Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of prepwolf
    prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

First off, I don’t condone violence or criminal activity, I don’t glorify gangs, drugs, firearms or any of that. Sure I have my views on what really defines a criminal but that’s not what this topic is about. I just want to start off by giving you a quick update on my background – since every background is a part of every person and his/her choices and ways of thinking today. That said, I haven’t been in any life changing big accidents, natural disasters (except some hurricane that barely classified as a hurricane) or wars. I will explain.

I didn’t know what to call this but my SHTF-related experiences definately comes from a life of alienation, not a single particular event. I was born working class and even though I didn’t grew up in the projects I moved there by myself when I was 15. I didn’t really go to school or anything back then, and I actually ran with a gang. It was rough, sure, but overall probably nothing compared to what others been through. Most of us was very young and it wasn’t exactly American style drive-by gangbanging but it was violent at times, we had dust offs with law enforcement and got banned from most clubs and even some public areas in the city I lived in at that time. Like I said, it wasn’t THAT serious and we were very young – but it did alienate me.

My life choices put me outside of the general society and for many years even after I moved to get rid of it all, I still felt like everyone I saw around me on a regular day was the enemy. In my mind they where either undercover cops, other gangmembers or someone from the public (who would report you). This way of thinking was obviously extremely antisocial and it continued to push me further from the mainstream. By that time I had abandoned the wannabe-gangsta-part and I had gotten involved with political groups. We mostly fought neo-nazi groups (not gangs, but political groups) and alot of the actions we took part in ended up in full fledged riots complete with skirmishes with riot police, burning barricades, teargas, shootings and petrol bombs. Most of this was in Sweden but back then I lived right by the border, like 20 minutes from Denmark so we hade beef with the Danish riot police aswell.

After a few years it all settled (maybe it continued for the younger generation though). The political climate changed and the country eventually got out of the financial crisis we had over here back then. The neo-nazi groups disbanded and disappeared at large, and the anti-nazi resistance groups followed. By this time I had began my struggle to leave all bad times behind and get a regular job and so on, I started working in a warehouse and later a factory and it was fine for a few years. I focused on positive things, got to know new people and I found my way back into the great outdoors. I hiked, bought a mountainbike and I found out about survivalism and prepardness. Then I lost my job and once again resorted to a very destructive way of life, but I didn’t take it that far this time and when I met my girlfriend a few years back I really started to shape up (or at least try).

Unfortunately, life (or perhaps karma…) didn’t want to give me a break and shortly after this we both had to leave everything (as in homes, friends and the stuff we owned) behind and run. There was simply no time to collect our belongings, finish stuff off, talk to people, pay the bills – we just had to leave. I don’t want to disclose the reasons but it wasn’t anything related to any criminal activity, not at all.

The first month or so it felt normal, almost like a romantic adventure. I also did some well planned returns to my old home to retrieve more stuff and I also figured it was still mine and that I would return one day. It took me some time to realize what had happened. We never did return, and for about a year we found shelters at different locations and lived on couches, rented places off the record, we moved several times and carried all our stuff in plastic bags and suitcases and I suddenly got a whole new understanding for how refugees must feel. We couldn’t use our social security numbers or bank accounts for a long time so we got cut off from alot of the public services and other functions of the modern society. At the worst moments we didn’t have a safe place at all and had to carry everything at all times, not being able to put all those bags down and do something normal is extremely frustrating and watching life going on as normal around you makes it even worse.

We have moved a couple of times this year aswell and things aren’t back to normal yet. And I guess that’s one of the big points here, I don’t think they ever will because I don’t know if there really is anything called normal. Normal, average, everyday life, security – my life has repeatedly showed me that those things are often made up.

So, why did I have you read this? What does this have to do with SHTF-scenarios and the prepper way of life? I look at it this way. Like I said, I really think that taking peace, average, normal, everyday life, going to work and stuff like that for granted could be extremely dangerous. I can’t imagine how it would feel to see a war unravel in front of my eyes, what emotions would be put into play or anything like that. But I can really relate to alot of the things Selco describes when it comes to feelings associated with a false security being ripped away from you without prior notice. I don’t know if anything I’ve been through would make a difference if something like this happened here, and I’m actually not planning to ever find out either. One of the things I plan for is actually bugging out long before something happens, we have alot of **** going on in this part of Europe that most people aren’t even aware of.

I personally haven’t been that violent as the text might make it seem. But I’ve seen some action and I’ve always lived a life very close to violence and FUBAR-situations. But to sum it up, I don’t think that matters in a real SHTF-scenario. Violence is hardwired into the human race, you can probably enhance your chances by learning how to fight and keep your body fit but when it all comes down to it I think instincts and adrenaline will take over.

Instead, this is what I’ve learned and what I believe could aid me in a future SHTF-scenario:

– I don’t feel as tied down as I used to. I’d have no problem to leave my home, my belongings and my social networks behind if I had to. I’ve been force to do it before and yes, the first time it was very traumatizing, but not anymore.

– I don’t trust the government, the authoritys or the official media channels. I’ve experienced their incompetence my entire life and I know that they mostly lie about what’s going on by being a part of conflicts and situations myself instead of just hearing about it on the news.

