Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Another interesting video/view.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

He makes a great point. Your preps are only as good as your weakest link. It’s funny how we get caught up in the latest greatest. Survival is mostly about self reliance and that starts with you. If you are not healthy enough or capable enough to use your skills or gear, you are already dead. Good post Whirli.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It is all about how a economical collapse happens. If it only is hunger and no jobs then he is right but we have a government that is not getting along with 50% of the people and is passing/changing laws on executive orders. Will this government go try a take over become a dictator because he is not getting he’s way? Will a collapse start civil unrest which can go into a war of some type.

All of this may happen since it has not happen here before like other countries. We also have a history of a civil world that many countries do not. There are many factors that he was not thinking about. One is the U. S. population is from all over the world. His country is not the same. Every collapse comes with other problems and we just do not know what they will be. What we all know is there will be some type of collapse in the future.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually, the .gov of Argentina didn’t agree and get along with it’s citizens at the time of the collapse there, and still doesn’t.

He left Argentina some years back because he could before his family lost everything to the .gov, moved to Texas and has since emigrated to Ireland.

I’m not advocating that this is the only answer or way that something could happen, but it’s an interesting insight into one possibility of what has and may happen again.

It also makes one take a look at your preps in a different way. Which is always a good thing.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

No, preparedness is definitely not a waste of time.

Because every little bit counts. Every bit of knowledge and experience. Your first aid kit is going to help you when you burn at the stove. Your extra stored food might help after you loose your job. Why not prepare in the only way you possibly can, if you are old or sick? You can not be a expert in all the areas of living – being a doctor, mechanic, soldier, gardener ..fisherman

Yes, do prepare in a balanced way – but not for doomsday – Prepare for tomorrow. And with survival experience comes the knowledge of what your family need to be ready for first. If you want to train like a soldier – get fit, learn to fight and shoot. If you do not want to battle with the most basic stuff after everything falls apart – get a water tank and learn to grow vegetables. You may want to buy a hand mill to be able to bake a bread. learn how to sharpen a knife.

You need time to learn all these skills – I would say make a lifestyle out of it …or a hobby at least. You will start saving money soon enough. Simply being able to do things for yourself. Take responsibility for yourself and your family – prepare

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird I agree it is just we have a mix population who know which way it may go. In other countries that is not a world wide population like here. That is the first problem I see and the other is there is no country on earth with a constitution like our constitution which we have a lot of rights and freedoms.

I hope you are right and we end up with just a collapse with smaller problems.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I actually turned it off because many of the situations he referred to were not shtf problems. Losing a job or being foreclosed on is not a local, regional or national event. Dealing with food riots, no electricity, etc. Failure of civility on a mass scale is what I worry about. Ya if cars still work why would you walk? However if there is no gasoline and you are forced out of your location you better have a method to move your stuff other than a shopping cart. I’m guessing Leopard is living in worse conditions then this guy ever saw.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Whirlibird I agree it is just we have a mix population who know which way it may go. In other countries that is not a world wide population like here. That is the first problem I see and the other is there is no country on earth with a constitution like our constitution which we have a lot of rights and freedoms.

I hope you are right and we end up with just a collapse with smaller problems.

I hope I’m wrong and nothing happens.

The mixed populace is dependent on your area, even in the US.

Around here, there isn’t much mix to say the least.
    Although, we’d welcome a freedom loving Cuban.

In your area, the situation is completely different.
    The diversity is great, the political variety and such are completely backwards from here.

Things that happen there are completely different than what may happen here.
    For various reasons.

Be it religious reasons, ethnic reasons, common ‘situational’ reasons, who knows, but I expect a great deal of difference out of my neighbors than yours. That and I know that all of my neighbors prep for one reason or another.
    (Heavily LDS area @50%+)

I think a lot of what FerFAL was relating was that so many preppers are prepping/planning for the wrong reasons/situations.
    All those guys who are going to head for the hills, dragging their INCH bag along with a G19, molle plate carrier, gear and an AK. Planning to make their way with a ferro rod, some snare wire and no practice/knowledge. But is that the right decision both for what you can survive and the situation at hand?

Economic collapse, slow burn: I’m staying home.
    I have a better chance of surviving and do so comfortably where all my gear and such are.
    On foot, I’m not a survivor, I’m a refugee.

