Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

I was just browsing through the Sportsman’s Guide web page and I saw these new arrowheads that carry a .38 special or .357 magnum cartridge. Pretty intriguing, but at just over $6 (plus the price of the cartridge) a shot for a 1 time use arrowhead, not all that curious to try them out. I would expect you to loose a fair bit of the cartridges force to the fact that the plastic will not contain and direct the force as efficiently as the chamber of a gun, but it should still provide a significant boost to the arrows force at impact. Launching it from a bow or crossbow will still be silent, but the cartridge firing on impact would definitely signal where the target was.

Rob

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Neat concept, but I wouldn’t buy it. If I’m using a bow, I’ll use the proper arrows/arrowheads. If I needed that extra bit of power that a bullet would add, then I’d use a firearm.

But, it does make for some neat James Bond ideas lol

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I remember something similar back when Rambo was popular.

Still not a good idea.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

The type used in Rambo were explosive. Which, in reality, wouldn’t be all that hard to produce should the need for explosive tipped arrows arise.

Just sayin’…. lol

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Yup, those were.
    However around the same time, a cartridge firing version was made.

They were unreliable unless the arrow (head) struck almost straight on.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I also would use arrow/arrowhead only if need more power use a gun or rifle.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Reminds me of the “bang stick” that Jacques Cousteau and his divers used to use against sharks. Same principal. Had a shotgun shell spring loaded at the end of a long stick. Sharks came sniffing around wanting to munch of the divers and they would jam the stick into the side of the shark. It would go “thump” and the shell would spray pellets into the shark, which would then keel over and nose down, trailing blood like a wounded WWI fighter plane trailing smoke and spiraling in.

Wouldn’t be too hard to adapt the “bang stick” technology to the end of an arrow. Spring loaded tube screwed together with a cartridge in the end. Don’t even need a barrel, since the whole point of a barrel is to stabilize the bullet on the way to the target. I don’t think it would make much noise going off, being as it would be pressed up against an animal’s hide when it did… more of a low “thump”, since the hide and meat would muffle the report.

Of course, if I did make one – even just “proof of concept” that I would never use – the ATF goons would probably come for me… making some verboten ****, or whatever their Rule of the Day currently is…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

And that’s why we don’t post illegal stuff online! lol

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Nice ideas there Malgus! :)

Considering the latest compound bows are already pretty strong and have lots of force I don’t really know the scenario in which this could be useful. Funny to see that this exists though.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.