Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ValleyGal
    ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

I am working on a Kindle, so nothing fancy with formatting. I am an EMT & not a MEDIC but I could not find an appropriate badge. I am a retired emergency manager. For yrs my primary concentration was in psychiatric medicine. You could say I have 2 strikes against me with this group b/c I worked in gov’t & my discipline & training is in psychiatric . Social work. I’ve been with Red Cross national disaster services. It’s been a wonderful experience & I’ve travelled all over the country living in very primitive environments, sometimes sleeping side by side on the floor with 500 survivors. I’ve loved almost every minute of it for over 20 yrs. I developed a community disaster mental health response team for the Commonwealth of Virginia. What I’ve really loved is being a volunteer serving fire, rescue, police after they have terribly traumatic events, I.e. children killed in train crash, suicides, child deaths when their care givers were suspected o f being the preps, for close to 30 yrs. It’s an EMS program called critical incident stress management. I became an EMT to get special skills in travelling w/o the Red Cross. I’m lucky to live in the mid-Atlantic on the Blue Ridge Mtns/Shenandoal Valley. Sister to 6, mother to 5, wife to 1. I garden, forage, can/preserve, etc. Have learned through my husband’s family to butcher hogs & chickens. Most of my old skills I learned from my husband who taught me to garden, can &

"When opportunity knocks......
    some people object to the noise"

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi valleygal,
    No strikes, no balls, your at bat with a clean record. Nobody here has any ill will. We disagree occasionally but as a whole everyone’s comments are valued.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome. You bring valuable perspective to the group. Come a longer term and widespread SHTF event, many will find themselves having to contend with those who have poor coping skills and mental health issues. Druggies who are cut off from their suppliers will be particularly problematic. The topic deserves its own thread.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome ValleyGal. I believe your skills have been and will be invaluable in a SHTF situation as many will be suffering from PTSD., although many will not recognize it as such. I feel as though your expertise in helping others develope coping skills will be sorely needed Ron S

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Welcome, ValleyGal.

If you didn’t have any medications during SHFT, how would you deal with depression and anxiety?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome ValleyGal, You have a lot of skills that you need to post one by one. Working in the Red Cross national disaster services you have seen a lot and know how to deal with some of what may happen in a SHTF times. We have many members here that have many different skills that you can read the older post listed in each categories.

74 is right that we disagree occasionally but are a great group.

ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

You all do a great hello. Thanks. I dropped off of most of the prepper lists b/c of the intolerance toward people with my background in gov’t & SW; seemed terribly juvinile.There are a number of great sites with lots of info, like Dr . Bones & Nurse Amy, but I was looking for dialogue, not just skill development. I don’t mind disagreement at all & have been told i’m too much of a hot head on occasion. Yeah, I do have lots of experience & have been preparing since I was in college, so you can see I’m not quite old as moses. My father influenced my ideas while I was in high school. Yes, i’m originally a CityGal, born in DC & raised 15 miles outside of the city. My friends thought I was a nut for marrying a country boy from the mtns, who lived on a small farm, family w/ 9 kids raising almost all their food. The kids started working in the fields @ age 5. My dad worked on an Army program preparing for nuclear war & rebuilding the country afterwards. Being the eldest of 7, my mother and I realized w/ Kennedy’s threat to the Russians in 1962, that my dad expected nuclear war w/in 24 hrs. Even though he had been secreting supplies away, living just a short distance from the city, we would be toast. So I’ve spent my life preparing years before anyone used the term Prepper. I’ve seen horrors on long term deployments, listened to police cry over child deaths, bundled dead bodies when I ran w/ Rescue, and I feel that you guys are just what I was looking for. I will follow up with your recommendations. plan to sign up for the course tomorrow. I can learn so much from all of you. THANKS…

Profile photo of twobravo
    twobravo
    Medic
    rprepper

Welcome, from a former Emergency Manger, and Firefighter/EMT-B of almost a decade.

