Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

One would think that after 5 days, a hurricane, and more, someone would have something to say.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hey Whirlibird, I have not posted because after 8 years of Obama and not having a job finally he is out and Trump is in and JOBS are back here in Miami, Florida. I am working again!!!! I am starting a construction company with a partner/long time friend that also has not develop in 8 years. We have many projects to bid on in the next six months so I am working full time. Feels very good.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Good for you!
    Can’t wish you enough luck.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Good for you, Freedom! Get it while you can. If you run out of work in Florida, there’s lots to demo/rebuild in SE Texas.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes LT, We are thinking about that too. We are licensed as general contractors in Florida which has one of the strongest code in the nation so Texas lets us work there after a registration which is very easy for us.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Might have work local, looks like Irma is possibly headed your way.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Freedom, I empathize. I was forced to retire from the military about three years ago, thanks to the cutbacks; however, I decided to return to school and finish my degree. Hopefully, I’ll get something better.
    Whirlibird, I actually checked back on this site because of the hurricane! I’ve been gone two and a half years, but I wanted to return after seeing the devastation. I haven’t stopped prepping in the duration, but I’ve wanted to get caught up on the latest developments.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

no devastation here in upny just cw2. Its polar.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

One of the weather models has Irma slamming into Jersey before heading north into NY, but…then again….how much can we trust the weather?

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I’ve not even checked in the past few days, after being “trained” that there’s not likely to be anything here anyway. Personally, I find it sad. We had so many good, decent folks from all over the world that just aren’t here anymore – it’s the same 5-6 people, and even the frequency of those 5-6 has decreased substantially. One or two previously tried to blame it on too much focus on U.S. political issues, but that doesn’t wash for me – the Africa threads dried up anyway, and we’ve lost (apparently) at least two good folks from there for unknown reasons. We used to get good updates from our Greek member, but he’s not even answering my private emails, after saying he’d had some health issues. We had threads that had nothing to do with U.S. politics that died on their own. So for whatever reason, apparently people’s interests have changed, or circumstances in some of the more troubled areas of the world beyond the U.S. have made it impossible or impractical to participate, or whatever. Heck – I don’t even see any activity in quite some time from Selco or Toby here in the Forum.

Freedom, I’m really glad for you, employment wise. You’ll be in my prayers, though. I see that the latest Irma forecast is for it to come right up through Florida – it seems now to be mostly a question of which side or up the middle. And it’s already a Cat-5 and the strongest ever in the Atlantic, outside of the Caribbean or Gulf. Looks really serious! Current hurricane force winds extend wider than the entire Florida peninsula, so if it comes up the middle, there would be serious danger from one coast to the other. (Personally, we’re concerned because if it heads up the west coast of Florida, we’re in serious trouble where I live unless strength diminishes considerably by this weekend.) In any case, prayers for Florida and the Southeast, as well as the nation.

One other thought – does anyone know how to get emails notifying of brand new threads? I can only get emails for existing threads for which I’ve requested follow-up replies. Thus, after not checking for 3-4 days, I didn’t know we had at least three new, active threads here – only that there was zero activity on any of the existing threads. That might help activity if we could be notified when a new thread is created.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Well Free it looks like you will certainly have job security in the coming months. We are praying for you and my family and friends that live in Florida. GS I have been gone a long time. To be honest the reason I came back on now was to see if Free was still around and to wish him the best. I’m sure the reasons for leaving will vary from person to person but there is only so much survival information one can digest or discuss. Before I left I noticed that it seemed we were running out of things to say except about current events and politics. There are only so many ways to build a fire, make a shelter, checklists to make, routes to plan and gadgets to acquire. There is a treasure trove of info in these forums and on the site. The volume is staggering. Just look in the archives. Where this may no longer be a chatroom like it was before, we have amassed views and techniques from all walks of life in every different kind of environment both social and ecological, that will serve whoever wants the knowledge well. It is a library of survival and we all built it. The other thing is that spending time here takes away from other areas in life. I got very busy with work and family and they come first. I learned a lot here and I feel much safer and well informed than I did before I got here. This is still a great rally point to check on people and localized current events. The nation wide disasters are a great barometer for the state of our country and foretelling possible future economic trends due to insurance claims or forfeiture of mortgage loans. It is a great place to sound off if you see odd behavior in your region that everyone might want to keep an eye on. A good example was the comment you made about gun confiscation in a US territory in preparation for the hurricane in another thread. I mean they just disarmed a whole island and nobody put up a fight because they were more concerned with surviving and preparing for the storm. All I’m saying is that this forum has evolved. It isn’t dead it has just changed function.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

GS, Matt,

Well, I’m glad that you guys are around! Ironically, when I “checked out” three years ago, I remember there being so many posts, comments, and replies it was nearly impossible to keep up. As a matter of fact it was a little overwhelming. I didn’t leave because of that, though. I left because life simply became too busy to dedicate the time and energy to, not only personal prepping, but keeping up with the forums. Now I regret it as I feel I missed out on so much.

Honestly, I try to stay away from the political stuff only because I get too involved with that on Facebook and get needlessly frustrated or angry. I kind of wanted a sanctuary from that, but I don’t old it against anybody who wants to discuss it.

As far as the archived info….I have a lot of catching up to do. It’s a shame that any future topics I may post will have such a diminished audience, but that’s there loss I suppose.

What happened to Selco and Jay?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Inshala I know what you mean about the posts. You could be watching a post for replies and in 10 minutes the topic would be off the screen because of all the replies to all the threads. It was nearly overwhelming for sure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.