Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

How gangs operate in a SHTF environment was one. How starving people manage to live one day more is another. How life itself can boil down to simple things like water and food. What a family will do to stay together. How combat veterans will go out of their way to avoid hurting the innocent. How simple things like hard candy will bring smiles even to the ones with the hard hearts.
    Anselm, I worked with (kinda) Saudi’s before. Well, not actually work with them because they did no labor. The Saudi’s will hire someone to do everything for them.
    I was very fortunate to work for a great Marine, General Anthony Zinni. He truly cared for the people of Somalia. He went as far as putting a reserve Marine back to active duty. The Marine was a Lt. in the Los Angels Sheriff’s Office. He was one of the early supporters of non-lethal force. General Zinni brought him onboard to help with the crowd control of the people of Somalia. At one time we put concertina wire on the vehicles to keep people from climbing on everything. Another thing was to wire batteries to the skin of the vehicles.
    The biggest impact on me was just how the poorest nation on the face of the earth could contain so many decent people. They were just trying to survive another day.
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Anselm wrote:

However, they can be taught. If SHTF for real, I think they can be instructed. They just haven’t needed it up to now.

Yes most people can be taught but those with skills aren’t going to bother in a SHTF scenario unless it is going to benefit those who already have skills. Said another way, everyone has to have something to offer. If you are young, strong, and healthy, but unskilled, the skilled folks may have a use for you. Not so much for the not-young, not-strong, and not-healthy.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Robin:

IMO we may end up with more varied and smaller “warlords” if the U$A has a similar SHTF scenario. One with less tyranny from the F’ed Govt. level, and more chaos on the streets. I suspect it will go out into the suburbs and even the rural areas, unless the ‘prepped folks’ are common enough to stay independent.

I hope the county Sheriff’s Dept. remains a strong unit, as they are the only true “constitutional” peace officers, and sworn to uphold it.
    I do support my Local Sheriff, as we all should!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond, you are right that we really do not know what will happen but I can see a scenario with smaller warlords, some maybe better then others.

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Underground lol, hopefully foot in mouth disease is not in any way contagious.

But it IS contagious, that’s how the illegals got it…

oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>Anselm wrote:

However, they can be taught. If SHTF for real, I think they can be instructed. They just haven’t needed it up to now.

Yes most people can be taught but those with skills aren’t going to bother in a SHTF scenario unless it is going to benefit those who already have skills. Said another way, everyone has to have something to offer. If you are young, strong, and healthy, but unskilled, the skilled folks may have a use for you. Not so much for the not-young, not-strong, and not-healthy.

Not true. I’ll teach anyone anything I know that they do not. Life has taught me that it’s better to be owed a favor, or friendship than money or other “currency”…

oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>There were a lot of things to learn on this web page but not much on Is Survival in an Urban Setting even Possible.

So I am not someone that likes to point things out but this post has been going off topic!

Actually, the title of this blog is : “Is survival in an urban setting even possible?” Most here (not all) seem to not believe that it is. I’m on the fence, but believe that the farther one is from the welfare zombies on the day the EBT cards bounce, the better…

oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

Anselm–and interested parties here–if you’re concerned about weapons stashes being found, you might consider MIG welding over the serial numbers. Right now, because those numbers are stamped into the weapon, the Feds can determine those numbers because of changes in the steel at a molecular level BECAUSE of the compression of the steel as a result of stamping. Welding also changes the steel’s molecular structure, making it impossible to determine the serial number of the weapon, hence the ability to trace itr from mfr to end user…

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>oldfatguy wrote:</div>Anselm–and interested parties here–if you’re concerned about weapons stashes being found, you might consider MIG welding over the serial numbers. Right now, because those numbers are stamped into the weapon, the Feds can determine those numbers because of changes in the steel at a molecular level BECAUSE of the compression of the steel as a result of stamping. Welding also changes the steel’s molecular structure, making it impossible to determine the serial number of the weapon, hence the ability to trace itr from mfr to end user…

This I can verify. I worked with the iron workers for a year, and a few times we had to work with obscured, but stamped in numbers and letters. Under the stamping there is a distinct area which may be more clear than the surface! You just gotta get under the obfuscation…
    Welding will melt below the surface and destroy the pattern, if you get good penetration. I would not recommend welding Zamak (Hi Point and others use this).

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

oldfatguy,
    “I’m on the fence, but believe that the farther one is from the welfare zombies on the day the EBT cards bounce, the better…”

You are right on the EBT cards but the problem is these zombies are everywhere not just the cities. Yes there is more of them in the cities but it is growing by the day.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

oldfatguy wrote:

Not true. I’ll teach anyone anything I know that they do not. Life has taught me that it’s better to be owed a favor, or friendship than money or other “currency”

That would be wonderful if it could work out that way, and my nature is to do it that way too, but I don’t think it is realistic in a SHTF scenario. If 90% of the people around you are unskilled, and if you are needing to tend to your own survival, you are going to pick and choose who you give effort over to based on whether they will be of help to you and your group.

Part of my reaction comes from my bringing my wife to a doctor’s appointment yesterday. It was in a mid-sized city down in MA in a large building full of doctor’s offices directly across the street from a large hospital. I am rarely ever in a city and so I sat on a bench people watching while she had her appointment. I assume most of the people I was seeing were from the city. It was an odd circumstance that had us going there hours from where we live. Granted most of the people I saw were patients of one sort or another,but also their spouses, kids, or caregivers that were bringing them there. This urban survival topic was on my mind and all I could think was that almost everyone I saw would quickly succumb to any major disruption to the infrastructure of the country, including the spouses, kids, and caregivers accompanying the patients. Most of these folks could not be taught skills quickly enough to save them.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>oldfatguy wrote:
    Not true. I’ll teach anyone anything I know that they do not. Life has taught me that it’s better to be owed a favor, or friendship than money or other “currency”

I have to agree with Mountainbiker, I think you will be over whelmed with the number of students and other people trying to take advantage of you in a SHTF. In normal times the encounters are much fewer, tamer and the needs of the unskilled are not as great.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker & 74, I was out with my wife this last weekend to the stores and I stopped her to have her look at everyone passing by and to look at what I have been telling her that just about everyone that you are look at here can not make it in an all out SHTF. They do not have any skills at all.

I think that after two weeks 50% or more in the cities would die. So I think all this talk about the cities being a war zone may not be the facts. Maybe the first 30 days then after that you will have some criminals that have killed for food and have made it though.

I just do not see many making it after 30 days.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It’s hard to evaluate what a person is capable of achieving by looking at them, even if I do it all the time :) I think it just comes down to resources available and the persons ability to either have or obtain the basics and maintain them in whatever manner is necessary. Desperation will drive a lot of people to do things that would be unexpected any other time.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

One of the folks in my group is a judge in our local town. He is learning to be a mechanic. Says there are no uses for a lawyer/judge after SHTF.
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.