– In social situations today, when there is no conflict or lawless state going on I’m a very caring and helpful person, and I guess that would be something to really keep in mind if I was to find myself in a situation similar to Selco’s during his year under siege. But I’m used to “shutting off” and I’m not at all unfamiliar to the mindset “everyone is the enemy”.

I think those kinds of insight and experiences are the first step to survive. The second ones would be good health, and the third one actual skills and techniques (first aid, healthcare, craftmanship, water extraction, fixing car engines and so on). If you have any thoughts, feedback, if you disagree, agree or have any questions just fire away. Thank you.

"Certainly We have created man to struggle" - Qur'an 90:4

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Prepwolf,
    Looking forward to your future comments and contributions.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Actually Prepwolf you are doing great. Some folks would be all messed up with regret or PTSD. Hold on to the people that you love and that will be comfort to you now and in the future. As you found out, stuff is just stuff.
    Robin

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks Prepwolf. I enjoyed reading your Insights. You give us just enough to get our imagination rolling. (Maybe one day, you can write a book with all the details – when its safe)

Very small percentage of the feeling – long time ago, traveling through a new country, where very little people spoke English, with just my backpack, I landed up lost in a city one night. The hotel with whom I made a booking in advance said I arrived to late – fully booked – flight was delayed. It wasn’t fun.

Bad things can happen everyday. And everyday people need to make decisions how to react to situations. You are late for important meeting. You can not drive through a bad neighborhood to shorten your route – do not make it worse. Or someone got in an accident – don’t make it worse by driving to fast yourself trying to reach them. Try to make good decisions everyday.

If life hits you down – get up- make it better. Somehow you need to ‘fight’ and keep on fighting – even if its against ourselves.

I pray often that my young son will never experience hunger or cold ..violence. I hope life will treat our young people with the freedom they deserve. They need to feel safe and loved..respected.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

prepwolf, keep us posted. You will do well in any SHTF collapse of the government there.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Interesting reading..

I won’t ask you any about the circumstances surrounding your hasty departure, though I confess I am curious. A man’s business is his own and if you want to let us know, then you will when and if you are ready…

I take comfort in that the human spirit is indomitable, even in the face of severe hardship. You have my respect.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks for the caring response. I think I need to clarify a few things before I continue though. This thread is about SHTF-experiences out of a survivalist perspective. As I mentioned I haven’t experienced things like severe hurricanes, floods or plane crashes but I still think I have gotten alot of important lessons by just living a life that has sometimes been really shitty, pardon my French. This means that even though I don’t feel like I exaggerated anything, please have in mind that I only mentioned the bad (topic related) parts of my life in my first post. I’ve had alot of good times, met alot of good people and my childhood was great.

74:
    Thank you, looking forward to get the time (hopefully within the next few weeks) to catch up and really get to know this board aswell.

Robin:
    I know what you mean but then again, what is messed up and who says I’m not? :P

Leopard:
    I understand. We all wish our loved ones would never endure any kind of pain or suffering and as long as you’re aware of reality and keep yourself somewhat prepared thats fine. Thank you for your kind words.

freedom:
    Thank you freedom. Perhaps, and perhaps not. I know I might have better odds then the average Joe over here due to my views upon things but obviously also through experience and prepardness. But I don’t know how I would react in situations I haven’t been in, and I feel like I barely made it so far so I’m not planning on staying here long enough to find out.

Malgus:
    I can understand that you, and all of you guys for that matter, must be curious since I made my life sound like a bad movie script. If I ever share my whole story with the world I’ll let you all know. However I thank you and I often feel the same, I’m glad you felt inspired by reading my post.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

It is exactly that attitude that a survivalist need to pull through hardship. To also see the good in life in bad times. To appreciate the little that you have got now, knowing things can be even worse.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for sharing this Prepwolf, I like it because we have lot of similar thoughts.
    As for the life experience,it is what it is, we just need to pull best from it, even if that are some bad experience there are still good lessons to pull it from it.

As for the problems that we might have because our experiences, again it is life too, we just need to accept it and pull the best from it. I know that very well.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

A great author once said, that as we go through life the decisions we make effect the arc of our life. There is no right or wrong in those decisions, just how we choose to live our life. I hope that as you go forward, you will find peace in your life. It sounds like you have a partner to share it with. Always a good thing.

Look forward to your insights in the future.

prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

Selco:
    As you surely know it can sometimes be extremely hard to accept various situations life puts you in, but you’re absolutely right, when it all comes down to it the only option is to walk it off.

Roadracer:
    Those are wise words indeed. And yes, I have a great partner. She is much younger then me but her fighting spirit and mental strength greatly exceed my own. I don’t consider me weak but she has been through even more crap then me and we give and take strength from each other.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

And yes, I have a great partner. She is much younger then me but her fighting spirit and mental strength greatly exceed my own. I don’t consider me weak but she has been through even more crap then me and we give and take strength from each other.

Definitely “must have” is someone that can understand you, even when you do not want to be understand from anyone.
    I was alone in some hard periods of my life and because that, it was much harder to go trough everything.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.