Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

This afternoon I was reminded that come SHTF do not get on the interstate highways no matter how far you need to travel. I was on I81 in Northern Virginia when it suddenly came to a dead stop due to an apparently bad accident about 3 miles ahead of me. At least one of the vehicles was an 18 wheeler. We sat there for maybe an hour and forty minutes and then it took another 15 or 20 minutes to get up to full speed again. I can only imagine how many miles the traffic was backed up behind us given traffic was pretty heavy at the time. Were this a SHTF situation, we couldn’t assume emergency crews and tow trucks would be coming to address the situation and it wouldn’t have been a trivial matter to get the 18 wheeler out of the roadway. The logistics of getting those thousands of vehicles & trucks turned around so as to get off the highway is easier said than done as well. Today was a mild day temperature-wise but if it was winter, there surely would have been some who kept their cars running that then ran out of gas making it all the more difficult for everyone else to find a way off of the highway.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Depending on your state , but its a good idea to get a map of the County maintained roads , some are dirt , but most of the time they interconnect , and are not on the beaten path .

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Maps will still work when the GPS doesn’t. I have a very detailed atlases for most of New England and Eastern NY and always carry a current national atlas in the car. They’re not much help though when you are blocked in and stuck on an interstate highway such as I was reminded of today.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Glad to see you’re almost there MB.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In a real shtf not a local or regional issue you know order will be restored, you can leave the interstates. Your vehicle may need to cross off road conditions but you can leave. Tools capable of cutting heavy chain link fence is all that is needed. A good bolt cutter and a hacksaw would work in most instances. Selecting the proper place to exit is key to avoid obstacles your vehicle couldn’t cross.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, good points about bolt cutters and hacksaws. If one is trying to get out of Dodge in a major SHTF scenario where the usual rules aren’t going to apply, having those tools with you could prove to be a lifesaver.
    Any of us here that happen to live close to interstate highways, especially if close to an entrance/exit, should keep in mind that you could be the recipient of thousands of people exiting the interstate into your neighborhood as a result of a blockage such as I was in yesterday.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB good points as well. If you cut your way out, expect others to follow you. Some of them may not want to wait for you to get your vehicle out first, and things can get dangerous. From my own experience I can attest to that.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I keep US Forest Service maps handy too. We are based in the West region of the US (not kalifornia) and the maps are handy. Staying off the interstate is no brainer. The SUV has a car bag with sorted items for emergencies including rifle / pistol and extra ammo.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Just drove from Central Indiana to Louisiana and back without using the Interstate. It might have been a little bit slower, but no hassles. It was really a test to see how hard it would be while we were on vacation with no time constraints. With a quality road atlas we never got lost. Plus saw some interesting things that would not have seen otherwise. Wife got to see a baby buffalo running with it’s mom on a farm in Mississippi.

Realize during SHTF it would a little trickier, but still was a confidence booster.

Am going to add bolt cutters to the car bag. A great idea.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ha, no interstate?
    Certain places that’s the only way through that is passable some times during the year.

We have roads here that are on the map but are a challenge in a full size Bronco with 31″ tires in normal weather. Others are so washboarded that you are creeping at best.

Other times during the year (winter) the interstate is the only way that is clear.

We recently had a massive pileup a couple hundred miles east of here, the interstate was closed clear over on this side of the state, because there was nothing between here and there, no rooms, no parking, nothing.

Something else to consider, all it takes is one toothless redneck with a chainsaw and a .22 and you’re just as stuck as if you were on the pavement, perhaps more so, depending on the area.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Agree, you need to understand the terrain and the roads, and be equipped to handle those conditions. I would not be ready to handle the conditions that you describe. Both SUV and pickup have good tires for offloading in my area, but would not handle something that requires a Bronco with 31″ tires. As for the redneck with the chainsaw, I will take my chances rather than sitting on the interstate with the Golden Horde. There is no perfect solution. Those who do not understand that, will probably be culled from the herd early on. Learn and adapt is the best we can hope for.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“We recently had a massive pileup a couple hundred miles east of here, the interstate was closed clear over on this side of the state, because there was nothing between here and there, no rooms, no parking, nothing.” – Whirlybird

If they quit using the highway as a cow path out where you live, there wouldn’t be so many piles on the road.:)

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

If only you knew……

Actually so many of our issues come from either sunshine state drivers or the foreign nationals, I won’t tell any stories so I don’t offend anyone by lumping all truckers together like some might.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I figure almost all the problems come from “out of staters”

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Most times – at least east of the Mississippi, not sure about west of it – the Interstate parallels the old state routes.

Take I-75 for example. Most times, it’s less than one mile from old Highway 27. Sometimes, it IS Highway 27 in that they overlap. I’ve been stuck on I-75 before and literally looked over to the right – the only thing separating me from State Route 27 (which was literally right there – I could see it) was a puny 4 foot tall fence, held up by t-posts… and 27 was completely deserted. Not even a tractor or a kid on a bike. Soooo tempting to just throw it in 4WD, hook a right, barrel over the fence and just keep on going…

Boltcutters and other cutting instruments, yes. A big thumbs up for that.

But also remember that sometimes the Interstate borders someone’s property… and that someone might not take too kindly to you chopping a hole in the fence, allowing you and all of creation onto his property… most rural folks are armed. Some more than others.

And, if it’s SHTF and there’s no more Rule of Law, what’s to stop Farmer Brown from opening up on you all? I mean, other than his good graces? Look at it from his point of view – he knows that the SHTF and that his property borders the interstate. All of a sudden, here comes a howling mob over the hill on his back 40 in 4WD vehicles….

I was trying to get home from Mordor once – the District of Criminals – and I swear to the Almighty, there was a military vehicle that had flipped while carrying a load of missiles. Highway was shut down, period.

I had a detailed map of the area, but that didn’t help much. DC during the PM rush hour, and throw in a truckload of surface to air missiles laying in the road? Yeah… not so good.

Took me 6 hours to clear the area, just due to the sheer volume of as- “other drivers” on the road. Got to see some nice country though… civil war battlefields and such…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.