Be good, or be good at it.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

*edit, where are my manners, Hello and welcome!

off topic, but much respect to leo’s, medics and fire fighters. hopefully the bad apples don’t sour your taste for people in general, there are still lots of good people out there.

only time ive ever had issue with leos or medics was because the bad apples fed them a story, and the medic didn’t like drunks. (alcohol poisoning once… and only because I hardly drink and they convinced the waitress to give me doubles or triple screwdrivers without telling me…) emt saved my life anyway.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Its a good group, lots of varying knowledge and experience.

And from one ex-cop, its always good to get different perspectives.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here ValleyGal, and thank you for nice introduction!

ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

Selco, I truly mean thanks to everyone who responded to my Intro. I was cautious as before I formally joined, I had read quite a lot on the List . & realized social service types, let alone gov’t employees, were pretty broadly painted as either inept & lazy, or uncaring without an ounce of advocacy for clients, let alone would ever go the extra mile. I was won over by member’s honesty & their stories. In all my years with interest in preparing, I never realized that as a group, how many survivalists/preppers (I don’t know what to call us), have had & a number still do, struggles & experienced terrible events in their lives. All of a sudden a light bulb went off. I am fascinated by reading what caused members to become interested in prepping. This List is a life saver for me. Its not just didactic nor do any of the members i’ve read rant & scream cussing incessantly so that the message gets lost. i’ve gotten too long winded when all I originally wanted to say is how much I enjoy the articles you write & those of members. Whew, finally I have found a List that gives me the info I need. Thank you.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

ValleyGal,
    I’ve been one to comment negatively about so-so services over the years.
    Arguably with some reason, I’ve literally only met one ‘good’ social worker, and she didn’t last long.
    The rest were promoted to their highest level of incompetence and seemed self-empowered to an almost alcoholic level with their assumed power. Most times I had to deal with out local offices, I was trying to keep the people involved from being victimized more by our local workers then the criminals had done.
    Making up laws and rules as it fit them, letting personal vendettas play into the assistance given and more.
    So after all that, let me apologize in advance for any comments and such that I may put forth later.

This really is a good group, with lots of practical experience and knowledge to share and the information to back up what they say.

Prepper or survivalist? I guess that all depends on your perspective.
    Personally prepping is what I do, but not just for survival. It’s just a word for getting ready to do something, I do a lot of prepping in the kitchen before dinner.

Survivalists/Survivalism has a permanent black eye thanks to certain criminal elements and situations.
    That doesn’t mean that this isn’t what we are. We are planning and prepping to survive.

Again, welcome.

ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

Hi Whirlibird, I have a pretty tough skin, see the social workl side of me has been practicing in a lot of venues for forty yrs. I’ve practiced in halfway houses, in adult psychiatric wards, in disaster relief, with forensic settings, with sex offenders, addicts, alcoholics, persons who are mentally retarded, etc, etc, etc. Yes, my training & discipline is casework, with many different populations. loved most of it, even the angriest of clients & families who probably wanted To choke me on occasion. I did often have to abide by state laws, some good & other’s nonsensical. My favorite work has been with vets, police/fire/rescue after traumas, emergency management and most of all national disaster response.Most disaster response work was as a Red Cross volunteer in casework and as an EMT. I didn’t become an EMT until I was 58 & I volunteered with the local Rescue Squad. WHEW! This old lady was running calls with kids as young as 16-18 yrs old. I love the disaster work b/c my mother was a Red Cross vol for 4 yrs in Europe during WW 2, assigned to Gen. Omar Bradley’s Army Division. Additionally it’s a way for me to “pay back” those who helped me in ’85, when my home was flooded out with 3-4 feet of water. So, I am no longer a bleeding heart but a middle road moderate. I’ve had to take a hiatus in deployments b/c I came back from a month in Minot ND 2 yrs. ago major ortho problems which required a few surgeries. Now on the mend. I”m so glad I stumbled into this site. You can’t jump into the back of an ambulance if your feet hurt. So, you can just growl away & no hard feelings. I support gun ownership, law enforcement, our military (my youngest is in the Army, Combat Engineering), and I am very disturbed by the whole Ferguson mess. Thugs and anarchists should not rule the day. Continue to share
    …..

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome ValleyGal! When your feet hurt/don’t work properly it sure does color your world right? Sounds like you have had a fascinating life to date and have lots to share here. Look forward to it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.