Radical, mass SHTF situation, unless it’s effecting my home immediately, I’m still staying home.
    Again, I have a better chance of surviving and do so comfortably where all my gear and such are.
    Where I am, there’s little chance of gang wars to say the least, so I’m not prepping heavily for that sort of occurrence. Where you are, that’s another matter.

Evaluate what may happen accordingly and make your plans/preps fit those needs.
    Don’t just prep to be prepping, prep with a plan, knowledge and a vision of the future.

Don’t prep and fail to live, failing to pay for your house, failing to live a ‘normal’ life with the kids and dogs and such.
    Unless you are independently wealthy, one has to consider work and what it does to you/for you. Etc.

It makes no sense for a prepper in deepest darkest Miami to prep for mountain living.
    Same for a prepper in Wyoming, the need for a sailboat is minimal unless you live near the Flaming Gorge, and even then a small motor boat makes more sense.

For example:
    There was a time I lived near water, I kept a boat available.
    I could feed myself and my family with what I could get with that little boat.
    Here and now, I can’t even kayak the river in town 99.9% of the time.
    It makes no sense to waste time, money and effort worrying about boats and such.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Leopard wrote:</div>No, preparedness is definitely not a waste of time.

Because every little bit counts. Every bit of knowledge and experience. Your first aid kit is going to help you when you burn at the stove. Your extra stored food might help after you loose your job. Why not prepare in the only way you possibly can, if you are old or sick? You can not be a expert in all the areas of living – being a doctor, mechanic, soldier, gardener ..fisherman

Yes, do prepare in a balanced way – but not for doomsday – Prepare for tomorrow. And with survival experience comes the knowledge of what your family need to be ready for first. If you want to train like a soldier – get fit, learn to fight and shoot. If you do not want to battle with the most basic stuff after everything falls apart – get a water tank and learn to grow vegetables. You may want to buy a hand mill to be able to bake a bread. learn how to sharpen a knife.

You need time to learn all these skills – I would say make a lifestyle out of it …or a hobby at least. You will start saving money soon enough. Simply being able to do things for yourself. Take responsibility for yourself and your family – prepare

The balance is what he’s been relating to for a while now.
    Finding what your needs may be and go from there, not just panic prepping and planning for EOTW solely.

For me, the hand mill makes little sense.
    There’s no way I can grow enough wheat here to amount to a floral arrangement.
    It’s more economical to buy flour and repackage it and put it in the freezer.
    Where we moved from, that was another matter. But even then it still was not a cost or labor effective means for us. A 50lb bag of flour is cost and labor effective for us.

Gardens around here require a greenhouse, we have a 90 day growing season at best. In a SHTF situation gardening will not be an option.

I have long advocated looking to the long view, for the slow burn. Planning for the things that happen, such as unemployment or injury.

Yes there may be hiccups in daily life, such as the LA riots, Hurricanes Sandy and Katrina, but with adequate planning for day to day living, these are minor instances that normally effect someone else.

You have power outages regularly, get a generator and store some fuel.
    You have floods, pack and build accordingly.
    You have tornados, build a shelter.
    You have a years worth of the basics put back, great you don’t need to spend the money shopping if you lose your job.

You plan for what can happen, you are generally prepared for what might happen.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird you are right the U. S. is very big so everywhere the prepping is not the same. Even in Miami it is not the same as New York City or Chicago. Miami is a city but I say 85% live in homes and there work in 10 to 30 miles away so it will not be the same. Downtown Miami is more of a city but were I live is not close to it. So even here there will be many ways to prepare.

In a financial collapse it all depends how big and how long it last. If it is a two to four year or longer we all are in trouble. If the dollar has a complete collapse it may last a long time since that has never happen here. But I agree with you even I will stay put. I do need to prepare more then you. I do have all my finances in line, paid off.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hurricane Sandy was mostly an inconvenience for people that owned beach houses and a few other people that are to stupid to recognize the dangers of living 4 feet above sea level next to an ocean thinking that nothing would ever happen. The real problem was the loss of tax revenues.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Oh yes 74 when hurricane Andrew happen the lost of revenue was so big here. The city government had to reduce everything.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.