survive.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, the judge is 100% right, he better learn some skills.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Robin wrote:</div>One of the folks in my group is a judge in our local town. He is learning to be a mechanic. Says there are no uses for a lawyer/judge after SHTF.<br>
    Robin

Judges we may need, to help make decisions and judgements when the parties agree.

But lawyers, we will not need.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Being a lawyer should be a crime post shtf.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

74, I can’t say that just being a lawyer post- SHTF should be a crime, though I am absolutely certain that NO lawyer should be allowed to hold any elected office as that was the intention of the Founders,

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Being a lawyer should be a crime post shtf.

:)
    We also have lawyer in our group, he is learning lot of stuff, his lawyer skills alone are definitely not enough for what we expecting to happen.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Most modern day careers will be useless come TEOTWAWKI. I’m recently retired from being Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer where I worked. That is of no value whatsoever in a post-modern world. My having some experience gardening and canning and having some hearth cooking skills is useful however. I was was well compensated in my career. That’s meaningless after the SHTF but being fit and healthy enables me to handle some of the physical rigor that we’ll all face after the lights go out. Beyond specific skills acquired on or off the job, there is also the matter of personality type. Can you handle stress? Think logically? Do you have the good listening and negotiating skills to be an effective communicator? Do you play well with others so as to be able to function within a group?

As an aside, the first time I was typing this response we lost power, just briefly,but being it is a beautiful day ….no rain or wind…. it doesn’t take long to have the oh crap is something happening moment, and then the internet didn’t immediately come back when the computer came on again, further adding to “is something happening”. Not a good feeling.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    Moving your comments to a new thread.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks 74. Sorry for the thread drift.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

MountainBiker wrote:
    Most modern day careers will be useless come TEOTWAWKI. I’m recently retired from being Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer where I worked. That is of no value whatsoever in a post-modern world. My having some experience gardening and canning and having some hearth cooking skills is useful however. I was was well compensated in my career. That’s meaningless after the SHTF but being fit and healthy enables me to handle some of the physical rigor that we’ll all face after the lights go out. Beyond specific skills acquired on or off the job, there is also the matter of personality type. Can you handle stress? Think logically? Do you have the good listening and negotiating skills to be an effective communicator? Do you play well with others so as to be able to function within a group?

Management “skills” in a business environment will boil down to very little use, I agree, but organizational SKILLS will be very useful.

I was born to be what I am, with experience and skills in the electrical field. 3rd generation! But all of that will be for naught unless I survive. I guess I need to sign for Selco’s Course, are there some good rifle drills and such in there? I was a Boy Scout, well on my way to Eagle but our troop moved (twice!) and my records were lost. But I still learned lots of useful things. Time for more learning…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>oldfatguy wrote:</div>Anselm–and interested parties here–if you’re concerned about weapons stashes being found, you might consider MIG welding over the serial numbers. Right now, because those numbers are stamped into the weapon, the Feds can determine those numbers because of changes in the steel at a molecular level BECAUSE of the compression of the steel as a result of stamping. Welding also changes the steel’s molecular structure, making it impossible to determine the serial number of the weapon, hence the ability to trace itr from mfr to end user…

I don’t have such a stash, but I do weld. Sounds like a great idea.

By the way, have you seen the MultiPlaz? Check http://www.multiplaz.com. It uses no shielding gases, just water & alcohol plus electricity. It is one great Russian invention.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Anselm:
    So is the AK47, now banned by “O”

That is a neat link, when I saw the name, I was thinking plasma cutter, but it is so much more!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>oldfatguy wrote:<br>
    Not true. I’ll teach anyone anything I know that they do not. Life has taught me that it’s better to be owed a favor, or friendship than money or other “currency”

I have to agree with Mountainbiker, I think you will be over whelmed with the number of students and other people trying to take advantage of you in a SHTF. In normal times the encounters are much fewer, tamer and the needs of the unskilled are not as great.

To clarify things–I really AM an old fatguy. Not THAT fat, but I have some health issues, and lack the speed and strength I once had. My value to others would be minimal EXCEPT for the things I actually know from having done them. Not that I lived the life that Selco has, but I have had to survive by trapping pigeons and other birds for protein when times were truly hard. I have had GREAT success fishing when others were skunked–it’s strategy AND bait and special-purpose tackle.

I HAVE tanned animal hides into useful leather including fur outerwear, I have studied empty-handed combat beyond traditional martial arts, and even at my age, don’t fear walking in the dark. I CAN shoot–particularly with a handgun, hitting targets as distant as 200 yards (thanks to the teachings of Elmer Keith in his many books and articles), I can reload ammo, and a little gunsmithing–used to buy blown up antique Colts, Winchesters and Marlins and rebuild them into shooters; I can make moonshine, and not just from corn or horsefeed, I can make wine. Am working now on beer. I can make jerky without an oven or electricity, I can smoke any kind of game, I can track any animal. I can perform many repairs on older 50’s-70’s vehicles, SOME later models.

I can work leather, making belts, holsters, jackets,etc. I can weld and make ornamental iron security door and window grilles as well as heavy fabrication. It took me a lifetime to learn all of this, and in a SHTF scenario, none of the young gamers are going to have the time to learn any of these potentially useful skills on their own…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

OFG,
    I don’t diagree with you philosophically, only the practicality of trying to do it post SHTF. Open the Fat Old Man School now so you have time to make all those favors come to fruition.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

OFG – how many times have you run across a wall hanger that has no serial numbers? Friend has one, Colt wheel gun, that is chromed and pearl inlays. Never seen or heard of one like that!
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.