Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

As drones become cheaper I can see this happening more and more.

Is it OK to shoot down a drone over your backyard?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/09/opinions/schneier-shoot-down-drones/index.html

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I haven’t seen any around my neighborhood yet and hope it stays that way. Drones will surely be subject to regulation soon. The inevitable accidents and peeping toms will be what drives it. In addition to basic safety issues, people do have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their homes and backyards.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Chester,
    Don’t get caught because right now most LE will arrest you. I suggest a hide to shoot from. Then there’s that discharging a firearm near a building, in the city or town limits and blah, blah blah. A good reason to have sound suppression.

Edited

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

YES !!!! you have a right to protect your privacy , and in some ways you could look at it as trespassing onto your land , flame them all !
    THey are a very useful tool in some cases , they are small , very portable , and good for spotting . They are using them on both sides of the Ukraine war because of that .
    A few people that do urbex and other exploration , use them to map out the best route for their 4WDs , like the guys that retrace old route 66 and explore abandoned mines .
    Unfortunately , they could also be used by a new breed of criminal , to scope out your house , etc.
    I say shoot them down .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Been thinking about this a lot lately, fathers of pretty girls do things like that.

Been thinking about an air cannon, no explosive charge so not a firearm.
    But firing a monofilament net that would/could get into the propellers of the device and bring it down near silently.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Courts have already ruled on these type incidents…. NO it is not okay to shoot down a drone if it is flying above your property especially if it is flying in what is considered “public air space.” That is determined by local laws. Where I live it is considered 12 feet above the tallest structure on the property being public domain. If whatever you do is in complete view of someone/something in public domain then you cannot do anything about it. You can actually be charged if you perform any lewd behaviors within view of someone/something in that public domain.

If you shoot down a drone that is in that area considered public domain you can be charged yourself and might even be charged if you are caught doing something within view of a drone flying overhead.

Check your local laws because the FAA has been chomping at the bit to charge someone for this sort of thing so that they can get control over drones.

http://ageofdecadence.com

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I have no plans to shoot a drone unless it’s shooting at me. We don’t have any issues here but it’s a trend. I’m curious how the technology might help in SHTF. It’s getting cheaper and my experiences suggest it’s pretty easy to operate.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I have seriously wondered what a decent laser would do to the cameras on these things. I would have zero problem pointing one at an UNmanned vehicle in the skies over my house, if there was even a reasonable suspicion the thing was filming my property. Burn the snot out of the sensor in that camera! I don’t give a cr@p where it flies after that.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Jam the signal , I guarantee you have a lot more juice plugging into your house than the operator has in his box . And if the thing crashes onto your property ……………..run it over , or burn it . If the jackass has any problems with that , the FAL or AK strapped to your shoulder may give him 2nd thoughts about starting any S%it .

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

ROFL! And very seriously, does anyone have any knowledge about the frequency(ies) these things operate on, and what kind of signal is needed to interfere with it (i.e. is it something as simple as a single modulated tone, AM, FM, varying frequecies or tones, etc.)? I’d suspect they’d have some sort of at least rudimentary channel selection or other method of avoiding interference from other devices, for examples. So does anyone know what might override built in protection?

Still, if larger “gummint” vehicles decided to park themselves or fly a pattern over my property, I suspect they’d be using frequencies other than the smaller “hobby” drones, and would have more sophisticated means of avoiding interference. So the “backup” laser would still seem to be a great idea for those types, if they’d work. Sure, I’m not so dumb to know that I’d be right there on their video just before the bright green flash on their screen turns to hash. But then it’s at least me against them with a 4th Amendment battle in court. If they’re looking that closely that they can identify facial features in my yard, they’re unreasonably searching, and I suspect that there are a number of organizations that would gladly take up such a case with deeper pockets than mine. Alternately, “I was only trying out a new laser on my weapon, officer – I didn’t fire at anybody, and it wasn’t even loaded! I had no idea that would hurt your poor little drone. It just seemed like a perfect opportunity just happened to present itself, to try out that new laser on a moving target to see if I could put a spot on a practice target. Completely innocent, officer!”

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well actually , it cant be that difficult , both sides in the Ukraine war are doing just that with not very high tech equipment . As for knowledge , the internet is a great library . As for actually shooting them down , they are very difficult to hit . Your talking something that is at best 4.5 feet square in many cases , and little mass . They are pretty much 4 engines and a camera , with a lot of hollow space between , at altitude , a person would be very lucky to hit one ……….and thats if its standing still . We are talking about civilian hobby drones , not sophisticated military drones , think more along the lines of an RC airplane . Which is why jamming and in some cases , capturing those things in the Ukraine , is able to be accomplished by guys that are not exactly brain trusts . From what I have seen , the equipment is not military , but cobbled together equipment , easily available on the civilian market , mundane equipment at that . A radio transmitter , etc , etc .
    As far as the govment drones go ………….you wont even see them or really know they are there , what your going to be seeing is what I just described . Johnny Jackass , Backyard Bubba , or Breach baby O’Brian with their new toy .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

” I’m curious how the technology might help in SHTF.” Chester

We had a few threads with this discussion in the past . The obvious benefits would be great for Intel, but there are negatives as well. It will draw immediate attention to the user. You can’t land it near your static location, (well unless everyone knows where you are to start with and you don’t care because you have a have a walled fort). People will follow it until they find the source. Like following bees to honey. That fact might be used as a ruse or to create an ambush or some other tactical reason, but someone will follow it. imho

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Hobby drones use RF frequencies at 2.4 GHZ and 5.8 GHZ. If you have a good HAM radio that does DC to daylight you can just make a dipole antenna for that band and broadcast at 100 watts on whatever freq you see the needle bounce. Of course you would get a call from the FCC for doing it.

The commercially available jammers from China can be used, but then again you are breaking the law and it is a law where the FCC actually monitors to prosecute people.

Here is a copy/paste from the code on it:

Blocking & Jamming

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (“Act”). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Sorry to keep raining on your anti-drone parade, guys. There really is nothing you can do about these drones. Hobby drones are protected if they are in public air space and small government recon drones operate at altitudes of 8000 feet. You can’t see the government ones at that altitude. It would be like reading a camo shoe box label at over a mile.

Just get one for yourself because they would be useful for all sorts of situations and realize that anything you do outside your house or inside if your windows are not blacked out is subject to photo/video surveillance.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“or inside if your windows are not blacked out is subject to photo/video surveillance.” This one is subject to differing State laws. In my state there is an expectation of privacy, capturing video inside a home is illegal. Capturing audio conversations without permission is strictly forbidden.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

“or inside if your windows are not blacked out is subject to photo/video surveillance.” This one is subject to differing State laws. In my state there is an expectation of privacy, capturing video inside a home is illegal. Capturing audio conversations without permission is strictly forbidden.

Federal court has gone back and forth on this…. I was trying to ensure everyone knew that shooting down or interfering with a drone was not a legal option. The drones and drone operators have more rights than those being filmed in most situations.

You are right though. For most of us it is a matter of local laws unless we tick of a gov group that runs one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.